Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
A handfull from out of the vault...

collage100.jpg
[/IMG]

Fantastic "Kramden" length assortment. They put the color in an old black and white film. Thanks for posting them.
Tom D.

Feraud

Bartender
jamespowers said:
If I remember correctly, yarn companies would give you a tag like that to use for a completed tie. Wives would make these for their husbandsand children. I actually have one in green and tan that I am sure a friend of mine made for her husband in the 1940s from a pattern given out by the yarn company to promote yarn sales. Pretty good promotion for the time really.
You buy the yarn and get a ready made project. ;)
I thought BK's tie might be a home-made one but the label threw me. I've seen a kit at auction with that exact pattern.
Interesting to know they also provided labels! :)

Feraud said:
I thought BK's tie might be a home-made one but the label threw me. I've seen a kit at auction with that exact pattern.
Interesting to know they also provided labels! :)

That's a great piece of info, in the past it seems like there were all sorts of kits to make things at home.

A bit of a score at the local YMCA charity shop on Thursday afternoon. 2 from the late 30s (the blue one is arrow brand, made in Canada with the 1934 copyrighted label). The reddish stripey is a "Man about Town" also from the late 30s. The green one to the right is middle 50s, I think, and Italian.

YMCATies.jpg

I also found my bag of vintage bow ties. I look really stupid in a bow tie, so I never wear them, but can't bring myself to sell them … Various brands, all of them came from Lafayette, IN thrift stores. The blue stripe and yellow stripe to the left of the first photo are mid 40s Palm Beach fabric, by Beau Brummell.

VintageBowTies1.jpg

VintageBowTies2.jpg

bk

Well, I'm not much of a spender on eBay ties. I'll go up to $20 on a lot of 50 or so, but there's so many of the damn things in thrift stores that I really don't pay much on eBay. This lot was different. I couldn't resist the spider and butterfly. I've seen them in other people's collections and always been envious. So when this was up as a BIN for $25, I snapped it up. All 4 are hand painted numbers.

Won't you come in-to my parlour?
Said the spider to the fly.
I've the cutest little living room,
That you did ever spy.

Poor Fly
Bye bye

Bye bye
Poor fly!

You should see my art collection.
It's the best that gold can buy.
Not to speak of my fine etchings,
That will surely please your eye!

!By!EId!CWk~$%28KGrHqYOKiIEwR!2fMdSBMP3TgDWFw~~_3.JPG

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've yet to find a point bowtie that I like for sale (and I've only ever found three). I have two that I've made from modern ties, with a couple more ties slated for conversion, but I'd love to find an original someday.

Feraud

Bartender
There was a buy it now/best offer I couldn't resist on ebay. Six painted ties for 12 bucks. The seller kindly took 10.
They are all nice but the gem in that collection was a gray tie with a painted campfire.
Here is a pic from the auction that doesn't do the ties justice.
I'll snap some better pics.
pic.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken