Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Knickers are actually pretty cool as outdoorsy type clothing. You still see them as golf clothes and the German ones are probably considered as Alpine Summer clothing. Makes me want to listen to Tyrolean yodeling.:p

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Knickers are actually pretty cool as outdoorsy type clothing. You still see them as golf clothes and the German ones are probably considered as Alpine Summer clothing. Makes me want to listen to Tyrolean yodeling.:p

Oh.... I'll probably try one... hiking up here in Washington... maybe near Leavenworth (which is like a little Bavarian village)! Would some low hiking boots and knee length socks be in order?

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I have both the wool and the moleskin knickers from Sportsman's Guide. In fact, both my husband and I do!! We intend to hike in them here in the Colorado mountains this summer. The preliminary hikes (waiting for the snow to melt and the mud to subside) seem to indicate that they will be very functional. Just a word of caution - the sizing is really variable. My smalls are tiny (well okay I am a bigger girl - but they fit super close) and then medium jumps hugely. I will see about posting pictures of our knickers - both mine and his soon.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Safari Chair...

Proper one.

270408safari1.jpg

The Kaare Klint Safari Chair, to be precise.
Classic Danish from the mid-30s.

Sadly, it went for only €20 and I couldn't.

B
T

LordJohnRoxton said:
And apparently priced rather reasonably.... I might have to pick up a pair and try them out. Of course I shall need some new boots as well.... and ridiculously tall socks... ooh... and one of those little hats!
Don't forget the little brush in the hat.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
TM said:
You know, this is the second most viewed thread in this forum. And it covers a lot of territory: boots, clothes, packs, etc. What about making Adventure into its own forum and breaking this up into threads about boots, clothing, packs, etc. ? And the gun threads could be placed here too.

Tony

I second that. Adventure would make an awesome board... Plus, since a lot of this stuff is archive-ish, it'd be easier to search for what you want.

But that's just my two cents.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
19th of March???
What about April and May???????
Have we lost it?

If we have, I'd have no problem re-reading the content if people wanted to repost. I like this thread a lot! What's the etiquette?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Thirty pages of threads is a lot of information lost! With the exception of a review/modification of boots that I posted, I honestly cannot recall everything that I posted over these past months. It's like ripping the pages out of an encyclopedia and throwing them away.

Those who say this thread would be better off as it's own separate room are growing more numerous. A few of us have already contacted the powers that be and we're waiting...waiting...still waiting...for something. This thread has grown way beyond a discussion of adventure gear - it's clothing, footwear, tents and other gear, firearms, compasses and knives and other accessories, books, history, etc. etc. etc. Come on, is all this really just "general attire" or "accouterments"??

It is time to become a new room in the Fedora Lounge. It's time to launch:

The Safari Tent
The Golden Age of Adventurous Exploration and Its Inspiration Today
  • Classic outdoor clothing - from safari jackets to pith helmets
  • Footwear - snowshoes, mukluks, cavalry boots, and more
  • General necessities - pocket knives, compasses, maps, etc.
  • Firearms - rifles, pistols, and ammunition
  • Literature - past and present tales of adventure
  • Travel Destinations

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe