Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

The Good

Call Me a Cab
c. late '60s tie from a store called Ward & Ward. Feels like rayon/acetate, and you know that it's square-bottomed...

c395bc54-5029-42af-beb3-a29add7d0530_zps8c67a49c.jpg

Very nice. I can appreciate square-bottomed ties as well, since I own two right now, both wool knits (tan and red). That tie reminds me of one I've seen on eBay, although I don't think that one was flat-bottomed. Eventually, I may post up the back labels of some of my ties in order to seek assistance in dating them, if that's fine.

James Powers, both of those ties are very nice as well. That bird's feathers look real, in fact. An interesting design.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
As JP implied, that day will never come. I've got quite a few I still haven't posted, although it has become harder to find vintage ties in the L.A. area...By the way, what happened to that thread that listed books about neckties? I think that Feraud started it, but I can't find it.

I can still find them, too...just one at a time. I've never made an ebay purchase all the years I've been collecting them. Just the thrill of the hunt has been part of the fun. I always thought that if we all got together we/Lounge could make our own unique book.

I can still find them, too...just one at a time. I've never made an ebay purchase all the years I've been collecting them. Just the thrill of the hunt has been part of the fun. I always thought that if we all got together we/Lounge could make our own unique book.

The book would likely work better than some of the other books I have seen. :p

I like getting a ton of them and going through them to see if it was worth it. Nine times out of ten it is. It is just that tenth time and loads of 70s ties......

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
No Oxyclean? :D Enquiring minds want to know. :p

No, not Oxyclean. Generic stuff works just as well.

Yes, we had spoken of doing that, which would involve much correspondence among us, and finally meeting together a couple of times. Willing to come to L.A., QB??

DamianM

Vendor

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Took this photo yesterday, a vintage silk skinny Italian hotrod with some strong art deco roots....

Seeing some inquiry about cleaning a tie, this tie had some faint stains that really bothered me when I first obtained it, they did not show on pictures. So, it was not hard to clean at all. Bucket of luke warm water, borax (not much) liquid laundry soap ( not much) and soaked for maybe an hour, gently moving the tie around in the bucket, then rinsed it like crazy and hung it to dry, shaping the tie along the course of it being dried, and end results no stain and I did not have to iron it. Ties are normally not hard to clean, just don't rub them too much and stay away from hot water stay away from bleach and wash a tie all by itself, some ties can bleed.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
We delegate the gathering of pictures on this thread to you. Call us when the book is ready. :p

Which means I get all the royalties...

Pretty nice for a modern tie; but then, again, it is Italian...

Just found this yesterday. c. late-'50s, no labels, likely acetate/rayon, nice design and color-scheme. Just about whenever I see a square-bottomed tie, I have to snag it.

fa485887-ac33-4a98-9bd9-f15007a7c000_zpsfaeb08cb.jpg
58af839e-9ad2-42c9-ac1e-50c039de9c62_zpsccd5f076.jpg

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Which means I get all the royalties...

Pretty nice for a modern tie; but then, again, it is Italian...

Just found this yesterday. c. late-'50s, no labels, likely acetate/rayon, nice design and color-scheme. Just about whenever I see a square-bottomed tie, I have to snag it.

fa485887-ac33-4a98-9bd9-f15007a7c000_zpsfaeb08cb.jpg
58af839e-9ad2-42c9-ac1e-50c039de9c62_zpsccd5f076.jpg

Thank you, I have a "fussy" demeanor when it comes to ties. I am curious about what is considered, "modern" in the tie elements standards. The maker of this tie (Pancaldi) has been doing so since 1938, and this is a 1950's model. From what I know of the maker, they do continue to make ties now, but as they have progressed over the years, evolved into what was popular of the time, are wide and have some "flair" more in the line of abstracts a wild colors similar to what most Italian tie makers present, such as Versace, and get onto the wilder side of designs such as the Rush Limbaugh ties, (which I really do not care for much personally).

I do appreciate some of the "american" ties from the 1940's, 1950's that are more thought of when it comes to vintage, but I have a hard time placing a tie that is hand painted with such nice colors only to have the composition of how nice the tie looks destroyed by someone painting a fig leaf on the front of it. Most of my older wide or skinny ties have been ones with geometric designs or have a "scene" on them that tell a story. I think that is why I appreciate some of the older western ties that show some cowboys sitting around a camp fire or riding a bucking bronco. For me, a suit or sports jacket needs the flow of nice cufflinks, tie pin or clasp and of course a tie that has an amazing "match" for everything else worn and will capture the eye.

Needless to say, I am far from an expert of any means regarding ties, I just know what I like and what looks proper with what attire I would wear any one tie with it.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I thought there were already several vintage necktie show and tell books? What would such a new book actually say?

We had been discussing (daydreaming about) putting together a book which concentrated (for one thing) more on the histories of various manufacturers. Presently available books really do not delve much into that aspect. Perhaps also include more photographs of common folk with ties from the respective periods...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe