Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

LordBest

Practically Family
Do they not have Horlicks in supermarkets in Melbourne? I used to get it from Safeway (in Ballarat) some years ago now, I assumed they would still carry it.

Smithy said:
I go in there about once a month or so for Golden Shred marmalade, jaffa cakes, prawn cocktail chips and Horlicks.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
LordBest said:
Do they not have Horlicks in supermarkets in Melbourne? I used to get it from Safeway (in Ballarat) some years ago now, I assumed they would still carry it.

They haven't had it at our local Coles or IGA so I've been picking it up at the British stores when I see it LordBest. Maybe I need to try Safeways.

There's a couple of British things here in Oz which aren't stocked in every supermarket (which is a little different from NZ), Horlicks being one, Colman's mustard powder and Branston Pickle being others. It's no biggie though, I can always rustle them up from somewhere.

Miss Elise, you're never too old to try! I might just have to whisk one up from old times' sake as well.

swinggal

One Too Many
Horlicks is in Coles and Woolies (Safeway for you easties) here and IGA. Hmmm...how odd that you can't get it there. They even used to advertise it on TV a while back.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
swinggal said:
Horlicks is in Coles and Woolies (Safeway for you easties) here and IGA. Hmmm...how odd that you can't get it there. They even used to advertise it on TV a while back.

Sounds like I've just had bad timing or been as blind as a bat when I've been looking for it!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
swinggal said:
I used to make Twisties ones too. They are extra crunchy! My mum would have a fit if she knew that...haha!

I'm off soon to Canada to visit my sister & I asked her if she wanted me to bring her anything - she said "the biggest jar of vegemite you can find and as many packets of twisties you can fit into your suitcase."

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
For me it is vegemite, and what's more it has to be fresh. The vegemite that has been sitting on the shelf at the Australian shop for 2 years doesn't taste nearly so good as the vegemite that friends bring over for me!

But you don't need to suffer either of these possibilities! Vegemite is readily available at larger Tescos, Sainsburys, etc. in the UK!

Oh, yeah, I'm a Vegemite girl. Can't stand Kiwi Marmite - all nasty and sugary. *yucky*

Puzzicato

One Too Many
swinggal said:
I used to make Twisties ones too. They are extra crunchy! My mum would have a fit if she knew that...haha!

Mmmm - with cheese twisties!

When I was growing up the sheep they used in the twisties ads lived in a paddock down the road. We knew when a new ad was coming out because she'd be freshly dyed.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:
I'd say so - I was always able to get Horlicks, Branston and mustard powder in Woollies and Coles in Oz!

Must be our local then. They have Colman's premixed but not the powder, and checked for Horlicks today, no luck.

Might have to go further afield when I'm after those in the future.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
But you don't need to suffer either of these possibilities! Vegemite is readily available at larger Tescos, Sainsburys, etc. in the UK!

Oh, yeah, I'm a Vegemite girl. Can't stand Kiwi Marmite - all nasty and sugary. *yucky*

Yeah - but somehow it tastes even better when it's a gift! lol

The thing I miss the most is the cracked pepper vitaweet. They really are the best cracker in the world.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I'm reading "Sin City" by Tim Girling Butcher, and came across this, Visited this Deco Enclave in Potts Point earlier this year"

4486175012_3ed3719c87_b.jpg

4774197614_8ff82cca86_b.jpg

Which is now the "Apres" Restaurant, have any Antipods been there, the set 3 course with sparkling wine for $60.00 sounds good value!?

http://www.apres.net.au/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe