Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

We had been discussing (daydreaming about) putting together a book which concentrated (for one thing) more on the histories of various manufacturers. Presently available books really do not delve much into that aspect. Perhaps also include more photographs of common folk with ties from the respective periods...

Like a section on Palm Beach and their mimickers. We would need one on Cohama for sure and one for Hollyvogue for sure. I would love to have enough ties and history for a section on Andre and Joffy ties too but the subject matter makes the ties very expensive. :eyebrows:
You could then got to a section on Hut ties and their knot planned ties and their mimickers.
We could then hit Your favorite maker---Haband. :p

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
If anyone was to make a book, from one viewpoint I think could be of interest is what the tie makers went through to keep up with the "competition" and why the trends of sizes, shapes, materials went the course it did?
It seems wide ties sort of went in a circle, and to be able to read about things of this nature from the time maker's point of view and not merely people like "us" that purchase ties and wheel and deal in them, would have to say...(just a thought or two).....

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Sorry for mis-dating the tie. It appeared to be from a much later period.

It looks wider than it is in this picture but many new ties are sort of art deco. I have learned a lot about ties from being "here" and I have even noticed ( I am positive you will say yep, right on, got it) that with real vintage ties you can feel the age in the tie most of the time, when you simply handle it. In some ways the same as how you can feel a really quality fedora from a junky one. I think the age of a tie shows at times, being worn, maybe washed/dry cleaned/ tied so many times takes a little bit out of the fabric, maybe some fade (not always but most of the time I think so), and then labels can tell you to some degree. I've been getting away from $150.00 Versace ties and getting into more true vintage but when I see some tie I like, I get greedy and will do what it takes to obtain it. I have been doing the same with cufflinks and tie bars/tacks. Just scored some nice detailed sword fish cufflinks and a tie bar, and some nice fly fishing links, vintage and in super condition. So my mind tells me, find a tie with nice colors, and that will go with the "theme" of the cufflinks/tie bars/tacks. Even am tracking a few ties with swordies on the front, and a few of the fly fishing scenes on them. I have my Wife that will watch and nail them for me if possible.

And the tie of the day is:
$T2eC16ZHJGIE9nnWrPM9BRQmnyNIF!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16V,!zQE9s3ssV-3BRQmltkzJw~~60_57.JPG

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Typically sold in seaside towns, often with the name of the town in contrasting coloured candy down the centre of the stick:

sticks_of_rock__86682_zoom.jpg

Very accurate about the candy, I see it maybe once in a while in some shops, not many now other than real shops that carry decent goods that are specialty items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe