Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

kerry

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
Ladies, I am so impressed by the things you area all making and my inability to find vintage/repros that I like - I am taking the plunge thanks to your inspiration. I haven't sewn in about 5 years, though I taught sewing for a long time and it's like riding a bike, haha.

I think I will start with the Sense and Sensibility Swing dress pattern, has anyone made this?

I've made a couple and I am making one now. Its a great dress, very flattering shape.:)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
TLQ!

goldwyn girl said:
I made the top from this pattern. I really need to make the matching skirt but I just haven't had the time right now.
100_0517.jpg

RetroSimplicity9978.jpg
GG, please do post a pic when it is all done - Theresa is an old and dear friend of mine, and I always send her the pics of people in her designs that I find online! That looks great, can't wait to see the whole shebang!

And those TLQ patterns are hard to find, hold onto it!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
GG-I just love that top! I made the top and skirt back in 2001 out of this awful slippery rayon, but it looks nice on me, strangely enough. I love that pattern, and I want to make it again, out of different fabric. I recently saw that exact pattern on eBay for $35! I'm very glad I bought it new!!! I want to make the nurse dress sometime, but make it look like a regular dress.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Oooo, Sara, my Mum made me a Hawaiin outfit for a dance (Bless her, made in NZ on the dressmakers dummy and sent to me in the UK) It came out great.

Sadly I'm not sure whether I have a picture wearing it or I would post it for you to show Teresa too!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
For some reason, this dress doesn't strike me as very vintage looking. I should have taken close-ups of the fabric, it's very cute. It has little teal dots that have an outer ring of purple. The piping matches the purple. This was my first time adding this kind of pocket. While I like that it makes for a smoother hip, I think it makes the dress look more casual. If I do this kind of pocket again, I'd make them higher.
2745612378_63a6db8f09.jpg

2744775209_8e9f37e519.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
kamikat said:
For some reason, this dress doesn't strike me as very vintage looking. I should have taken close-ups of the fabric, it's very cute. It has little teal dots that have an outer ring of purple. The piping matches the purple. This was my first time adding this kind of pocket. While I like that it makes for a smoother hip, I think it makes the dress look more casual. If I do this kind of pocket again, I'd make them higher.

I like the dress, especially the waist. You look great in it! :) What pattern is it, and it is available somewhere? :D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:
I like the dress, especially the waist. You look great in it! :) What pattern is it, and it is available somewhere? :D

It's Ann Adams 4972. I found it on eBay. I might be willing to copy it for you. Do you have any pretty patterns that you could copy for me in exchance ;) Would you want the bolero, too? I haven't made that yet.

Josephine

One Too Many
kamikat said:
It's Ann Adams 4972. I found it on eBay. I might be willing to copy it for you. Do you have any pretty patterns that you could copy for me in exchance ;) Would you want the bolero, too? I haven't made that yet.

Alas, I have no pretty patterns, none that you can't already get at Joanne's. :( Well, I do have the one I got recently, HoneyDoll, McCall's 7625. I'll get back to you if I ever find the time to start sewing again!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
RedHotRidinHood said:
I worship the ground that Alexander Henry walks on. I LOVE his designs!!!!

Have you been to this site? Super Fantastic Site of Alexander Henry Goodies

My newest AH fabric is "los novios". I'm going to make a half-circle skirt (aka 2 yards instead of 4) with it. It's almost fluorescent in color, it's so bright! Not sure about the trim, but it might *need* to be some sort of brightly colored pom-poms. I'll have to get inspiration for it at the fabric store.

losnoviosfabric.jpg

I also made a full circle skirt with "lady yang", and did a 1 1/2" ric-rac around the bottom in metallic gold. Sewed it in gold thread, too. (That was a beast!)

ladyyang.jpg
ladyyang2.jpg
ladyyang3.jpg

If you've not see the "lady yang" in person, all of the starbursts are in gold. All of the stylized stars are in gold. The bamboo and curley-qs are outlined in gold. It's very shiny!

I also bedazzled red stones in the middle of the gigantic gold starbursts (as there was a red bit of color in the design already), and it really pops.

I like to make myself crazy themed skirts. I don't post a lot of them here because to me it's very simple - two pieces of fabric, and minimal sewing. It doesn't really compare with all of the complex patterns the other ladies make. But the creativity (and humor) I put into my skirts make me happy. I'm kinda famous here for them - friends wanting to borrow or steal the new skirts I make, or have me make skirts for them as well. I've started making them for my friend Sweetpea. She thinks they're super cute. In fact, here's one I made for her for Viva this year. Leopard print with fringe at the bottom.

sweetpealeopardskirt.jpg

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Babydoll, those curtians are so cute. I need to make more for a wall of windows so I can count on your help right lol

Miss 1929, thank you. Alas I don't think I have enough of the same fabric for a skirt so I'll be doing a whole new set.

kamikat, I do like that on you, are you making the bolero? I love sets.

mackenzie, what lovely things and you have lucky friends.

Babydoll, oh I do like very much, I have a thing for novelty skirts and that "lady yang" print is perfect.

R

Red_Lipstick

Babydoll said:
No lessons needed for these. Just sewing a straight line over and over. :)

Hm... maybe I should ask my boyfriend for a sewing machine and start experimenting :p

Oh, and the Alexander Henry website is fantastic!!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:
kamikat, I do like that on you, are you making the bolero? I love sets.

I still need to see if I have enough fabric. I wasn't planning on making pockets when I bought the fabric.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Red_Lipstick said:
Hm... maybe I should ask my boyfriend for a sewing machine and start experimenting :p

Oh, and the Alexander Henry website is fantastic!!

Do it! Straight seams are the easiest. Once you master those, try other things. You can do it!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe