Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So what is the Fedora Lounge all about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
What annoys me about this place, in addition to what Miss Bella just pointed out, is our collective need to pick scapegoats. It's been happening ever since I joined this forum. First it was Rafter, then Jovan, now CharlesB - there's always someone, and it's almost always the gents who are doing it. This is the first board I've ever been on where the women weren't the catty ones - this stuff almost never happens in the PR, which is why I'm pretty much happy to stay there.

RAFTER!!!
I loved that guy.
Nothing makes me feel better than to read abusive posts from a NYC know-it-all who also posts pix of events & casts aspersions about being snubbed at events.
Oh did I forget to mention the pix werent really his? Nor had he actually attended the events in question. Nor was even in the NYC area.
That poor guy had problems & was contributing nothing but facade. He was a PERFECT example of what the FL shouldnt be.
An internet nutjob trying to create a psuedo-identity to be a big man on this campus.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Can a restriction be put in place similar to the one that means you can't send PMs until you've done 15 posts...if you've posted say 50 times, you have a bit more idea of what the Lounge is about...plus it will encourage new people to search and add to threads instead of starting new ones.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
Can it be something like the rule that you can't send PMs until you've done 15 posts...if you've posted say 50 times, you have a bit more idea of what the Lounge is about...plus it will encourage new people to search and add to threads instead of starting new ones.

That's a really good idea. Why not bring it up with one of the bartenders? It would cut down on a lot of irrelevant threads.

-HJ said:
(BK, I'm just taking out a specific citation here for two reasons: first, why single out any one or two people?, and secondly, one of these folks is no longer here to see, inquire, or defend themselves on the basis of it. I know what you said was stated just as an example and not for any other reason. Feel free to PM me to discuss further. -HJ).

No problem.

MrBern said:
RAFTER!!!
I loved that guy.
Nothing makes me feel better than to read abusive posts from a NYC know-it-all who also posts pix of events & casts aspersions about being snubbed at events.
Oh did I forget to mention the pix werent really his? Nor had he actually attended the events in question. Nor was even in the NYC area.
That poor guy had problems & was contributing nothing but facade. He was a PERFECT example of what the FL shouldnt be.
An internet nutjob trying to create a psuedo-identity to be a big man on this campus.

That's right. Now i remember him. I only had a vague notion of someone causing problems for himself. I forgot the specifics. Suppressed memories, no doubt.

bk

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
PolkaDotMeggie said:
That is a good example of something that could be mistaken. If it were not for the smiley-wink, I would have thought you were serious. Atleast I hope you are not serious :eusa_doh:

Of course not, just an example of the extreme. :)

I miss Marc and Rob and the others too, but time marches on and things change. :eek: It's the way of the world. We can make new rules all day long but if it's going to evolve we'll have a hard time changing it. I say just go with the flow.

S

Samsa

Fleur De Guerre said:
Can a restriction be put in place similar to the one that means you can't send PMs until you've done 15 posts...if you've posted say 50 times, you have a bit more idea of what the Lounge is about...plus it will encourage new people to search and add to threads instead of starting new ones.

I think this is a good idea. I would love to see a regulation saying that you can only post one NEW thread a month. Not one post a month, but start one thread.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:

I do not think it would solve any problem - instead it would creat a lot of hijacking of threads, because newbies would just ask questions - more or less - relatede to running subjects instead.
I mean, the reason most of us started here, was because we were seeking an answere to a problem/question.
(My first post is still alive and kicking: White RN pullovers for RAF pilots.)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBern
RAFTER!!!
I loved that guy.

That's right. Now i remember him. I only had a vague notion of someone causing problems for himself. I forgot the specifics. Suppressed memories, no doubt.

bk

No doubt you are more interested in wardrobe than socializing.
My post is partly in jest, but at the time it was a big concern.
It really is unsettling when you think about the summer events we attend & realize some unbalanced individual could be stalking us to Governor's island.
What if Feraud & Rover & Shearer decide to post a time for a lunch gathering & a real crazy person decides to show up?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
No doubt you are more interested in wardrobe than socializing.
My post is partly in jest, but at the time it was a big concern.
It really is unsettling when you think about the summer events we attend & realize some unbalanced individual could be stalking us to Governor's island.
What if Feraud & Rover & Shearer decide to post a time for a lunch gathering & a real crazy person decides to show up?

THAT'S THE WHOLE IDEA!lol

Moby

Familiar Face
Well, first of all let me say as a newbie that I thoroughly enjoy the Fedora Lounge. I joined in February of this year, however I lurked here for about a year to develop a feeling for this place before joining. This is the only site I have ever joined in over 10 years on the Net because it seemed to be a different sort of a place. It's not a free for all. I like that.

After reading this thread I have a suggestion. Why not add a set of guide lines to the FAQ's for newbies (and oldies) that suggests guide lines for posting new threads and how to interact with established threads?

This thread is an excellent starting point for these guide lines. Some people may not understand the way this place is organised. Some people may not know what it means to hijack a thread and why it's wrong. As a newbie I don't want to be a problem on this site so let me know what's acceptable and what's frowned upon. Don't expect children to act properly unless you give them a little guidance. ;)

A well established set of guide lines would also give our dear Bartenders something to point to when they decide to edit a post or end a thread.

I realise I'm new here and I hope I haven't Stepped on any toes. I'm just trying to help.

surely

A-List Customer
"I realise I'm new here and I hope I haven't Stepped on any toes. I'm just trying to help." Well Moby you stepped on mine. :rage: I was just about to start a thread to do what you suggested and now I can't cause every one will think I stole the idea from you. lol

I actually followed a path similar to yours. Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe