Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

mister7

Familiar Face
Actually, that pair of Adidas is probably as supportive and offer as much protection as your pair of Danners. What they will not do however, is last as long. Given the choice, I would much rather wear out equipment than my body. It already has enough wear and tear! I have had 13 knee surgeries and every extra ounce on my feet makes my knees hurt more, so I don't wear boots until absolutely necessary. Like when I'm doing this kind of stuff.

neartelluride.jpg

These boots are made of plastic, very rigid and very warm. They suck to walk in, so mostly I don't. I walk in tennis shoes as long as possible then go to boots and crampons (the pointy things that stick in the ice) as a last resort. I have done quite a bit of advanced climbing in tennis shoes.

AS to why? I am just about to turn 50 and feel compelled to perform activities that prove I am still at least a little bit alive. Hey, if this stuff was easy every spud in the world would be doing it. I'm still looking to rise above, as it were!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Cleaning an elderly rucksack

I've been using a 1950s Swiss army rucksack over the past few years and in that time it's picked up a few marks and is a lot dirtier than when I acquired it.

Would sponging it with warm soapy water be sufficient to clean it? I'm using neatsfoot oil on the leather.

Apologies if 'cleaning canvas' threads or posts already exist.

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
trying to make a copy of the leather covered whiskey bottle used in the movie Hidalgo can anyone help with a good movie still of the bottle? Thanks I always thought this would make a great piece of adventure gear.

Creeping Past said:
I've been using a 1950s Swiss army rucksack over the past few years and in that time it's picked up a few marks and is a lot dirtier than when I acquired it. Would sponging it with warm soapy water be sufficient to clean it? I'm using neatsfoot oil on the leather. Apologies if 'cleaning canvas' threads or posts already exist.
I have washed some old canvas rucks in the washer using cold or warm water and regular laundry detergent. Drip dry. THen apply oil to leather.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I would avoid exposing the leather portions to water and detergent, let alone using a washing machine and 30 degrees.
My experience with old rucksacks(old rucksacks)has shown me that the oils in the leather are removed- old leather will crack.

Sponging would be safe but I think that most of the time you're doing it,
you will just be moving the dirt around. Moving dirty water stains around.

Try the Hoover and a stiff brush. Stains be damned!
Maybe sponging would work after removing most of the dirt dry.

I have many old rucksacks, but none older than the early '30s.
I would not wash my 1941 Gebirgsjæger rucksackCareful with the leather.

B
T

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
We cleaned our rucks with soap and water (specifically the leather) - the same way my husbands family has always scrubbed their tack. After air drying we treated the leather with Pecard's and it is as pretty and supple as you could wish.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes, you're probably right- those Swiss rucksacks are probably OK-
probably never seen the light of day, before you bought them, in good condition.
But "old" leather- be careful. And washing machine and leather is not a good combination. I still believe that using soap/detergent and water on leather, in a way that it will penetrate the leather, such as soaking/washing, rather than wiping/sponging, will shorten the life of the leather. Hot water- never!

B
T

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I totally agree with you on the hot water - I didn't really think to specify as I don't even wash my everyday clothing in hot water!! Also, the soap will likely breakdown any water resistance in the canvas pretty quickly so you would need to retreat the canvas in whatever way you saw fit as well (speaking from canvas tent experience.)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Thanks for those thoughts, BT and Mrs M.

I was trying to find a way of cleaning the fabric without touching the leather, which is quite solid and would, I think, be destroyed by water penetration at this stage in its life — and since the base of the ruck is leather, that'd be a bad thing — I'm trying to ease it with neatsfoot to give a few more usable years before having to replace straps, etc.

I think I'm going for the preservationist approach and will get to work with a stiff brush and hoover. That'll get the worst of the storage dust out. Stubborn stains be damned!

To work...!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
This is my bad experience-
I have a rucksack, which was absolutely filthy when I received it and it absolutely stunk of smokes- I HAD to clean it. I washed it in a bucket with tepid, soapy water.
The whole thing seemed relatively sound but the leather did not really survive this gentle treatment- cracked leather= no good.
Any amount of leather products cannot bring back cracked leather.
On reflection, I could have administered a good, hard brushing, hoovered the sack, febrezed it and hung it outside for 6 months but when somethiung has that amount of ingrained junk and funk, it causes one to clean.

Leave well enough alone, if you value the item.

B
T

mister7

Familiar Face
If your gear is perfectly clean the one thing it really shows is that you haven't actually had any adventures!

That said, I dont think washing a pack with leather trim is a death sentence for the leather, it just requires you to treat it before you wash it. I would recomend saturating it with a boot wax like snowseal or beeseal. Use a hairdryer after you apply it to help it soak in, alternatively set in in a sunny window where it will get good and warm. Repeat this a couple of times to ensure you have really saturated it.

Wash it by hand, don't put it in a machine as this is too hard on the stitching, also it could lead to the canvas itself unravelling in the seams. Line dry it and then give the leather another dose of wax. It will be fine.

After all, what are you going to do if it rains during one of your adventures? Put your pack in a plastic bag? How about your leather shoes? Leather, well treated, can withstand repeated soakings. I know from experience!

One caveat, treating it will definitely darken it, and will ruin the knap of any suede.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
You fellows have inspired me to try to clean and repair my salt-and-pepper rucksack. I ran it over with the car years ago and haven't had the heart to do anything with it.

On another topic - what do you fellows use to carry water with you? I've been thinking about digging out a British P37 Canteen with a shoulder strap. Or, in the alternative, seeing if I can find one of those round, blanket-covered canteens that used to be commercially available with the camping gear. I just can't stand the way plastic tastes, and now my wife is on an anti-plastic kick with the whole PBA thing, so I think it's time to be rid of the Nalgene bottle.

-Dave

shortbow

Practically Family
Cool jacket! As to carrying water, I use a WW2 Canadian Army canteen that came as part of a ruck kit. Wool covered, enameled steel, cork stopper. I too hate plastic anything, especially as a vessel for drinking out of. This, as in so many things, shows how the old time, tried and true is best

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
trying to make a copy of the leather covered whiskey bottle used in the movie Hidalgo can anyone help with a good movie still of the bottle? Thanks I always thought this would make a great piece of adventure gear.

Can anyone help with a pic of this?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
beretta store

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/26/fashion/26CRITIC.html

Fetishists and Italians alike nurture a cultural tendency to idolize objects by making them ever more baroque. The Beretta store is an ornate, sentimental shrine devoted to the hunting-lodge aesthetic and the sport of shooting things.

A hallowed display case contains Ernest Hemingway’s actual S03, the weapon he used for duck hunting in Venice and around Finca Vigía, his retreat in Cuba.

critical.190.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
summer clearance

Okay guys and gals, I have finally made it around to cleaning out the closet and have lots of field/safari gear for anyone who might be interested - shirts, boots, jackets, etc.

I'm posting the items in the Fedora Lounge classifieds if you have an interest.

Cheers, :cheers1:
Mike K.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld