Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Bush Shirt History, Vol.I

I have more than a passing interest in vintage/military/colonial, khaki tropical/safari wear.
Here is something that may be interesting for the other Khaki-Fans...

WW1_Bush_Shirt.jpg

Great War British soldiers in East Africa, wearing the early Khaki "Bush shirt"-
a simple, pullover type shirt/jacket, with chest pockets.

Actually, the 2 men at left are wearing the Bush shirt, the 2 at right, wear the Askari Smock,
usually worn by native troops in Colonial service- a similar but collarless garment.
The Officer in the centre wears the flannel shirt.
The men who are not in Tropical Helmets, are wearing the Kepi, which was fairly specific
to the time and place and short lived.

There were other "Khaki Drill" shirt/jackets before this but this is the first (as far as I am aware)garment
actually known as a "Bush Shirt".

Bush shirts the same or at least similar to this, were apparently, still popular on Safari in the '20s and '30s-
examples of which, can be seen in the image galleries at the Martin and Osa Johnson website.

All are welcome to continue this, if able.

Cobden, you may be able to add, or correct me.

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
How many of you regularly carry a field journal or maps/atlases on your adventures? Those who do, please share not only your suggested accouterments but what you do with them.

I carry Ordnance Survey Explorer maps for the areas I'm walking in. They're 1:25 000 Scale (4cm to 1km or 2 1/2 inches to 1 mile) and provide sufficient detail. I generally mark the route I've taken on the map.

To call my walks 'adventures', though, is pushing it, as I'm rarely more than a couple of hours from a bus stop or rail station But this is the British Isles. You take it how you find it.

I always carry a small notebook, plus a sketchbook that'll take watercolour or gouache paint. Although I always take photographs (digital, 120 or pinhole), for me even the most rudimentary painting can serve as a mnemonic for a route taken.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
I have more than a passing interest in vintage/military/colonial, khaki tropical/safari wear.
Here is something that may be interesting for the other Khaki-Fans...

WW1_Bush_Shirt.jpg

Great War British soldiers in East Africa, wearing the early Khaki "Bush shirt"-

Actually, the 2 men at left are wearing the Bush shirt, the 2 at right, wear the Askari Smock,
usually worn by native troops in Colonial service- a similar but collarless garment.
The Officer in the centre wears the flannel shirt.
The men who are not in Tropical Helmets, are wearing the Kepi, which was fairly specific
to the time and place and short lived.

There were other "Khaki Drill" shirt/jackets before this but this is the first (as far as I am aware)garment
actually known as a "Bush Shirt".

Bush shirts the same or at least similar to this, were apparently, still popular on Safari in the '20s and '30s-
examples of which, can be seen in the image galleries at the Martin and Osa Johnson website.

All are welcome to continue this, if able.

Cobden, you may be able to add, or correct me.

B
T
Great picture, BT. I'm going to snag that and add it to my khaki library with your comments. Is anyone making repros of the bush shirt? Was it always worn out, or was it intended to be worn in under other circumstances?

I noticed, too, that they are wearing puttees with shorts. Are they wearing those over tall socks or hosetops, or are they wearing them wrapped straight on their legs? Puttees over socks seem excessive in that climate.

Lastly, what are the small pouches on the suspender straps? They look like compass cases, but why three? Were those stitched directly to the suspenders or were they added on an as needed basis? I assume this is WWI or just before, judging by what looks like a P-08 haversack on the fellow to the right and the Wolseley helmet on the fellow in the center.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
carebear said:
My choice for recon missions was the green "rite in the rain" books.

I used the hard bound "little green notebooks" for other day to day barracks use and on the range.

Notebooks are skookum gear.

Hey Carebear, I remember those "little green notebooks" from my Navy days. I have managed to hang on to one. Do you have any idea where I can purchase these books, or replicas? I've scoured the net for surplus stores, etc. with no luck I'm not sure if the actual term is a logbook or what, but I remember they were sort of a commodity on the boat as well.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Ah I see.. I think I'm mistaken. I thought Carebear was referring to the military issue green notebooks. They were used primarily as log books. I'm not sure if he meant those, or the little green Rite in the Rain books (they're both cool!)

Story

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:

King's African Rifles troopers (seen in background of BT's pic)
1_4KARWWI.jpg

Interesting. It looks as if both troopers and the Officers/NCOs are wearing the 1903 pattern 15 round individual pouches, 10 round pouches and some might the five-pocket cartridge belt/bandolier as a belt - rather than over one shoulder.
http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/products_id/90

Other 1903 gear. Anyone have experience with Lawrence?
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/khaki-and-green/equipment-be03.html

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr_Misanthropy said:
Hey Carebear, I remember those "little green notebooks" from my Navy days. I have managed to hang on to one. Do you have any idea where I can purchase these books, or replicas? I've scoured the net for surplus stores, etc. with no luck I'm not sure if the actual term is a logbook or what, but I remember they were sort of a commodity on the boat as well.

Yep, the 5x8 ones with fabric over cardboard. Just looked at one of mine, there's no brand name on it.

Mojave Jack works on 29 Palms (Yuma?), he can buy them from the Exchange. Maybe hit him up?

You might also see if they are available from the Exchange's online.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Yeah, Carebear, that's what I was talking about. I know in my day they were only available through the supply system, but I'm sure I can get a hold of some.

Mojave Jack? Do you recall seeing these at your Exchange or elsewhere? I'd gladly compensate you for the price, shipping, + if so. Just let me know! PM if you'd prefer.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Story said:
King's African Rifles troopers (seen in background of BT's pic)
1_4KARWWI.jpg

Interesting. It looks as if both troopers and the Officers/NCOs are wearing the 1903 pattern 15 round individual pouches, 10 round pouches and some might the five-pocket cartridge belt/bandolier as a belt - rather than over one shoulder.
http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/products_id/90

Other 1903 gear. Anyone have experience with Lawrence?
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/khaki-and-green/equipment-be03.html
Story, can you id the pouches worn on the straps, as well?

Incidentally, I've always found the chaps at Lawrance Ordnance to be first rate, and their gear to be top notch. They ship quickly, and are very reasonable for international shipping charges. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them.

Mr Misanthropy, PM has been sent. I have several of those books on my shelf at home, but I've pretty much switched to either the Forestry Supply field books or the Rite-In-The-Rain types. I'd be happy to send them on to you.

BTW, your first inclination was right, Matthew, I'm at Stumps.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Not I but...

Also of Everest note:

The World Record for most descents by a non-Sherpa was broken recently. A 46-year old resident of Taos, NM (David Hahn) has, as of Tuesday, summitted the world's tallest peak (a "fact" which I still somewhat doubt) 10 times.

The Sherpa record is 18.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sneaky777