Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Here is an accurate replication of Mallory's Everest gear-

mallorylayersbig.jpg

B
T

I was lucky enough to be able examine some of these items at Lancaster. The Burberry jacket to the left is remarkably similar to a jacket that Belstaff used to make until the middle 1970s!

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
BTW Alan- there's a Belstaff Dalesman on eBay, starting price, £99!

When Paddy, Salv and I were in London, we saw one at Hornets, Kensington for half of that. I'm not a fan of the yellow-lined hood.

B
T

BT,

The seller has been trying to flog this one for ages. At that price I'm not surprised!

The Dalesman has some interest for fans of the 1960s Ramblers Association, 'Carry on Camping' or Boy Scout look, but it was never my favourite as a practical garement. I was bought one for my birthday and couldn't wait to grow out of it!

They aren't woven fine enough to be waterproofed completely (you were supposed to use a tent waterproofing agent) and are lined throughout. A bad combination, as when they get wet they don't dry quickly enough. The idea of the yellow lining was, of course, so it could be reversed for high visibility in emergencies.

Somehow, I can't see Kate Moss wearing one...

Alan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
Trousers are vintage

Matt: Ah, I see! Well, it makes for a sharp look either for college or adventure especially with the ATF combat boots.;)

Well I have the beginnings of an alpine adventure look starting. I just purchased these panzer trousers off of OFAS.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-TAILOR-WWII-GERMAN-PANZER-WOOL-TROUSERS-Replica_W0QQitemZ150128822876QQihZ005QQcategoryZ104001QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hopefully if all goes well I may be able to get a copy of BT's leather Kletterweste(climbing jacket) made. It should make for a neat look up in Yosemite. Now if I can find a copy of the alpine boots it would make a fine package.

Cheers!

Dan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Boots...

$45 inc. shipping is something to be happy about for those pants.
That guy makes some nice stuff- lower volume and higher quality than the other HK/China based vendors.

Try the link below for boots- maybe something you like.
I like the Italian boots, the WW1 German, the WW1 French and US boots too-
But the Italian and WW1 German are the most mountainous, in my opinion.

http://www.civilwarboots.com/enter.html?target=dept_1.html&lang=en-us

Reasonable prices but some of the styles look slightly off.

B
T

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Only the Italians Could Design These Boots

Only the Italians could have the design flair to have Spectator military boots!

Thanks BT - that is a great site...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The "white" upper is actually supposed to be a natural, brown shade and the heel counter and toe cap should be dark brown(if there is to be any colour contrast).
Maybe it's the photography, or maybe it's just terribly wrong.
I like the construction design, not the spectator-ness.

More like this-

Italian_Boots.jpg

B
T

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
The "white" upper is actually supposed to be a natural, brown shade and the heel counter and toe cap should be dark brown(if there is to be any colour contrast).
Maybe it's the photography, or maybe it's just terribly wrong.
I like the construction design, not the spectator-ness.

More like this-

Italian_Boots.jpg

B
T

Those are great looking boots! It's got me wondering where I can get a pair. I've never seen any for sale with hobnails and cleats before. Perhaps there is a place to get the cleats then add them yourself...hmmm. [huh]

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
Hobnails and Cleats go against Nature Conservation-
They cause wear and erosion.

Seriously-

B
T

lol

Seriously serious?

I thought it would have more to do with having to pay someone to hammer them all in versus paying someone to glue on a molded sole.

I liked those paddock boots way way back near the beginning of the thread too.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
Hobnails and Cleats go against Nature Conservation-
They cause wear and erosion.

Seriously-

B
T

Thanks for pointed this out BT, it should have occured to me, yet sometimes I'm a little slow :) ... That said, are there any 1920's or 30's style boots on the market with rubber soles suitable for hillwalking?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Contemporary Hiking boots are all hi-tech, newfangled ugly.
Repros from WW2 Reenactor Vendors have none of the cleats(hobnails, yes).

A lugged sole could be retro-fitted to a vintage or repro boot.
This problem is something I have not quite come to grips with.

B
T

Cobden

Practically Family
Mike1939 said:
Thanks for pointed this out BT, it should have occured to me, yet sometimes I'm a little slow :) ... That said, are there any 1920's or 30's style boots on the market with rubber soles suitable for hillwalking?

British DMS boots have a rubber sole, and are very close - pattern wise - as WWII style British Ammo Boots:

bootdms.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
You could get the German low boot without the hobnails.

http://www.grigsbymilitaria.com/german_footwear.htm

The Italian Boots can be had here.
http://www.italianfront.com/reproitalianboots.htm

There is a German Mountain Boot at this site. I think it is modern official issue. In any case they're more environmentally friendly.
http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/German_Army/German_Mountain_Boots/510/203.html?affid=45860

Or you could get the U.S. combat boots with rubber soles from At The Front. The pair I have are quite comfortable.
us_boot_serv_shoe_main.jpg

us_boots_roughout_main.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
DMS Boots

The DMS boots look good and although a little harder to come by in the States, not impossible. The only other alternative I've found so far would be classic Dr. Marten boots with a lugged sole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust