Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Voodoo, I used about 12 pillow rollers in my hair and I think there are 20 per package. So I'd have a lot more curl if I used them all. My hair is just below my shoulders and medium to thick.

I think the pillow rollers give a softer, natural wave looking pattern; whereas the sponge rollers are a more circular curl pattern. Either way, the tighter you roll them the tighter the curl. Esp. if you use small sponge rollers.

The pillows are easier to sleep on, but easier to slip out of the hair too. Pros and cons.. sigh.......

Nikki
PS.. just realized we *might* not be talking about the same foam type... I mean the pink ones with the plastic lever than locks over the top. Well, I guess some come in different colors too.

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
I meant the pink ones too, they do have them in different colors, they had a multi-pack at Wal-Mart. But the pillow ones look so much more comfortable. I might try them. I'm not sure how many were in the package I saw at the "buy one get one half off". I saw them at Target too, they were $7 or $8 there for a whole bunch, I think there were 20 or so, which should be enough I'd imagine.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Voodoo Kitten said:
I was going to go get some curlers this evening or tommorrow.

Do you gals like the foam ones, (like they have at Wal-Mart?), or are the "pillow" ones better? I saw the pillow ones on sale at Walgreen's at 'buy one get one half off'. How many do you think I need? My hair is pretty long and probably medium thickness.

Like Nikki says it really depends on the type of curl you want. I like the pillow rollers better, for they are more comfy to sleep in and they give me a softer curl. That is, if you are talking about the foam rollers that Nikki described. If you are talking about the foam sticks, the ones that look like tulips like I posted earlier in this thread, those give a great curl and are the most comfortable to sleep in.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Thanks again BonnieJean. I just wanted to let you know that using the foam sticks has been great for me, they are easy to use and I can set my entire head quite quickly. I know what's it's like not to be able to hold your arms in the air for too long. I have rheumatoid arthritis. I was actually talking one day to JBD about how the RA makes setting my hair difficult, and kind of painful. She was so sweet, she found out about a hairbrush with a different kind of handle that is better for people with my problem, I got it and my hands no longer hurt when I brush my hair. She also recommended the foam sticks to me for the same reason. Of course any time you curl your hair you have to hold your arms up for some time, but these curlers are so easy to use that they don't take as much time, so less time for your arms to be raised. They also happen to be the curlers that give me the best curl, so I really made out. I highly recommend them. I posted a pic a few pages prior to this one of the kind I got. I got the Sassy Curlers at www.adiscountbeauty.com, but the brand has it's own website as well. However, you can find a coupon code for Adiscount in this thread for 15% the total of all purchases made the month of April. So, they might be cheaper than buying from the manufacturer.
Also, and I'm sure you know this already but it's something that I just figured out, I find that I get less pain and can hold my arms in the air a bit longer if I set my hair while sitting down.
I hope you find some of this useful. :) Good Luck!

Thanks, Daisy for the information and especially for the coupon code. I had forgotten about that. I'm going to order those things today. Anything to make my life easier is helpful. (BTW, I found out that my hair holds a curl a lot longer with the hot sticks too. Mine is a little windblown right now, but I've been fighting 40 mph wind gusts when I was out shopping earlier!)

Update: Daisy, that coupon code expired! (*sad sigh*) But I'm going to see if I can't find another one--I know how to find them, if they're out there!

JBD, thanks for the tip about wearing the foam sticks. I think that will work for me too and will help keep the curls in place. I've had to wash my hair every day for years, but maybe this new way of styling my hair (setting it in curlers) will enable me to only have to wash my hair every other day--that would be a blessing! I already have a shower cap, so I'm ready to go....well, I've got to get my foam sticks first.

Thanks ladies, for all the input here on this thread. I've learned a lot!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I just ordered the foam sticks (2 sets) and they're on sale! A set of 12 is normally $15.95 and right now they're $12.95. So I saved $6 and that kind of makes up for not having a coupon. I can't wait until they get here so I can try them out. Until then, I'll have to stick with my Hot Sticks.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Pillow rollers question

Thanks for the recommendation ladies on the pillow rollers!

Here's my question, how long do they last and has anyone had to replace theirs yet? I have only used mine since Thursday, but I am afraid with all the twisting and untwisting they will get ratty looking fast, plus the foam center seems to be moving. I really like the wave they give over using pin curl clips, which take forever to brush into waves:eek:, but the clips hold up so much better.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gosh dang it! I can't believe that coupon code expired, they just sent it to me last week:(
Well yesterday morning I set my hair with hot sticks, I got a great curl out of them, but was concerned they wouldn't last. So last night I sprayed my dry hair with a light mist of setting lotion and set my hair in the foam sticks. I've got this down now, and it really only takes about 10 minutes to set my whole head. It might take less time but I was using the end papers for my ends, and due to poor dexterity this kind of takes a bit of extra time. Anyway, I woke up this morning and had some serious curls, super tight. I brushed them out and in the beginning it was kind of poofy, but after a few hours, some gel and some citreshine, I had a nice head of wavy curls. They're still going strong now. I don't have the energy to put the foam sticks back in tonight, so I'm just gonna sleep on them and see what happens in the morning. But, I'm very happy with the results. I just have always had frizz problems, so I had to spritz the anti frizz solution periodically through the day to keep it under control. I shall see what it looks like tomorrow. I'll probably have to freshen the curls up with the hot sticks, but that's easy enough.:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok, I'm going to be brave!

And show you what I did with my hair the rest of this week after the cherry ensemble...
Here's Wednesday's do;
My rolls turned out really big, but I'm going for something between this and JBD's tripple rolls~
ladywithflower.jpg

I hadn't put my anti-frizz serum on yet (and it shows!)
Copyofnovabday100.jpg
Copyofnovabday1012.jpg

Then on Thursday I just threw the back up in curls. I didn't notice Katie cat down there in the corner with me until I was loading this pic to Photobucket and I just CRACKED up!!! LOL! Splept in my rolls and they're on their last leg but I was running late. You can see how I tilted the middle roll a bit.
Copyofnovabday108.jpg

Copyofnovabday109.jpg

Then Friday~ I can't believe I went this long!! I was so busy this week tho and had no time for my hair. Still had some curl left from Monday night's wet set and it didn't look greasy. So, up in a jaw clip it went. Poor Nova ended up being sick on his birthday (I was up till 3:30am with him the night before, another reason for jaw clip!) and does not look like himself here at all. As bad as he looked, he played all day! Oh, and excuse my non-vintage attired self. I'm sporting my Walmart civilian clothes, ha!
Nikki
novabday2036.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Daisy!
Yes, he's getting better. Took a three hour nap today!
Glad to hear the foam and hot sticks are working well for you! Thanks to all the great tips on this board, I think we're all getting this hair thing down pat!! :eusa_clap
Nikki

pretty faythe

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Thank you Daisy!
Yes, he's getting better. Took a three hour nap today!
Glad to hear the foam and hot sticks are working well for you! Thanks to all the great tips on this board, I think we're all getting this hair thing down pat!! :eusa_clap
Nikki

Was that 3 hr nap you or your son? lol
I used pillow curlers last night, I need new ones, had 'em for years. (just never new the name). Never got around to taking a pic, just twisted one side up and left the curls down. Will see what they look like tomorrow since I can't reroll them, they are in a childs head at the moment.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Wow, Nikki, I'm amazed at how many days you got out of one wet set! And so many cute styles too!

How perfect that you just put that up, as I was just about to ask you all if you have any tips for getting the most out of one set, especially when it comes to sleeping on it.

I'm lucky if I can coax three days out of one set, but mostly I just settle for two. I've been able to defend my locks during the day, but everything gets ruined when I go to bed-- I try repinning up whatever curls I can, covering my head with scarves, different pillows... but I toss and turn so much that it wreaks havoc on my hairstyle. Any tips and tricks? Thanks!:)

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
Wave Clamps - I'm so intrigued!!!!!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise me...

I've seen pics of girls who have used wave clamps to do their hair. I get the general idea of how to use them but I have a few questions...

I have quite thick, jaw length hair - how many clips do you think I would need to buy? They seem to come in different lengths as well. Would it be best to buy all the same sized clips or a pack or two smaller ones for the front say and then some larger ones for the back?

Also how long would I need to leave them in for to set? Would they work if I put a hair dryer on them at a low setting?

I think I'd have to buy them off e-bay, I've never seen heard of them before, and I really want to have a go!

Cheers,
Vanessa

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
RaasAlHayya said:
Nikki, your hair is so beautiful. What kind of anti-frizz serum do you use? Is that what gives it such wonderful shine?

--Leslie

Thank you Leslie! There are a few that I use, depends on the weather. If it's full of static, I like Redkens Outshine. It's a cream in a pump. Every once in a while I use Biosilk Silk Therapy, but only a drop and not every day. Pure protein can damage the hair if used too often.
A good spray on for after your do is finished, esp. updos, is Redken's Vinyl Glam.
And lastly, I just tried a new one the other day and I think I'm in love! I ordered me some! Didn't seem to weight my hair down or flatten my curls. It's Called White Tea Magical Serum by Scruples.
http://www.haircarechoices.com/item_White+Tea+Magical+Serum_9984.html

Vanessa, the number and length of clips would depend on the style you want and how big around your head is. If you have a Sally Beauty Supply near you they should have them. I would say 6-8 for a full head above the ears, if you're going to curl the rest below. You may want one more row of them aound the back of your head. Should look darling with your cut!
You'll have to practice with them, but as long as your hair is dry before you take them out you should be good to go, via natural air dry or hairdryer.
I haven't fooled with them in years but off the top of my head I'm thinking I'd want to use as many of the larger ones as I could as to not have so many "lines" between each clip, does that make sense? But if the larger ones you're getting don't have too much curve to them to shape to your head, then the smaller ones might be best.

Nikki

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Vanessa Anne said:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise me...

I've seen pics of girls who have used wave clamps to do their hair. I get the general idea of how to use them but I have a few questions...

I have quite thick, jaw length hair - how many clips do you think I would need to buy? They seem to come in different lengths as well. Would it be best to buy all the same sized clips or a pack or two smaller ones for the front say and then some larger ones for the back?

Also how long would I need to leave them in for to set? Would they work if I put a hair dryer on them at a low setting?

I think I'd have to buy them off e-bay, I've never seen heard of them before, and I really want to have a go!

Cheers,
Vanessa

Sally's has them. And I leave mine in overnight. If you look back a few pages there's some more info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82