Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tattoos.

scotrace said:
lol lol

You've been walking around in my head! I can see that happening. I don't have a low pain tolerance, and gosh, if Neecerie can survive it, I can. lol

Still... Needles! *shudder*

Just picture this needle ten times the size and you will be fine:
Needles_main.JPG
:p :p :p

zaika

One Too Many
Samsa said:
Over the last few months I've been seriously thinking about getting a tattoo, but remain uncertain as to what I would get.

I'd be curious to hear from members here who have gotten tattoos over the years - how long did it take you to decide on getting a tattoo, and how did you settle on what you wanted?

I got my first tattoo when I was 19 and out of my mind. ;) I saw my design, and got it done about six months later. I still don't regret it, though. The design meant a lot to me then, and even though it holds a different meaning now...it's still special.
It took me eight years to get my second one, but I thought about it and thought about it. Every year I went back to think about it until I finally decided.
The third one took me two years to decide on, and I came up with the general design. I knew it was what I wanted when it made my eyes well up a little. And when my tattoo artist drew up the final design, it was just perfect.
The next one will probably be a pin up girl or a portrait of my grandma or something. This one will be the one thing on my body that is beautiful!! lol

scotrace said:
That was the question I was hesitant to ask. Pain level involved?

For me it's like an irritating cat scratch. Only for the current tat in the works...three hours long at a time. *shudder* It doesn't hurt as much as it irritates me. If you do get one and it begins to hurt a little...remember to breathe!! My second tat is on the inside of my arm (same place where fatwoul got his in the pic he posted), and I was so sensitive there that I forgot to breathe and nearly passed out. Not good. lol

Woland

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
That was the question I was hesitant to ask. Pain level involved?

Depends on which part of the body.
Can be really painful...

If you tend to be squeamish you might want to avoid the areas of your body which are RICH in nerves; underarms up towards the armpit (painful), elbows (nasty feeling of needle meets bone) and the general areas you feel a natural need to protect.

However; the ability to control pain is the name of the game.
If you cant take it, do not do it.

It is only a tattoo...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Woland said:
However; the ability to control pain is the name of the game.
If you cant take it, do not do it.

Problem with saying this....is that you don't know what the particular pain is -like- until they make the first line...at which point..backing out is not all that possible unless you like a ______ randomly placed.

zaika

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Is there a healing time? After care?

my artist has me wash the tattoo gently twice a day, apply AD ointment, for about a week. then after that, keep it moisterized for another week.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I had to learn the AD trick from a friend of mine. The tat artist told me non-scented lotion. My friend was like, WHAT....no.....this is what you do..lol. Yolu don't have to listen to me, but I have $4000 worth of work on my arms. heck, I'd listen to him just cuz he's so darn cute. :p oh....the AD ointment felt like heaven, thank goodness it was only 2 days after getting the last tat!!!

PS healing time ranges from size of tats.

zaika said:
my artist has me wash the tattoo gently twice a day, apply AD ointment, for about a week. then after that, keep it moisterized for another week.

zaika said:
you're just having too much fun, aren't you? lol

I didn't even mention about the kind you need to drink to lessen the pain of the topical alcohol---but I suppose you could use cheap vodka on it. :p ;)
Yes, I am having fun. I just figured I would give Scott the benefit of having my father around to tell him these things like he did me. Remember he had them done in the 40s---they actually did use alcohol and the needles were like phonograph needles with motors on them. :eek:
With his luck, he might find a vintage tattoo artist. lol lol lol lol
Remember alcohol on the inside and outside. Works every time. :D

Woland

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Is there a healing time? After care?

Indeed.
The next couple of months you should care for your tat.
That means avoiding scabs by cleaning the tat in lightly soaped lukewarm water and rubbing your damaged skin with a recommended moisturizer at least 4-5 times daily.
Protecting the tat from direct sunshine, no salt water bathing, etc.

Your local tattoo artist (if worth anything) will update you on the needs.
Be extremly selective when it comes to allowing ANYONE to put a needle to your skin.
It is for life.
Treat it as such.

Be sober, (if you turn up drunk, a respectable tattoo-artist will tell you to return in a sober condition).

Go to it with will, if not it is rubbish...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe