Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
What's the best way to find the right artist for what you want to have done? It has to be more than just asking around... do tattoo artists specialize in certain styles?

Yes. If you want a new style tattoo you're aren't going to want to go to a traditional style artist. Sure there are some who do all styles well. My artist is a master of the traditional. However, the sleeve I want is not traditional at all. I asked a girl on myspace who I didn't know personally but I knew she knew a lot about artists in my area. You can try that approach if you know someone who knows about artists. Once you obtain knowledge about artists in your area you'll want to check out their work and see if it matches the style you want.

zaika

One Too Many
scotrace said:
What's the best way to find the right artist for what you want to have done? It has to be more than just asking around... do tattoo artists specialize in certain styles?

word of mouth is how i found the artist i chose for the current tat in the works. i went online and looked at her portfolio, liked what i saw and then went to meet her and tell her my idea. right off the bat she was receptive and really excited to work on it and i felt comfortable in the studio...so that was good. the final design was perfect, but she was absolutely receptive to reworking it.

so...if you have friends who have tattoos you like, as who did it! check out artist's portfolios. see if the artist is willing to work with you. it could take a few months...but at least you'll get what you want. :)

S

Samsa

Contemplating the following text on my upper back:

Cast a cold Eye
On Life, on Death.
Horseman, pass by!​

Which, of course, is what is inscribed on Yeats' grave under Ben Bulben....

YeatsGrave.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Samsa said:
Contemplating the following text on my upper back:

Cast a cold Eye
On Life, on Death.
Horseman, pass by!​

Which, of course, is what is inscribed on Yeats' grave under Ben Bulben....

YeatsGrave.jpg

My gosh that's a really great idea. I hope you do it.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:
I find them quite a turn-off.

I assume you're not a paid up member of SG, then. lol

scotrace said:

As Zaika said, recommendation from other people is really the best way to find the good artists. That also allows you to find the artist whose style you think suits your needs. You're not in any hurry. Best thing to do seems to be to keep your eyes open for other people's tattoos, and when you see one you like, ask them who did it. I haven't met a person yet who responded negatively to being asked; most people like their tattoos to be noticed - if they didn't they'd probably have them somewhere more concealed.

Samsa said:
Cast a cold Eye
On Life, on Death.
Horseman, pass by!​

As a fan of text tattoos, I say that's a good one. Would you want the same font and spacing?

S

Samsa

fatwoul said:
As a fan of text tattoos, I say that's a good one. Would you want the same font and spacing?

I do like the font, but would probably experiment on my own to get a good idea of how it would look were it rendered in a different one.

Spacing is a good question, and one that I noticed as soon as I typed out the text in my earlier post - as it is on the gravestone the words ending each line are lined up, which is not how it appears with normal spacing. Regardless, I'll have quite a bit of time to think it over before I would realistically be able to afford getting it done. Which is another question entirely...I have no idea what getting that tattoo done would cost.

RIOT

Practically Family
As those Nike ad campaign says.. "Just Do It!"

*now back to staying away from this thread*

fatwoul

Practically Family
Samsa said:
...I have no idea what getting that tattoo done would cost.

I think mine cost about $80, two years ago. But that depends who does it, where, how big the tattoo is, how many colours it uses, and a bunch of other stuff.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Anybody who is still thinking tattoos are too painful, I suggest you have a browse for the following. There's not way on earth I'm going to link to it, because most of the pictures don't have any place on FL, but if you want to see it, do the following:

Go to Google, and type in the following two words:

"Skin"
"Carving"

If you find a picture of a girl with a bamboo pattern on her back, you've found something truly painful, dangerous and permanent.

It makes tattoos look like about as big a deal as writing a shopping list on your hand with a biro.

zaika

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I dunno. That would probably be me as well. Then again, the only time I would think about getting a tattoo would be if I were feeling no pain anyway so......:p ;)

I get nervous around needles (one time i nearly passed out getting immunized), so tattoos are a huge deal for me...you know...facing my fears and all that. So...if I, the biggest pansy in the world, can do it without making a scene...I'm sure you could too. That is...if you were ever interested in tattoos. Which it kinda sounds like you're not...so what's the point? lol lol ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe