Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

Feraud

Bartender
nattily_attired said:
I do not understand why someone would put a picture on their body that they would not have hanging on a wall in their home. Natty

The difference is similar to wearing a beautiful tie and hanging one on your wall. Two very different animals.
A tattoo is a body decoration and a framed picture is a wall decoration.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
nattily_attired said:
I do not understand why someone would put a picture on their body that they would not have hanging on a wall in their home. Natty

Also, how do you know they wouldn't put it on their wall? I know tons of people who have tattoo art, or art drawn by their tattooist on their walls.

nattily_attired

New in Town
tattoos

Feraud said:
The difference is similar to wearing a beautiful tie and hanging one on your wall. Two very different animals.
A tattoo is a body decoration and a framed picture is a wall decoration.
Your right, they are two very different animals. Ties and framed pictures are quite easly removed. Try it with a tattoo! Naty

nattily_attired

New in Town
Tattoos

Fleur De Guerre said:
Also, how do you know they wouldn't put it on their wall? I know tons of people who have tattoo art, or art drawn by their tattooist on their walls.

Yes every major gallery in town is fighting for the rights to sell the wears of Miami Ink artists. Natty

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
nattily_attired said:
Yes every major gallery in town is fighting for the rights to sell the wears of Miami Ink artists. Natty

What an odd thing to say. Should I get in touch with the people I know to tell them that what they have on their walls isn't art? Or should I inform artists (tattoo and regular) I know that sell their work (including my boyfriend) that since their work isn't featured in a major gallery, that they're not actually really artists, and their work shouldn't be allowed on walls?

:rolleyes:

zaika

One Too Many
nattily_attired said:

actually, if you've ever watched the show, you would know that at least one of the tattoo artists is a sought after canvas artist as well. :)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Although the PhD thing might give me pause. Some of those guys stick so close to the Fountain of Knowledge they get waterlogged.

Certainly true as I see daily, but I just said A GENTLEMAN IN EVERY WAY, implying he could fix a car, would send you chocolates on your birthday since you are his mother in law, would not come off self-absorbed, and as a proper gentleman could beat the crap out of someone insulting your daughter, but wouldn't unless necessary; and I also said IN A RESPECTABLE SUBJECT. I.e. one that you respect. Not something lame. Something respectable. American history in your case, perhaps.

Definitely not Women's Studies in my case --

lol :rage: :p

Woland

One of the Regulars
nattily_attired said:

That is a silly thing to say.
Some of the great ones does much sought after canvas-art.

Some years back The London Tattoo-convention took an initiative.
They put up 5-6 empty canvases and oil paints.
The invited tattoo-artists then took turns with the paints, creating a collaborative work of art.
At the end of the convention the pictures was auctioned away for charity.
Drew a tidy sum, it did...

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
Jovan said:
The first one was pretty cute, really, but what matters is how you like it of course. The second is pretty nice.

I've occasionally given thought to getting a band around the bicep... but I don't nearly have muscles enough to pull it off, plus it reminds me too much of a certain jerk I no longer associate with.

It was a cute IDEA, but I really hated the way the artist did it. I'm considering getting another clover somewhere, just done differently. I think another reason I hated it was where it was on my back, it was really akward...the picture doesn't really show that.

It took me over a year to get this done, I had it hanging on my kitchen cabinet the entire time. Sadly it doesn't have any meaning behind it, all my tattoos I have planned all have some sort of story or importance to me. I guess this one is to remind me how foolish I was when I was younger lol

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
Quigley Brown said:
I find them quite a turn-off.

One of my biggest turn offs is BAD tattoos, or just people who go in a shop and look at the books to pick something out.

If you're going to get a tattoo be a little more orginal, not to say I haven't seen a design or drawing and wanted it as a tattoo...Just personalize it or something.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ValerieAmelia said:
One of my biggest turn offs is BAD tattoos, or just people who go in a shop and look at the books to pick something out..

There is that one spiky braceletty thing from the Re/Search book Modern Primitives that EVERYONE AND THEIR MOM HAS wrapped about upper arm or ankle. My goodness am I sick of seeing it. It's a "tribal" tattoo.

As for poorly done tattoos... well, technically speaking, it is rather "vintage" or golden era to have a cruddy anchor on your forearm, isn't it?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Tattoos

Years ago a young man came to our house for business reasons. He would be what be what you would call a "biker type". His hair was long, quite an amount of facial hair, boots and jeans and a tank top. Both of his arms were colorfully tattooed from hand to shoulder. My youngest daughter, four years old, walked into the room and saw him and stopped in her tracks. She was always a very shy child so when she spoke we where all taken aback. She looked him square in the eye and asked "did somebody color on you". He roared with laughter and only then did everyone else in the room.

sweetfrancaise said:
I've been thinking of getting one...something to represent my writing, or love of travel or summat. I'm just worried about what it'll look like in thirty years!

If my father's tattoos that he had done in about 1948 are any indication---it ain't pretty. I imagine they might be better at it today but time is still time. He kept them covered as long as I remember so they got no sun at all really. In fact, they were the least suntanned areas of his body. They still looked horrible---ie faded blurred and "what the heck was that." :eusa_doh: [huh] I wish I had pictures but I don't and can't get them now. [huh]

Regards to all,

J

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Nope, just truthful. Just imagine those needles looking ten times bigger and blunt like a nail as they approach your arm---tearing through skin like a scene from Saw. ;) :p :eek:

Obviously you are getting your tattoo needle mental :p pictures from that 1960's horror movie "Attack of the Outragously Enlarged Everything'......

Foofoogal

Banned
"did somebody color on you".
Exactly how I feel and cannot seem to get past.
For the record I have met some of the most evil men in 3 piece suits without tattoos and the nicest and sweetest with tattoos. People should just know what they are getting into and also for the record I don't judge people out of church as I believe the Bible says not to. Now people in the church are a whole different ballgame.
My niece got her husbands first and last name tattooed on her back in big block letters (no kidding.) He left her for another woman 3 wks. later. Now she has it covered up with something but what a bunch of pain. :eusa_doh:
Everyone judges everyone all the time on clothing especially. It would be interesting to have a poll here to see where everyone would draw the line.
1. Tiny tattoo?
2. 3 tiny tattoos?
3. Arm sleeves?
4. Full body tattoos on men?
5. Full body on women?
I promise most all would have a cutoff point as to who they would want to marry or be their next door neighbor. :p
People are so silly in so many ways.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
What's the best way to find the right artist for what you want to have done? It has to be more than just asking around... do tattoo artists specialize in certain styles?

Oh, just to tell a story from my past, the reason the Horsemen parted ways (and that I had to pink-slip my personal staff) was that they were seriously threatening to slip me a Mickey Finn and have the dorsal markings of my namesake tattooed down my spine.

Except for my pain-tolerance and my aforementioned potentially-lethal (to the needle-holder) violent allergic reaction to needles, now it actually sounds like a really good way to give people a heads-up about exactly what they're dealing with with me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe