Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Nebraska is tie heaven. I literally had to pass up at least 200 ties of varying condition. I picked the best of what I found.

026-2.jpg

027-2.jpg

028-2.jpg

029-2.jpg

The craziest '40s ties I've ever seen:
030-2.jpg

031-2.jpg

I'm sure the picks in LA are great, and the volume just as great. But for price, midwestern thrift and antique/junk stores are unbeatable, particularly those in the sticks. I never went through a week in Lafayette, IN, with no ties from one thrift store or another, usually originally purchased from a local store back in the day. Lafayette (population today approx 125,000 had at least 6 independent menswear stores!). This was over 6 years, and so you can see why the Baroness complains about my tie volume. :eek:

Clothes was a bit more patchy, but they were there too.

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
for price, midwestern thrift and antique/junk stores are unbeatable, particularly those in the sticks.
Yeah, once the stuff finds its way to the cities (Chicago especially) the price trebles, particularly furniture.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I found a half-dozen vintage and semi-vintage ties in a junky thrift shop I rarely visit in a town about an hour north of here. Ties were all jumbled up in a bin and I only had five minutes to dig through them before I had to pick up my wife, so there may have been more vintage ones in there. Gotta check it out when I have more time.

First off, two English knitted silk ties. I didn't have any like this and I'm not sure what to wear them with, bit I like them.

ties_Knit1.jpg

ties_knit2.jpg

I have a weakness for plaid wool ties and these two are pretty nice. But what the hell is a spider loom?

ties_PlaidWool1.jpg

ties_PlaidWool2.jpg

I particularly like the Arrow tie - the pattern is raised, sort of a brocaid.

ties_Red1.jpg

ties_Red2.jpg

Odd that Arrow patented the label - I've never seen that before.

ties_Red3.jpg

ties_Red4.jpg

Any thoughts on the dates of these ties would be appreciated (I'm assuming the Arrow with the patented label is from the 30s...)

An interesting knitted tie which I suspect would be a kid's tie. Very short indeed, but I'm short so it ties to quite a good length, both thin end and fat end. Re: the knitted ties thread, yes I am wearing this with worsted. Cocking the proverbial snook at formality. ;)

It says "Hand Knitted of Bear Brand Yarn".

BearBrandTie1.jpg

bk

Warbaby said:
First off, two English knitted silk ties. I didn't have any like this and I'm not sure what to wear them with, bit I like them.
ties_Knit1.jpg

That type of tie is really interesting, I associate it with a sporty look if used with a suit and and outdoors look if used with a sports jacket. I seem to recall them being used with jackets you'd wear in the country. Corduroy keeps popping into my head.​

Baron Kurtz said:
An interesting knitted tie which I suspect would be a kid's tie. Very short indeed, but I'm short so it ties to quite a good length, both thin end and fat end. Re: the knitted ties thread, yes I am wearing this with worsted. Cocking the proverbial snook at formality. ;)

It says "Hand Knitted of Bear Brand Yarn".

BearBrandTie1.jpg

bk

If I remember correctly, yarn companies would give you a tag like that to use for a completed tie. Wives would make these for their husbandsand children. I actually have one in green and tan that I am sure a friend of mine made for her husband in the 1940s from a pattern given out by the yarn company to promote yarn sales. Pretty good promotion for the time really.
You buy the yarn and get a ready made project. ;)

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I love reading all these neat bits on how things were in the past; all the marketing and sales gimmicks from back then. Just so clever, and different from today. So interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken