Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
I tend to favor Art Deco patterning, but I found it difficult to pass these two up:

4897097582_39a07436f5_b.jpg

There's something beautifully garish about the jockey tie, and the one with the rifles is just plain awesome.

——S.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
S_M_Cumberworth said:
I tend to favor Art Deco patterning, but I found it difficult to pass these two up:

4897097582_39a07436f5_b.jpg

There's something beautifully garish about the jockey tie, and the one with the rifles is just plain awesome.

——S.

Rifles and quails, now that's a great combination!:eusa_clap I think that they're both awesome. Any labels? (And welcome to the Lounge! What district of L.A. are you from, neighbor?)

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
Rifles and quails, now that's a great combination!:eusa_clap I think that they're both awesome. Any labels? (And welcome to the Lounge! What district of L.A. are you from, neighbor?)

No tags on the jockey tie. The rifle tie is a Wembley.

And I live in Los Feliz. Thanks for the welcome!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
2010augustbasterd030.jpg

My vintage ties (from the forties I think...the rust-orange/golden maybe earlier)

I am not sure if this wool tie is vintage. It has the same lenght as the others (way shorter than modern ties)
2010augustbasterd033.jpg

IIRC it's rayon, but it might be a silk/acetate mix; let me check when I get home from work tomorrow morning. I think it's late 40s, but depending on the material it could be earlier. To be honest I haven't paid much attention to it. Been rather busy.

It was about $1. I got a bunch of other deadstock ties at the same time. One more box with a bunch of deadstock ties in it. The whole lot (there were 9 ties) came to about $10 (£7.50; he did me a deal for "taking them off his hands") at a stall on Walthamstow High Street. No idea where the chap came from, there aren't usually any second hand stalls there, it's a fruit and veg market

bk

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Flat Foot', every one of those is fantastic!!

-----------

Good little haul there, thunder'! I love the instructions on what suit to wear them with. lol :eusa_clap

-----------

Way to go, Baron!! Instead of 'one-upping' me in the NOS dept., you 'TEN-UPPED' me! You guys play rough here in the Major Leagues of vintage tie collecting. :D

I checked that Pilgrim, and it's made of "Rayon; a Celanese yarn". [huh] It's certainly early 50s - it's made of that jacquard weave with shiny bits forming a pattern within the weave.

Here's another one I got in a different lot. Footballs! A "Louvre Cravat". Lovely herringbone/chevron weave in the footballs.

LouvreFootballsTie.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
Flat Foot', every one of those is fantastic!!
Thank you. I only have these few vintage ties. The germans apparently didn't keep their stuff from the 30s and 40s and it is impossible to find them in normal second hand shops. (yeah maybe they want to get rid of every memory after the war...even the clothes)

I really envy the collectors in US who show their new finds every week. I have to choose more careful but I wear every tie I own.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Flat Foot Floey said:
The germans apparently didn't keep their stuff from the 30s and 40s and it is impossible to find them in normal second hand shops. (yeah maybe they want to get rid of every memory after the war...even the clothes)

Nope. The reason why you're not finding that stuff in Germany is that the German rag companies have been exporting it to Third World countries for the past 20 years. I used to run into vintage German menswear from the late 1800s to the 1960s all the time in Chilean "Used European Clothing" shops. Neckties, frock coats, suits, tuxedos, overcoats, leather coats, loden coats, vests -- you name it, they had it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken