Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
happy $10 club to me this week!

pendleton-style jacket, $5 (with my employee discount). i LOVE these jackets!
stuff037.jpg

blue flowered cotton dress. not normally into 1950s dresses but this is adorable and easy to wear for summer! i included a closeup of the belt because people were talking about what to do about too-short belts. this one has a buttonhole on each end, and then it closes with a self-fabric tie that goes through both buttonholes! it would be easy to do this with a regular belt with just a little sewing. $9 at a thrift consignment store near my house.
bluedress.jpg

lightweight coat, $5 on clearance at Value Village, recently. not sure of the era, but when it's on it sure looks 40s, although the collar makes me suspect it's later. i swear i'm going to get a mannequin just so i can display my stuff better for picture-taking!!
stuff038.jpg

1952 college yearbook. a new addition to my collection, and it was $5! thrift consignment store also.
stuff039.jpg
stuff005.jpg

deco scrapbook, unused except there's a "merry christmas 1934" message written inside the cover. $6.50 at the thrift consignment. i also got a fabulous black crepe 40s dress for $12 there, but i couldn't take a decent picture of it for the life of me!
stuff026.jpg

unfortunately i couldn't take pics of the stuff i bought today at an AMAZING rummage sale! including 2 30s dresses, a pair of 50s dungarees, a bunch of 50s nylon blouses, a 40s polkadot dress, and a ton of linens and fabric and housewares!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Timorous that dress is so pretty!!! It makes me long for summer. :( lol

I did very well today after a long dry spell.

First for the clothes.

A 1940's or early 50's dress with a metal side zipper.

vintagedress.jpg

What I believe is a 1950's cardigan

beadedcardigan.jpg

A crochet vest that I think is the late 50's early 60's. It has a metal back zipper and has a boutique label from Fitchburg, Massachusetts

crochettop.jpg

A 100% wool granny sweater from Bermuda.

woolcardigan.jpg

A 40's inspired blazer with puff sleeves. I also picked up the cameo necklace that is shown in the pic.

black40sjacket.jpg

Total cost for all of the above $16.00 :eusa_clap

Kimberly

Practically Family
I don't know why my first pocket book pic is as big as it is. :eek: Sorry. :(

Here are a couple of things I picked up that were non-clothes. I also picked up a 1940's or 1950's electric fan that still works.

beautybag.jpg

silver.jpg

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
I got this dress on Ebay. It says it's from the 1960's. I'm still new at trying to date clothes and stuff. It looks a bit baggy for me, but I'm hoping a nice belt will fix that, and for only $5.99 I couldn't pass it up.

d55c_12.jpg
[/IMG]

d45e_12.jpg
[/IMG]

Snookie

Practically Family
Rockapin-up said:

You know, if you added a chunky cardigan and/or a cute cloche, this dress could also pass for a 1920s day dress. (If you ever want such a thing...) But I'm sure a belt will cinch it in nicely, too. :eusa_clap

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Auction

Have have enjoyed seeing all the beautiful things you ladies have been buying! You gals sure do know how to shop!!!
I was lucky enough to be at an auction today that had vintage clothing!! I almost peed my pants from the excitment!;) I bid high and got first pics on the clothing I wanted at 10 bucks a piece. I picked out 12 things and here are a few I choose!

I also was wonder the best way to clean these dresses. I was just going to do dry cleaning. Is that the best way???

P4140001.jpg

P4140003.jpg

P4140006.jpg

P4140007.jpg

Kimberly

Practically Family
OMG Mary!!!! Those are fabulous!!!! :eek: :eek:

The first one is so nice it makes me dizzy!! I would probably dry clean to be on the safe side but please make sure you go to a dry cleaner who knows how to clean vintage. Did you get those dresses for $10 a piece?!?!

timorous me

Familiar Face
oh my stars miss mary, those dresses are FABULOUS!!!

snookie, on the fabric content, this is what the seller had to say: "I do not know what the fabric is, it is silky to the touch, but kind of thick." sounds kinda taffeta-ish to me.

this dress was a teensy bit of a crap shoot, the seller said that it is quite discolored, so i'm going to see how bad the situation is when i get it, try and clean it, and if not... there's always rit dye! plus i bought it for CHEAP! ($6.99 before shipping!)

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Yup 10 dollars a piece. I spent $120 for 12 things. It was highest bidder gets first pick. Then the rest was sold as a lot. hehehe then I bought the lot too!:p

timorous me

Familiar Face
MaryDeluxe said:
Yup 10 dollars a piece. I spent $120 for 12 things. It was highest bidder gets first pick. Then the rest was sold as a lot. hehehe then I bought the lot too!:p

whoo hoo! that's the way to do it! i have gotten some great stuff on the cheap from big estate box-lot autions. i have gotten so many great (and unexpected!) treasures from unmarked boxes i've bought for pennies at auctions...

Kimberly

Practically Family
timorous me said:
oh my stars miss mary, those dresses are FABULOUS!!!

snookie, on the fabric content, this is what the seller had to say: "I do not know what the fabric is, it is silky to the touch, but kind of thick." sounds kinda taffeta-ish to me.

this dress was a teensy bit of a crap shoot, the seller said that it is quite discolored, so i'm going to see how bad the situation is when i get it, try and clean it, and if not... there's always rit dye! plus i bought it for CHEAP! ($6.99 before shipping!)

Have you ever dyed a dress before? I have one coming that has some slight discolorization on the shoulders and I am thinking of dying it if it is very noticable. You couldn't go wrong with that dress IMO, it is so pretty!

timorous me

Familiar Face
i've actually never tried it before, but the color on this one seems light enough, and i figure it could go either of two ways... since the fabric content is ambiguous, i've formulated two main ideas of what it could be... if it is taffeta, it'll probably be a disaster. if it's a thicker cotton like i'm now starting to think it is... it should work ok. really, with your dress, it'll depend on the fiber content. some fabrics just take better to dyes than others. also, it'll depend on the color. if i need to dye this one, i'm going to keep it light... so it'll be less obvious if i screw it up. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marco21