Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Except that it has all the traits that were part of that era, apart from the European stitching. I can't see a designer copying a Bold Look tie during the early-'60s, including size dimensions. Going back to the label, I traced Lanificio Policarpo Cerrutti, and it is a producer of wool and silk fabrics. I don't see why a tie label would have "super 100's" written on it, something which is associated with wool suits.

Feraud

Bartender
I am no expert by any means but judging by that label I think it is relatively modern.. maybe 60s at oldest? I would guess newer.
All other details (width, length, lining, pattern, etc.) can be copied, intentionally or not.
Let's not forget Ralph Lauren has done a decent job copying 30s style ties.

I cannot look at that label and think it is very old..

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Widebrim said:
I don't see why a tie label would have "super 100's" written on it, something which is associated with wool suits.
Maybe it's wool. I recall reading that the early Super 100's wool from the 60's was very silky. [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
Widebrim said:
^^Thanks, Feraud. It is just so odd, though, since the feel, construction, and dimensions are so right-on Bold Look. I tend to think that the label was added later, but who knows?[huh]

That label steers me away from thinking it is a late 40s Bold Look tie. It may be possible someone changed the label..

Let's discuss the quality/style of the images on the tie. I have a few painted ties but some of you have a lot more and are better suited to give an informed opinion.
What do you think about style of the graphic? Do they look late 40s-50s?

Feraud said:
That label steers me away from thinking it is a late 40s Bold Look tie. It may be possible someone changed the label..

Let's discuss the quality/style of the images on the tie. I have a few painted ties but some of you have a lot more and are better suited to give an informed opinion.
What do you think about style of the graphic? Do they look late 40s-50s?

A proficient artist could could do that graphic at any point in time.
The label really cinches it. I doubt someone would change a label for the worse. ;) :p
The hand paint was something that could well have been done much later. It doesn't really have a certain edge to it as a 40s handpaint might. Something is just missing to my eye.[huh]

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
A proficient artist could could do that graphic at any point in time.
The label really cinches it. I doubt someone would change a label for the worse. ;) :p
The hand paint was something that could well have been done much later. It doesn't really have a certain edge to it as a 40s handpaint might. Something is just missing to my eye.[huh]

That's very possible, JP. What gets me, though, is the construction, the length, and the yellowing. Usually, ties from the late-60s onwards do not have a great deal of yellowing on the strip of cloth which lies between the two blades; this one does. Plus, the rear blade is widely "splayed" the way they were on Bold Look ties. I have never seen a wide tie from the late-'60s/'70s that had a splayed rear blade, nor one that only measured 51".[huh]

Widebrim said:
That's very possible, JP. What gets me, though, is the construction, the length, and the yellowing. Usually, ties from the late-60s onwards do not have a great deal of yellowing on the strip of cloth which lies between the two blades; this one does. Plus, the rear blade is widely "splayed" the way they were on Bold Look ties. I have never seen a wide tie from the late-'60s/'70s that had a splayed rear blade, nor one that only measured 51".[huh]

I can tell you it isn't a 60s or 70s tie. 60s would be too thin and 70s would be waaaaaay wider and thicker. :p
I have seen ties in the 80s with the splayed end. Even if it was from back then, remember it has been twenty years. There is bound to be some yellowing just as some of us have some graying. :p lol lol lol

I've seen a bunch of ties from the middle 80s that used "retro" patterns like this. But they were all pretty well done repros. Correct width and fabrics, and length, for a 1940s tie. This seems like it has the right fabric and patterns/art, but all the wrong dimensions. How weird.

The yellowing: Is it yellowed over time, or always was just yellow?

bk

A box of ties from CWS. The Gannet! 60s unfortunately, and only 3 of 'em, but cool all the same …

Gannet1.jpg

Gannet2.jpg

Gannet3.jpg

bk

Nice!
That reminds me that I found two bags while rummaging through my hat room. One bag of neckties and one of bowties. I bought them years ago from Art and never opened them. Quite a few hand painted ties and some nice black 30s ties. I even found two new ties still on the card. Wembley Nor East.
I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight. There are quite a few of them. I went through them and sorted them by color.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
I've seen a bunch of ties from the middle 80s that used "retro" patterns like this. But they were all pretty well done repros. Correct width and fabrics, and length, for a 1940s tie. This seems like it has the right fabric and patterns/art, but all the wrong dimensions. How weird.

The yellowing: Is it yellowed over time, or always was just yellow?

bk

Well, it is 4" wide and 51" long, which would be correct for post-WWII. What is odd, besides the tag, is that the blades are completely sewn together, something which is not found on American ties of that time period. Regarding the inner fabric, it has yellowed with time. I tend to think that it is a vintage tie, which was later sewed up (European-style), and to which the tag was added in order to slip the rear blade through it. What is perhaps a piece of this puzzle is that on the same rack, I found another tie, clearly an American one (Penny's Towncraft), the blades of which were also later sewn up. (This is evident by the way the Penny's label is covered up, something which could not have occured normally, since the Penny's label would have been sewn on after the tie was finished.) It is possible that both ties belonged to the same man, who "doctored" them up some years later. At any rate, I'll bring the necktie in question to the Queen Mary event for all to see and judge!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken