Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Badmamajama:

These are the wave clips.

292513.jpg

What I do for waves is apply setting lotion (also at Sally's) to wet hair. Put in the clips and go to bed. I'm sure you can leave them in until your hair dries if you didn't want to sleep in them as they aren't comfortable. I've never tried them that way as my hair doesn't like to do much but be straight.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Pink, It may be hard to explain in writing but how do you put the clips in? Do you just put them under your hair? Thanks for the information, I am so happy I got some and can't wait to try them. :D

Kimberly

Practically Family
Okay, the foam rollers seem to work much better than pin curls, rag curls or perm rods on my hair, the only problem is that I have too much curl.

Do you all use selective curls or do you curl your whole head.

Here is the finished product with the foam rollers.

PicWithCurls.jpg

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Time to change the avatar, Kimberly!

Pics:

21026784_l.jpg

21026772_l.jpg

Take into consideration my hair is dry. I usually do a dramatic side part for a genuine 20s look. Make sure you push enough hair up into the clips (I use three) if you want your waves to look good. :)

I hope this helps!

Kimberly

Practically Family
LOL Pink, I just changed it. I can use it as my curl barometer to gage my progress. ;). I think I need bigger rollers. LOL, I am going to spend over $100 at Sallys by the time i'm done sigh.

Thanks for the pics. I will try those tomorrow. I have naturally wavy hair so I think my hair may behave more tame with those than with curlers.

I typically wear rolls in the front with the rest of my hair curled or in a snood or scarf. But recently I chopped off a few inches and went for pin curls all over and i like this way too:

FeelingBlue2.jpg

It sure is easy to deal with all curly!

Oh - on a side note about keeping hats on, some of the vintage hats I own have little hair combs sewn into them with an elastic loop - you could easily do this on your own to help keep them in place. And of course hat pins are helpful too!

Snookie

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
21026784_l.jpg

21026772_l.jpg

Take into consideration my hair is dry. I usually do a dramatic side part for a genuine 20s look. Make sure you push enough hair up into the clips (I use three) if you want your waves to look good. :)

I hope this helps!

When you did your hair for your 1920's event (a picnic?) did you push the hair forward and back as you inserted the clips? (Sorry, I know that doesn't make sense.) When I had my hair fingerwaved last year, she formed them by pushing my hair, but your hair looked good -- I'm wondering if with the clips it's possible to skip that step!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
No I just used the clips to pull up my hair and form little mounds. (Does that make sense?) I think that's the purpose of the clips to avoid having to make the actual wave motion with your fingers. I find the clips to be much easier and couldn't do the traditional waves to save my life!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
What if y'all try using the wave clips in a "brick layered" staggered arrangement? Like, put the top one in and scoot the hair out towards your forhead more, then the next one towards the back of the head a bit, then the next one towards your face again. Make sense? I'll have to dig for mine and try it.

I *really* suggest everyone try to get the cosmetology book I had posted in another thread. It tells you why and how. Many things will determine a set/good comb out.

I can't help but laugh at the perm rods.. shoulda asked me first, hehehe! I did that when I was about 13, oh.. it was awful!!

Nikki

Kimberly

Practically Family
Oharias, I was able to get that info you posted earlier this week and am so grateful. It actually helped me to do my curlers today.

I wasn't planning on doing perm rods I swear. I was desperate at the time because my pin curls were a disaster due to the fact that I bought large pins that couldn't hold the hurt. They came in handy today because it helped to hole my curlers in. ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Kimberly I think your set looks great! I don't think it's too tight. You're such a cutie.. those dimples!!

About pin curls or sets coming out too tight.. remember that everyone brushed thru their sets after taking the rollers out, there wasn't much "finger styling" or loose, spirally curls back then.

Mine is super tight after taking out the sponge rollers. I brush it the first day once, but tend to leave it alone so it will last longer later! I can get 3-4 days out of a set.

Another tip is to be sure you're rolling the same amount of hair on each roller, and don't twist or spiral the hair onto the roller. The ends should always be wound smoothly onto the roller first. As you're rolling the hair up, rock the roller back and forth *ever so slightly*, this will help it roll evenly and without TOO much tension. Again, perm papers help with this!

Nikki

Miss_Bri

New in Town
I have long hair. Very long hair. Tailbone length hair. And I know this is maybe vintage 1870, but certainly not 1930. At the very least, I do occasionally try to curl it for very special occasions. I doubt pincurls would ever work right, as I just have too much hair but I have three different sizes of foam rollers (small, medium, and large) that I use to curl my hair. Sleeping on them is a nightmare, and when they come out, the curls are every which way and so haphazard.

My question is: does anyone know if I should use the rollers in a very defined and sectioned pattern (like rows) for a better effect, or would it turn my hair into one giant curl? Should I use the large curlers on the underside of my hair and the small curlers at the crown, or vice-versa?

I'd just play and experiment, except that curling my hair is a four-hour endeavor - not including the 12 hours I have to spend in them curlers after I get them in! *lol*

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
With hair that long Miss Bri, it will amost always turn out more spirally, esp. depending on what type of hair you have.
Here's a pic of mine set on sponge rollers when my hair was almost waist lenth. I did the larger on bottom, then medium, then small on top. But I could've just used the same all over of whichever I chose. This was like day 2 if I remember right. I didn't brush it tho, I wanted a more spirally do.
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343355034/photo/294928803643075566/7

Yes, we should always try to section our hair in even parts or rows for a better set.

It depends on the look you're going for.. you could try this.. putting your hair in ponytails all over and then rolling the sections down with either the sponge rollers or hot rollers. You'd need at least two sets of hot rollers, lol!

The long hot stick type rollers would be great for you as well, but again, will be more spirally.

Actually, standup pincurls and barrel curls would be best as a wet set, but you may want to go to a hair school and have them done.. sit under the dryer. It would be worth it for a special occasion. Without any rollers in the centers it would dry much quicker.

Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Just remembered another technique for curling extra long hair.. mainly used for perming, but no reason you couldn't try it with rollers! It's called piggy-backing.

Take the strand of hair and wind it around a roller starting about half way up the strand, leaving second half(the end) out. Secure roller, sponge ones might be best for this. Wind remaining length of hair around another roller.
This will get more curl/wave near the scalp. Rollers will sit on top of each other.

Nikki

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Miss Bri, another thing you might try for a vintage look is making fingerwaves on the top half of your head then collecting the rest into a bun, roll, or mass of curls at the base of your neck, or a snood.

Just an idea I had.

--Leslie

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Snookie... Just note that wearing hats with those grippers at a tilt is incorrect. I just use them to my advantage. I wouldn't wear the pink hat at a tilt because it is too big, but since the black hat is round and smaller, I think it makes an ok saucer hat. :)

Kimberly... Yes, they are made to hold the hat (gently) to the head when worn properly. When I wear them on a tilt, it is incorrect... I just take advantage of those holds being there and push a bobbypin through for extra security. :) Also, what styles are you looking to achieve with your hair? Depending on if you are looking for a 30's, 40's, or 50's look, it will determine what, where, and how to place your hair, no matter what technique you use. From what I can tell in your new avatar, it looks like you have a fine 50's style happening.

ohairas... Thank you!! You are too sweet!!!

Pink Dahlia... Thanks! The grippers aren't made to elevate the hat into a tilt, I just like to adapt the hat to my style. :) When worn correctly the grippers should be hugging your head.

Hamilton Honey... GREAT HAIR!!!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Perming Rods

I wear these hard plastic rollers in my hair all day and then sleep in them to achieve these styles.
IM000710b.jpg
3123.jpg
003hairb01.jpg
(day one)
003hairc04.jpg
(day two -- brushed out - no reset)
085DSCF0644b.jpg
(in only over night)
LolitaHair001.jpg
(in one whole day and then slept in, taken out next morning)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe