Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
I rarely buy ties in stores in London - wayyyyy too expensive. But i saw this one yesterday and couldn't resist. So cute little Scotty dog print; probably 1930s.

Printed rayon twill material, no labels.

Scotties1.jpg

Scotties2.jpg

bk

One of the best ties I've seen!

Feraud

Bartender
Widebrim said:
The last one on the right is a killer, and I love the Nu-Way tie!
I agree about that one on the right. It's definitely a favorite.
The Nu-Way arrived in a lot of ties and it wasn't even on my radar. My wife likes it more than I do.

The scottie dog ties are neat.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I know I've posted this one before: it's a hand-painted Britico called 'California Symphony.' But I also have it posted on my Flickr site and today I received this comment:

'Britico was my father's company. I remember as a little boy in the WWII years going with him to a little place in Laurel Canyon in Hollywood where two sisters lived and painted all the ties. Great memory seeing this photo. Sadly, I didn't keep any of the old ties.'

I will be trying to get more information from him to get a first-hand insight about the company and how they were made. Cool!

broncotie100.jpg
[/IMG]

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
I know I've posted this one before: it's a hand-painted Britico called 'California Symphony.' But I also have it posted on my Flickr site and today I received this comment:

'Britico was my father's company. I remember as a little boy in the WWII years going with him to a little place in Laurel Canyon in Hollywood where two sisters lived and painted all the ties. Great memory seeing this photo. Sadly, I didn't keep any of the old ties.'

I will be trying to get more information from him to get a first-hand insight about the company and how they were made. Cool!

Man, that is a great story. Does he still live in L.A.? I'm sure that some of us down here would like to speak with him. Pity he doesn't have any of the company's ties.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Now here is one that I picked up today at a thrift store, and which is kind of a mystery to me:
CCF00482010_00000.jpg

Okay, it looks like an early-'50s necktie, from design, to thickness, to material, to width (4"), to length (51"). The stitching indicates European rather than United States, but that doesn't negate its age. What is odd, though, is the designer tag on the back of the front blade:
CCF00482010_00001.jpg

The label appears to be something from at least the '60s (if not later), which would seem to indicate a repro. Yet the tie has the qualities of a later Bold Look example, down to the yellowed inner lining. And why would a tie label have "super 100's" on it? "Lanificio," I believe, means wool mill, but the tie's texture feels more like acetate. Is the label possibly from a suit, and sewed on years later?

So, what is it? Help me out here, guys.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21