Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Kimberly

Practically Family
Thanks for the complement Bonnie.

Yes I sleep with the sponge rollers. I have attempted to use more hair but the rollers are way too small. My problem is that the sponge rollers I bought were the only size they had. Does anyone know if they sell larger sponge rollers or just one size?

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Very Cute 'do Kim!:)

Sponge rollers come in sizes from exta small to extra large. Usually they are color coded.

The direction you roll has alot to do with what the curl will look like too. You can keep the rollers in your hair instead of on your pillow :) overnight if you put a wave net over them or tie a scarf around your head.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Thanks RetroMom, I will look for bigger rollers and a wave net. When I woke up this morning I had actually lost the rollers in the back and I still can't find them. :eek:

I think I will experiment with roller direction this weekend when I don't have to go out in public if I mess it up. ;)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kimberly said:
Thanks for the complement Bonnie.

Yes I sleep with the sponge rollers. I have attempted to use more hair but the rollers are way too small. My problem is that the sponge rollers I bought were the only size they had. Does anyone know if they sell larger sponge rollers or just one size?

CVS, Walgreens and Brooks all sell sponge rollers in a multitude of sizes. They sell individual packs as well as zippered pouches with a variety of sizes. Mine are made by Goody, but I think Scunci also makes them too.

lindylady

A-List Customer
When you buy sponge rollers, make sure you get them in more than one size. I find that my hair holds curl better in the front than in the back. So I use smaller rollers in the back to make the curl tighter.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I am really pleased with how this updo turned out:

47b7da22b3127cce8319c942f68f00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

47b7da22b3127cce8319c93777ca00000015108AatmbRq2ctP

As for Hot Sticks, I have used both brands and find they work equally well, with no difference in sets.

And I prefer small sponge rollers--I actually use all one size, and simply take smaller sections/use more rollers for the harder to curl sections.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
JBD, I'm so glad you posted the cute pic with the cherries in your hair! I had bought some a few weeks ago to go with a cherry print dress I have.. but was leary of putting them in. Now I cannot wait!!!
Of course, I think since you're blond it still looks waaaay better in your hair!

Nikki

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Oh Jitterbug, if someday I can learn to style my hair even half as perfect as yours, I think I would be the happiest person alive! :) It looks perfectly precious! :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lindylady said:
When you buy sponge rollers, make sure you get them in more than one size. I find that my hair holds curl better in the front than in the back. So I use smaller rollers in the back to make the curl tighter.

I do the same, use smaller curlers for the shorter underneath areas that are harder to curl. But for the most part I use all one size. I used to use the green medium sized (or blue depending on the brand), but I switched to the larger pink ones so I could use bigger sections of hair.
Goody also makes a satin covered sponge/foam curler. Supposedly they make your hair less frizzy and prevent your ends from kinking or getting tangled. I didn't like them, they were too slippery and my ends were still kinky. I've been using end papers (JBD, the rolling papers were just too expensive and not big enough;) ) to prevent this, and they work wonders. No more kinks or frizzy ends.
I got a really nice curl from my Sassy Curlers, the ones that are similar to the foam sticks, kind of like a non-heated hotstick, that JBD recommended, and they are so much more comfortable to sleep in. They also seem to allow for different styles of curls, and they are, at least for me, much easier to put in than the sponge curlers. Here's what they look like:
tri-sassy.jpg

And here is the link to the makers website. It seems that they also have some other hair info that could be useful, as well as directions on how to use their curlers:)

JBD, you're hair came out great. You know, that up-do would go great with a vintage wedding dress! I might just try to copy that style from you, I love up-do's, especially in the summer. I usually tend to do a French twist or knot and add a butterfly or flower. It'll be nice to have some variation in style, that is if I can do it. But, I do have rolls down pretty good now. I've graduated from using the hot curling iron to make the rolls to being able to do them by hand with the help of teasing and some hairspray. I used to have to use a ton of pins to hold them together too, but now I'm able to use 2, sometime 3 if I do a bigger roll. My only problem is making sure that they are tight to the head and not sticking out like two horns. The furry character from Spaceballs comes to mind:eek:. But, I'm doing them at more of an angle and wrapping them a bit tighter, and using less hair so they aren't too puffy. Big hair just never suited my face. I just wish that my hair had a bit more body to it when I wear it straight. It looks so limp and dead, even though I'm using moisturizing shampoo and hot oil treatments. I want the shiny bouncy hair of my youth back! Where did it go?? Could someone please locate it for me:(

BonnieJean

Practically Family
For you ladies that are experienced and comfortable doing your own vintage hairstyles (like JBD), how long or how much practice will it take for the rest of us to graduate from "curling class"?

I know this isn't exactly what this thread is about, but I'm curious how long some of you have been doing your hair in vintage. I'd like to eventually be competent in doing my hair in 1930s and 1940s hairstyles. I wish I enjoyed the vintage lifestyle back in my 20s, because I would know how to style my hair properly by now. Well, better late than never!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Daisy! The style is actually quite easy to do; the front is styled in triple rolls, and the back is a French twist with the ends left out and pinned into place. It held well for two days, and is a great way to create a new look after a wearing your hair for a day or two with the front rolled and back left down. I am glad the foam stick rollers work well for you; they are so easy to use and are great for traveling too. :)

BonnieJean, I would say that it took me about two months of styling my hair every day to really master the techniques of setting and rolling my hair. It didn't take too long to get the basic look down, but it took a bit of experimenting to learn what methods worked best for my hair texture, and how to keep the hair looking nice and neat (my first attempts at rolls turned out as Daisy described, sticking out somewhat awkwardly from my head. lol) After I learned the basics, I moved on to studying photographs for ideas, and working at creating the different (and more elaborate) styles that I came across.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Today I purchased a triple barrel curling iron, I could'nt wait to try it out but I ended up with crimped frizz, My hair is sitting on my shoulders and is highly bleached, white, although not overly dry. I thought the problem may be the sections of hair were to small. Any thoughts.....................

BonnieJean

Practically Family
goldwyn girl,
My hair is colored so I have to be careful too or else I get frizz. Make sure you use a good conditioner and I always put some leave-in conditioner on after that (especially at the ends) and then spray it with Lottabody while its still damp. You'll have to experiment with the triple barrel and see what works best with your hair. I would suggest, though, not to leave it on your hair too long, so it doesn't frizz or fry it. When I'm trying for a more wavy look, I'll start at the top and clamp a section on one side and then I'll go on the other side of my head and do a section there. After that, I'll go back to the first section (it should be cooler by then) and then I try to line up the last wave on the hair with the first barrel of the iron. That way you have a continuous up and down wave. Some days I prefer just one wave and other days I'll work the iron down the length of the hair. I set the iron at high, but don't keep it on the hair more than 5 seconds. I know I got frustrated with the triple barrel at first, but with a little practice, I got better at it. A barber friend suggested I use the triple barrel to get a 30s look. I'd really like to learn how to do my own marcel wave and use the metal wave clips.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Sorry this is long, prorgression pics!

I slept in pillow rollers last night and thought I'd share. I also used Aussie Hair Insurance as a setting lotion, only because I let my hair get too dry before setting. It worked really nice!

Ignore my bathroom pics, it's getting completely gutted soon and I have paint swatches everywhere! We only use this br at night, lol!

Taking out the curlers: (oh, I had a large foam roller in the bang, I didn't want that as tight) I think I used about 12 of them.
HPIM0304.jpg

Rollers removed,
HPIM0306.jpg

combed out and accessorized, (used a paddle brush)
HPIM0314.jpg

got the cherries at Hobby Lobby for 50 cents, but they had no leaves so I stole some from my silk roses!

cheesy self portrait,
HPIM0319.jpg

And finally, after working all day and getting caught in rain storm!
HPIM0327.jpg

Nikki

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Bwhahaha I love the heart!!! :eusa_clap Looks very good. May I make one little tiny suggestion? :eek: When you take the curlers out, instead of pulling them out, which gives the Shirley Temple curl at first, unwrap the roller from the same path you rolled it in, careful not to twist. This should allow your curls to curl up more freely without pulling together to reform the ST curl. :)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Nikki,
Your hair is really cute! Just darling! (and I love your outfit too!)
You mentioned that you "combed" out your hair.
So, you're not brushing the curls out at all?
I hate to be a pest, but exactly what do you do to your hair after you take the curlers out? Just comb and style the top part?
I've got a soft bristle brush that I use, but maybe I'm brushing my curls too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82