Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Not sucking in the 70s

Found this 1970s Pierre Cardin at one of my secret shops. Fifty bucks, plus another fifty to have the trousers and sleeves hemmed. The trouser cuffs were originally a FOOT wide and I had them taken down to about 9.25. I think this could have been an early go at 30s repro for Cardin because while the trousers had the 70s flair, the lapel is no where near as wide as we should expect. Heavy wool, too. 14-16 oz. I'd guess. Certainly as heavy as my 40s/50s stuff.

DSCF0820.jpg

DSCF0821.jpg

DSCF0822.jpg

DSCF0825.jpg

And Good Lord! Is that a DOUBLE WINDSOR KNOT???? :eek:

Regards,

Senator Jack

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Great suits, everybody! Deckard, that ensemble is definitely classic and looks like it fits very well. How well does the fabric hold a crease with the wide-leg pants?

BK, I am so envious of that DB suit- it's perfect! I tend to tuck in the pocket flaps because I like the more streamlined look, but they don't add too much bulk to the look and actually help balance out your shoulders. The break is also, as always, perfect. You also look very dapper, almost like an artist, in your SB 3-piece sans tie (even though you are actually a scientist)

Jack, I like that ensemble- I like how the tie has that one stripe that echoes the shirt.

Mr. Rover said:
BK, I am so envious of that DB suit- it's perfect! I tend to tuck in the pocket flaps because I like the more streamlined look, but they don't add too much bulk to the look and actually help balance out your shoulders. The break is also, as always, perfect. You also look very dapper, almost like an artist, in your SB 3-piece sans tie (even though you are actually a scientist)

Thanks Ray. The DB is one of my favourites. it was marketed on eBay as "will fit a very small girl", i guess that's why no-one went for it . . . As for the artist thing: Well, all the creativity has been driven from my body for the moment. I don't often go tie-less these days. Should do so more often, i guess.

Jack - great suit, as usual. I have a Geoffrey (sp?) Beene that i need to have the flares removed from the legs that is along the same lines as your one. btw My pop refers to his knot as "double Windsor" too. And he wears stupendously fat 70s ties . . . you can imagine the knots. Works for him, though. He owns the 70s throwback look. Apparently he's suddenly become cool in town. All the kids are getting into 70s gear, and here comes my dad off to work in his best polyester duds.

bk

There is only the Windsor and half-Windsor. I think a double Windsor would be the end of the world as we knew it.

And I keep saying there's no such thing as a vodka martini, but who listens to me?

Okay, so let's open this up for idiotic discussion again. And, again, I'll ask everyone to refrain from saying 'this is the best' or 'that is the worst' based on how 'he' looks in the mirror. In case you (the general 'you' out there, and not the specific) don't realize that everyone in the world is not you, and that they do not have the same body type/frame as you, and they are not as lucky as to have the same size neck as you, I should like to inform you that they don't. I know you must find this very difficult to believe since all greatness emanates from you and that the universe came into existence when you, and only you, made that long arduous trip down your mother's birth canal, but, again, I must inform you that we were indeed here, along with the universe, when that splendid event did happen. Now, I'm sorry to pull the rug out from you like that, but, I'm afraid it had to be done and I happen to come from a very long proudful line of rug-pullers - no bawdy comments please. So, if this is all understood, and you can give me a sound reason why your knot (whichever you prefer or was handed down to you by the gods before you made your grand and glorious entrance to our universe) and have that reason be free from subjectivity then I'll be happy to debate on this topic ad nauseum.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
And I keep saying there's no such thing as a vodka martini, but who listens to me?

Okay, so let's open this up for idiotic discussion again. And, again, I'll ask everyone to refrain from saying 'this is the best' or 'that is the worst' based on how 'he' looks in the mirror. In case you (the general 'you' out there, and not the specific) don't realize that everyone in the world is not you, and that they do not have the same body type/frame as you, and they are not as lucky as to have the same size neck as you, I should like to inform you that they don't. I know you must find this very difficult to believe since all greatness emanates from you and that the universe came into existence when you, and only you, made that long arduous trip down your mother's birth canal, but, again, I must inform you that we were indeed here, along with the universe, when that splendid event did happen. Now, I'm sorry to pull the rug out from you like that, but, I'm afraid it had to be done and I happen to come from a very long proudful line of rug-pullers - no bawdy comments please. So, if this is all understood, and you can give me a sound reason why your knot (whichever you prefer or was handed down to you by the gods before you made your grand and glorious entrance to our universe) and have that reason be free from subjectivity then I'll be happy to debate on this topic ad nauseum.

Regards,

Senator Jack

You made me snarf my diet coke.

lol

Jovan

Suspended
Jack: I was correcting you (and making a joke about how an ACTUAL double Windsor would be so big that it would end the world). The double Windsor you refer to is just a Windsor, since the other knot is called a half-Windsor. ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jovan said:
Jack: I was correcting you (and making a joke about how an ACTUAL double Windsor would be so big that it would end the world). The double Windsor you refer to is just a Windsor, since the other knot is called a half-Windsor. ;)
The Double Windsor Knot is a term in common usage. Maybe, before correcting someone, you should do a little bit of investigation first. Whether or not they are synonymous is regardless of the fact. Which term you prefer is also irrelevant.

Jovan

Suspended
Hemingway Jones said:
The Double Windsor Knot is a term in common usage. Maybe, before correcting someone, you should do a little bit of investigation first. Whether or not they are synonymous is regardless of the fact. Which term you prefer is also irrelevant.
That wasn't my point. A double Windsor is simply a Windsor due to the fact that there's another knot named the half-Windsor. I had never heard anyone call it a double Windsor until recently, contrary to "common usage."

Frankly, I'm no longer in the mood to clarify that my posts are not ill-intended to those who read way too much into what I say (since it never makes any difference anyways), so take everything as you will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82