Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
JBD... What kind of curlers do you wear at night? For some reason I thought you slept in pin curls? I don't know why I thought that. [huh]

Kimberly

Practically Family
This is not my hair, but I wanted to show it to you all. lol Sorry for the bluriness. It is out of a book I own and I scanned it.

JBD, I could see you hair in something like this! :eusa_clap

PrettyHairdo.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Lolita, I usually wear the hard foam stick curlers (Daisy posted a photo earlier in the thread.) They are so much faster/easier to use, so I tend to stick with them most of the time. :)

Oh ok. I don't know why I thought you did pin-curls every night. Maybe I am mixing you up with someone else. I am guessing that your curlers give the same effect as my hard perming rods, the only difference is that my hair is longer and a bit thicker making the brushed out curls look slightly different, correct?

Kimberly

Practically Family
Okay, here it is with bigger curls. The bangs were so curly I had to wet them down are blow dry them though. Having short layers makes curling hair a challenge. I guess I need to grow them out some and then some of the curl will get more tamed. [huh]

picapril6th.jpg

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Cute, Kimberly!
Looks like you're getting the curler thing!

I'm going to look for the foam sticks that JBD uses at night and see if they will work for me. I toss and turn so much in my sleep that any kind of curlers come out. (This a.m. I woke up and one of the spagetti straps on my nightgown had come loose from all my wiggling around in bed. Its a wonder I don't wake up hubby!)

Jitterbugdoll,
Do you set your hair every night with the foam sticks? If not, how do you keep your curls from drooping and getting all mashed while you sleep?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kimberly your hair came out great!:eusa_clap

I have a question for all you ladies. I usually set my hair by doing a wet set. I have tried many a different hot curlers, and I get great curls from them but they just never last more than a few hours. I absolutely love the curls I get from my Carusoe Steam rollers, those things rock! And they heat up so incredibly fast. Well, last night I was way too lazy to set my hair, but I wanted to wear my hair curly today. So, I'm using hot sticks.

My question is: What products do you all use on your hair when you use heat curlers. I mean when I do a wet set I spray my hair down with Queen Helene setting lotion. But, what do you use on a dry set to help your curls last longer. I bought this Bumble and Bumble lotion called something like Curly Mama. It's a lotion that you put in your hair to enhance curls. I put this in my dry hair and then used the hot sticks and then while the hot sticks were setting I gave a spray of hairspray. Also, how long do you leave your hot curlers in. I mean, do they do any good once they have cooled down? I've had mine in for about a half an hour, and they are all cooled down, but I was kind of thinking that maybe if I let then sit a little longer, they might be nicer.
So, what kinds of products do you use for a dry set, and how long do you keep the curlers in for?

Thanks!!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi girls. I have used Biolage Thermal Active Setting Spray for years in the salon. I've tried others and they've been too sticky or wet.
http://www.jrussellsalons.com/biolage_styling_thermal_active_setting_spray.htm
Usually, when I do hot rollers I leave them in until they cool. Then be sure to not brush out the actual curls until they're cool as well, weather done with a curling iron or whatever. Even when you dry your hair with a round brush, hit it with the cool button for a sec before releasing.

The Caruso steam rollers never seam to actually dry for me. I have to sit under the dyer a bit with them.

Kimberly, I think you'd like your hair grown out a bit. Your layers seem to be all one length and there is no room for movement in your style. Any way you roll it you're going to have a rather fifties look. You definately have the rollers down, and that's awesome because it's harder to grasp those short layers!
Thank you SO much for posting that hair updo photo! I absolutely LOVE those molded looks.
I do alot of modern updos that way. Many of these photos I've done http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343343421
were just hot roller sets. Undo the rollers, shape and pin curls in place. The do in picture 17 looks frizzy tho, that was a SPEED updo, we had to do it in a big hurry, but I was still happy with the results.
I would love to have a model to try that vintage do on! Dunno if I could do it on myself or not!

Nikki

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Daisy,
I think the amount of time you leave the hot roller/sticks in depends on how well your hair holds a curl. My hair curls very easy, so I only leave them in until their barely cooled down. (Besides, I only have one set of hot sticks and have to keep rotating them.)

If I'm curling my hair dry, I'll spritz on a bit of hairspray and then roll it and once I remove the curlers, I'll give another spritz of hairspray and when I've finished styling it, another spritz of hairspray. Sounds like I need to invest some money into hairspray stock. lol

Since I'm still "learning" how to curl my hair, I've been washing my hair in the a.m., and while the hair is still damp, put on a good leave-in conditioner and then spray it with Lottabody. I'll speed up the drying process with my blow dryer a little bit and then I'll use the hot sticks. Today I didn't put any hairspray on until I was completely done and so far, so good. I've got to go to town today and the wind looks like its blowing pretty good, so I'll see if this holds.

Also, does it take very long for you to set your hair (the night before) with the foam sticks? I've got fibromyalgia and holding my arms up for a length time (like setting hair) can sometimes give me problems.

Nikki,
I love your new avatar, and the photo frame is super cute!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
BonnieJean, I do set my hair every night with the foam sticks, though I only wash it every 2-3 nights. If I do not set my hair, the curls straighten out and my hair will not take a hot set well at that point either. The foam sticks are very similar to Hot Sticks, and it takes the same amount of time to set my hair in either. The hair must be barely damp before setting though, or it will not dry completely by morning.

Daisy, I actually comb a dime-sized amount of setting lotion with hot rollers. I also will use a gel/mousse mixture on occasion, and years ago I did use a thermal setting spray (I cannot remember the name though--it came in gray bottle with blue lettering.) But I find that setting lotion works fine for me, and once my hair is in rollers, I mist it with a firm hold hair spray. For me this last step is key, for if I do not use hair spray (and I must spray the rollers while they are still hot), my hair does not take a hot set and turns out rather limp.

Kim_B

Practically Family
*chanting*
Grow hair, grow! Grow hair, grow!

You ladies are making me jealous with your lovely locks!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Actually Kim, I'm a little jealous of your hair! I always have wanted to pull off a cute short, curly style, but I don't really have the head/face shape for short hair... plus my hair is really thick and wouldn't lay well.... *sigh*

But I have a question for you ladies.... what do you do on those days when you just don't have the time/energy/any willingness whatsoever to do a full set or go through the effort of doing a full hairstyle...

I've been having quite a few of those lazy hair days lately :( :eusa_doh:
Since my hair is pretty curly naturally, I just let it do its thang and pin up the front in two lazy reverse rolls or two pseudo-rolls, which is what I have in my avatar.... or completely give up and throw it up in a claw clip. :eek:

What do you ladies do when you hit the hair blahs? Any easy tips and tricks?

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Kim_B said:
*chanting*
Grow hair, grow! Grow hair, grow!

You ladies are making me jealous with your lovely locks!

Actually, Kim, I recently chopped my hair from about medium length to super short. It has grown out to just above my shoulders. My hair is ridiculously straight and has a strong resistance to curl. However, I've found with my hair this length it is more receptive to curls and vintage looks. But that's just me. :)

Daisy Buchanan

Adelaidey said:
Actually Kim, I'm a little jealous of your hair! I always have wanted to pull off a cute short, curly style, but I don't really have the head/face shape for short hair... plus my hair is really thick and wouldn't lay well.... *sigh*

But I have a question for you ladies.... what do you do on those days when you just don't have the time/energy/any willingness whatsoever to do a full set or go through the effort of doing a full hairstyle...

I've been having quite a few of those lazy hair days lately :( :eusa_doh:
Since my hair is pretty curly naturally, I just let it do its thang and pin up the front in two lazy reverse rolls or two pseudo-rolls, which is what I have in my avatar.... or completely give up and throw it up in a claw clip. :eek:

What do you ladies do when you hit the hair blahs? Any easy tips and tricks?

I think you've got the easy thing down. Today I just didn't feel like doing rolls, I had put some hot sticks in to give my limp hair a little body (I ended up with a head of curls somehow, that has never happened before, I"m actually quite pleased, but thats another story.) Anyway, I usually pull back the sides in a pseudo roll, kind of twist the hair and then push it forward a bit, then pin it. This takes no time at all, I think it's the fastest way to get a somewhat put together look. I usually add a flower or pretty barrette on one side. My other quick fix is to pin my hair up in a French twist. I leave the ends kind of hanging down if I don't feel like tucking them in and I'll quickly curl them with a curling iron. This takes no time at all and might give you some variety to your quick do's.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
When I have the hair blahs, I usually just blow dry my hair straight (it's naturally wavy, but not in a very attractive way, but it's super easy to make straight), and put two combs in it on either side (asymmetrically) to give a little vintage flair and call it a day!

I did that two days ago when I had to shower in the morning, which is something I never do because I never have enough time before class. It looked pretty cute, and it was nice to be able to touch my hair without fearing I'll knock some curls out or anything!

When I went on vacation with my parents I wore my hair straight for the whole two weeks, and was just petting my hair the whole time! It's funny how when you do elaborate hairstyles you have to train yourself to not touch your hair!

Daisy Buchanan

Thank You all so much for all of your help!!!

JBD, I saw some thermal type of spray at the beauty store and was wondering what it was for. I'll have to pick myself up some. I did spray each roll right after I rolled it with a good hold hairspray and this seemed to help a lot.
I'm actually really surprised by the curls I got this time from the Hot Sticks. I've used them a few times before just to do touch ups, but I've never actually tried to curl my entire head like this before. I usually use the Carusoe Steam rollers, for I get a great curl from them. Anyway, I liberally applied the Bumble and Bumble Hot Mama Curl Creme, and this seemed to work, for I have a full head of curls. I didn't brush them out afterwards, just kind of fingered through them. Now they have softened nicely, but I don't think they're gonna last:( Hot sets, no matter what I try, never last. But, I think they might last at least til the end of the night, which is all I can hope for. I'm gonna put in the Sassy curlers tonight with some more of the curl creme and see if that helps to make the curls I have last a bit longer. I just have to deal with the fact that the only curls that will ever last in my heavy straight hair are curls from a wet set with a lot of setting lotion. I'm just so lazy in the evening and the last thing I want to do is wash my hair and set it. I guess I was looking for an easier way, but for me there doesn't seem to be one:(

Thanks so much for all of your advice! I appreciate it greatly:)

Daisy Buchanan

BonnieJean said:
Daisy,
I think the amount of time you leave the hot roller/sticks in depends on how well your hair holds a curl. My hair curls very easy, so I only leave them in until their barely cooled down. (Besides, I only have one set of hot sticks and have to keep rotating them.)

If I'm curling my hair dry, I'll spritz on a bit of hairspray and then roll it and once I remove the curlers, I'll give another spritz of hairspray and when I've finished styling it, another spritz of hairspray. Sounds like I need to invest some money into hairspray stock. lol

Since I'm still "learning" how to curl my hair, I've been washing my hair in the a.m., and while the hair is still damp, put on a good leave-in conditioner and then spray it with Lottabody. I'll speed up the drying process with my blow dryer a little bit and then I'll use the hot sticks. Today I didn't put any hairspray on until I was completely done and so far, so good. I've got to go to town today and the wind looks like its blowing pretty good, so I'll see if this holds.

Also, does it take very long for you to set your hair (the night before) with the foam sticks? I've got fibromyalgia and holding my arms up for a length time (like setting hair) can sometimes give me problems.

Nikki,
I love your new avatar, and the photo frame is super cute!

Thanks again BonnieJean. I just wanted to let you know that using the foam sticks has been great for me, they are easy to use and I can set my entire head quite quickly. I know what's it's like not to be able to hold your arms in the air for too long. I have rheumatoid arthritis. I was actually talking one day to JBD about how the RA makes setting my hair difficult, and kind of painful. She was so sweet, she found out about a hairbrush with a different kind of handle that is better for people with my problem, I got it and my hands no longer hurt when I brush my hair. She also recommended the foam sticks to me for the same reason. Of course any time you curl your hair you have to hold your arms up for some time, but these curlers are so easy to use that they don't take as much time, so less time for your arms to be raised. They also happen to be the curlers that give me the best curl, so I really made out. I highly recommend them. I posted a pic a few pages prior to this one of the kind I got. I got the Sassy Curlers at www.adiscountbeauty.com, but the brand has it's own website as well. However, you can find a coupon code for Adiscount in this thread for 15% the total of all purchases made the month of April. So, they might be cheaper than buying from the manufacturer.
Also, and I'm sure you know this already but it's something that I just figured out, I find that I get less pain and can hold my arms in the air a bit longer if I set my hair while sitting down.
I hope you find some of this useful. :) Good Luck!

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
foam rollers or pillow rollers??

I was going to go get some curlers this evening or tommorrow.

Do you gals like the foam ones, (like they have at Wal-Mart?), or are the "pillow" ones better? I saw the pillow ones on sale at Walgreen's at 'buy one get one half off'. How many do you think I need? My hair is pretty long and probably medium thickness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82