Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Snookie

Practically Family
You look DARLING, BonnieJean! Hurrah for you, getting down a 1930's hairstyle that you can do yourself and wear daily! And it looks so natural on you - so classic! I bet lots of women look at you and don't even realize it's a vintage look -- they're too busy wishing they could look like that! :eusa_clap

I hate to ask, but I'd love to see a side view. I'd like to see the triple-barrel wave.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
OK, Snookie,
Here's a side view. Granted, I've been out in the wind and I was running late getting ready for church this a.m. and couldn't spend as much time on my hair as I would have liked.

sue_s_hairdo_3.JPG

This is my everyday hairstyle, but when I've got the time to do my hair, I'll spray a little Lottabody on a section that I'm going to use the triple barrel curling iron on and try to make all the waves line up better. A friend of mine who's been through beauty school gave me a textbook and there's a section in it on how to do marcel waves and stuff. I'm still trying to figure it all out, but if I master it, I'll be sure to put up photos. I think I'm getting closer to a more 30s hairstyle. Its been fun practicing!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Emblaze, extremely clever on the hairline teasing tip!! Atta girl!

Bonnie Jean your hair looks terrific, esp. for being out in the wind. I may have to pick up a tripple barrel...You have beautiful shiney hair!

Nikki

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Perm question

I permed my hair for my wedding, as I wanted a vintagy look, and my hairdresser reccomended perm as she said it would help the wet set to last in my super fine, limp hair. She was right, and I like having permanent curls!

But, my hair is very long, and I wanted to wear it loose, (as my man loves it,) so the style we ended up with was more vintage inspired than real,curly vintage.

My question is: If i cut my hair as it should be done for the 40s set I want, and then let the hairdresser set it correctly vintage, but as a perm, what will happen? Will I have my favourit 40s set ready every morning, just needing a brush trough? I guess that this depends on the styles, and some "parts" of my hairstyle might need a blow drying and brushing, but will it basicly work? I already know that my hair takes to sets more easily permed, so i assume that changing hairstyle with normal wet set will be just as easy with a "permanet set" as a base as it is now.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Pidgeon Toe... Have you tried using smaller sponge rollers to get a tighter curl and then brush it out?

Canada Doll... Try precurling your roll with hairspray and a curling iron. I don't know if this will work exactly or not, because to tell you the truth, my hair is super thick and will stand up on its own. There are times when I want my rolls flatter or smaller, but it's just not going to happen.

Kimberly... Thank you. :) My hair does take well to curl, if I am in a dry climate. I like to say my hair is 75% cotton candy and 25% pipecleaner. lol The slightest amount of wetness in the air will cause my hair to droop. When you put your rollers in, try to just curl thehairline, leaving the back out of the rollers and curl only up to the nape of the neck. That *may* help you achieve a more 40's look. I am just guessing anyway since I don't know your lenth and cut.

Pink Dahlia... I can tell you why, because I have photoshop. ;)

Ohairas... Hahaha I used the pink, grey, and white ones in the past... that is hardcore tight! I am actually thinking about trying the rollers just one size smaller to get a bit more fluff/poof in my curls. My hair is getting super long so I think I need the curls to be a bit tighter to hold up against the weight of my hair! My ex-husband used to tell me... want to lose 10 lbs, cut your hair! :) Thank you very much. :) It actually isn't that bad I use the rods as pillow support for my neck. :)

Emblaze... Hahah Thanks. These two photos are me with faux bangs:
IMG_1034editedg.jpg
(bigger ones)
IM000684d.jpg
(smaller ones)

Bonnie Jean... Beautiful hair! May I suggest trying for bigger curls. :)

Pretty Faythe... Wonderful swoop into a roll.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Helen Troy said:
I permed my hair for my wedding, as I wanted a vintagy look, and my hairdresser reccomended perm as she said it would help the wet set to last in my super fine, limp hair. She was right, and I like having permanent curls!

But, my hair is very long, and I wanted to wear it loose, (as my man loves it,) so the style we ended up with was more vintage inspired than real,curly vintage.

My question is: If i cut my hair as it should be done for the 40s set I want, and then let the hairdresser set it correctly vintage, but as a perm, what will happen? Will I have my favourit 40s set ready every morning, just needing a brush trough? I guess that this depends on the styles, and some "parts" of my hairstyle might need a blow drying and brushing, but will it basicly work? I already know that my hair takes to sets more easily permed, so i assume that changing hairstyle with normal wet set will be just as easy with a "permanet set" as a base as it is now.

Helen, I was wondering the exact same thing today! Ladies, do any of you have input on this?

--Leslie

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Sounds like we should trade a little of our hair's individual properties Lolita, the maybe we could both get our desired looks!lol lol

Thanks for the suggestion.:)

Kimberly

Practically Family
OK, I am being brave tonight ladies. I washed my hair and then put my hair in rollers. Sheesh, it was tougher this time around for some reason, but in the end I did a better job. I actually did a side part which is my natural part anyhow and I curled everything under except for the sides near my cheekbones which I curled near my face.

I tried to secure this honkin wet set with a turban but the turban was too small. In a panic I reached for my honkin shower cap which I made smaller by securing the top with an elastic and I look like rather odd. What is even scarier is the kids have not commented on it as of yet which means either they don't see it or they are getting used to my sudden craziness and no longer bother to ask questions. To make the look even more dramatic the elastic around my hairline and ears was so uncomfortable that I added some padded toilet paper all around there to give me some padding. lol

Anyhow, I have to work tomorrow and am going to comb it out then. I just pray that it comes out ok because Mondays are tough for me and I have a tendency to oversleep which will be very bad tomorrow because if I come out looking like Little Orphan Annie, I may not have time to rewet it and blow it out. :p

Kimberly

Practically Family
OK, I am off to bed with my rollers and bathing cap that is too big for my and stuffed with toilet papers. My youngest told me I looked like a fortune teller. :eek:

Anyhow, I am sleeping on the couch tonight so I can't move around as much and just took 3 Tylenol PM's to ensure a good nights sleep despite the discomfort. :p

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
ROFL! Oh Kimberly, 3 Tpms.. hahaha... hope the hair turns out for you!

Helen, I'm not sure if I follow you right. Do you mean set your hair on regular rollers, not perm rods, and apply perm solution? If so, then no.. it will not "perm" like a "set". Depending on how well your hair perms, you might get lucky and get close, but it will depend on which rods your hairdresser uses and the length of your hair.

For instance, if you set your hair on rollers the size of hot rollers, odds are your perm would turn out looking like you slept in braids. Not big, bouncy curls.

Either way, a perm does help get the look, even if you just have to touch it up a bit as you said. Definitely keeps it nice and full.

Nikki

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's also my understanding that ladies who had perms in the Golden Era still set their hair.
I've contemplated getting a perm too. It would be nice to not have to do so much work to get my hair curly. It will especially make things easier on the joints in my hands, having rheumatoid arthritis kind of inhibits my ability to put curlers in. It would be great to not have to put any curlers in, but my stylist did tell me that even with a perm, for the sets that I'd like to get, I'd still have to set my hair, or at least use hot curlers to liven it up a bit. I'm also concerned because I would like to have looser curls. My hair actually takes to perms quite well, and the last one I had I ended up with really tight curls. The way I see it is, if I'm gonna have to set my hair anyway, I might as well get a looser curl or permanent wave, and on the days when I want something tighter I can do a wet set. I was just thinking that a perm would help my sets last longer too. No matter how curly my hair is on the first day, even with barely diluted setting lotion, by the second day my hair is straight again.
Sad thing is, when I was younger I had great curls, long ringlets. I used to complain about it all the time, and spent way too much time trying to straighten it. I was going for that Brenda from 90210 look:eek: But the medication I'm on made a lot of my hair fall out, and straightened it. What I wouldn't do to have those curls back!

Lolita, your curls are magnificent. Your hair is so thick, yet your curls are still in control. My hair is thin but I actually have a good amount of it (even with the hair loss, I used to have my hair thinned it was so thick) and when I do a set if I'm not careful and take too small sections or wrap too tight I end up looking like a mop head. Out of control curls springing everywhere, it's horrible. I believe Hemingway Jones referred to the look as "psycho Rageddy Anne on crack":eek: Not my greatest look:(

pigeon toe

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
Pidgeon Toe... Have you tried using smaller sponge rollers to get a tighter curl and then brush it out?

Yes, I have but when I brush it out it tends to go POOF! If I use a bit of de-frizzing stuff it calms down to nice soft waves, but it disappears even faster if I do that. I might try pincurls this week, maybe that will last longer? I think I also need to try a different setting lotion because Lottabody doesn't seem to be doing it's job very well for me!

Daisy Buchanan

pigeon toe said:
Yes, I have but when I brush it out it tends to go POOF! If I use a bit of de-frizzing stuff it calms down to nice soft waves, but it disappears even faster if I do that. I might try pincurls this week, maybe that will last longer? I think I also need to try a different setting lotion because Lottabody doesn't seem to be doing it's job very well for me!

I have the exact same problem. At first I have these great bouncy curls that seem like they should last forever. But if I don't spray the heck out of it with super hold hair spray, it will be stick straight by the next morning, sometimes by that same day's evening.
I've been using Queen Helene setting lotion. The purple kind, it's extra moisturizing. They sell it at Sally in pretty big bottle for about $3.29. I haven't used Lottabody. When I went to Sally to buy it they were sold out, and I had to get something, so I got this Queen Helene stuff. So, I don't really know how it is in comparison to Lottabody. When I first used it, I diluted it in accordance with the directions, but I didn't get the greatest hold. Now, after years of trial and error, I use 4 parts lotion to 1 part water in a spray bottle. I drench my hair with the stuff, probably use too much, for I've been ending up with kind of crunchy hair:eek:. But, and this took me a lot of tries to figure out, if you just dampen your hair with a highly concentrated mixture, you should get a long lasting set out of it. I've also started using a curl enhancing mousse that I brush through my hair before adding the setting lotion. This seems to give me even longer lasting curls. So, try either curl enhancing mousse or curl enhancing gel. Last week I did a set using the mousse, the queen helene, and then after my hair was in the curlers I sprayed it with Laminates Hairspray by Sebastian. When I first took the curlers out the next morning my curls were really tight and a bit crunchy. But I gently brushed them out with my fingers, and they softened right up. I then added CitreShine spray and my hair became softer and nice and shiny. Once my hair was at the desired style I gave another spray of high hold hair spray just to keep it in place. I held the bottle pretty far away from my head, and this seemed to lessen the crunchiness. Also, and I'm sure you know this, but I actually hadn't been doing this up until about 6 months ago, make sure when you add your finishing products, like shine serums or hair spray, that you get underneath your hair as well as the outside. I was just adding finishing sprays to the outside, and couldn't figure out why my hair was flopping so much. Well, obviously I was only getting necessary hold on part of my do. I finally figured out that, especially for volume, I had to spray underneath and all around. Golly, aren't I a genius! My lack of common sense amazes me sometime!:eek:
Well, I do hope you find some of this incredibly long tangent useful.:D Again, it seems like you and I have similar hair problems. I have tried a lot of different combinations, and these seem to be the best when it comes to making sure my set lasts for at least 2 full days. I'm hoping that maybe with a little more tweaking of the routine I can make it to three. If I figure it out, I'll be sure to let you know.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
You're always so helpful Daisy, I really appreciate it! And duh, why didn't I think of spray under my hair either!? Logic escapes me sometime!

Never made it to the beauty supply today (laziness took over), but I'll probably go sometime this week to get some more stuff to play around with. My poor boyfriend works at Nordstrom's Rack and I'm always calling him and up and asking him to buy oodles of hair products for me. Poor guy must look silly buying all this girly hair stuff, especially since he just shaved his own head bald!

But the 20% discount is worth his pain! To me anyway! :)

Daisy Buchanan

pigeon toe said:
You're always so helpful Daisy, I really appreciate it! And duh, why didn't I think of spray under my hair either!? Logic escapes me sometime!

Never made it to the beauty supply today (laziness took over), but I'll probably go sometime this week to get some more stuff to play around with. My poor boyfriend works at Nordstrom's Rack and I'm always calling him and up and asking him to buy oodles of hair products for me. Poor guy must look silly buying all this girly hair stuff, especially since he just shaved his own head bald!

But the 20% discount is worth his pain! To me anyway! :)

Thank you:D and your welcome!
I'd take a 20% discount any day too. Besides, he should be happy that you're being thrifty!!! It's not like you're asking him to bring you home designer handbags. Hmmm, can he get designer handbags??:D

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
ohairas said:
Helen, I'm not sure if I follow you right. Do you mean set your hair on regular rollers, not perm rods, and apply perm solution? If so, then no.. it will not "perm" like a "set". Depending on how well your hair perms, you might get lucky and get close, but it will depend on which rods your hairdresser uses and the length of your hair.Nikki
I'm not sure what I mean either, I just thought something like: If I it can be done with setting lotion, maybe the same thing can be done as a perm, only lasting forever!"

I understand that it won't be the same thing, et least not the part of a hairstyle that needs to be teased or blow dried into shape. but starting with a head full of nice curls, placed where I want them to be, will be easier, right?

I think I will give it a try. But first thing first, I need a haircut. Layers around the face is the clue, right? My hair is 2-3" below my shoulderblades. Seeing the wonderfull styles Lolita is able to create with looong hair, makes me think I dont have to chop of too much, only put in layers? Am I right? I want my hair to be just as yours, Lolita! (Only brown, so no competition there;))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe