Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
cherry lips said:
Babydoll, I think you should post pics of your skirts, simple or not. They sound fun!

Okay, here goes.

I give all of my skirts names. Bear with me.

Here are all of them on the hangers.

allskirts.jpg

Apples (half circle)

apples.jpg

Aqua Atomic (full circle - wore this to see "Buddy" the musical, and got many compliments)

aquaatomic.jpg

Details of Aqua Atomic:

aquaatomicdetail.jpg

Black and Red Metallic (half circle)

blackandredmetallic.jpg

Cowgirls (full circle - AH fabric)

cowgirls.jpg

Details of Cowgirls:

cowgirlsdetail.jpg

(see all of the bedazzling? worked that into the design around the entire skirt. sparkles when I dance.)

Roll of the Dice (full circle):

dice.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
More skirts!

Goldwyn Girl, here's the one that you probably want to see:

Lady Yang's Golden Surprise (full circle - AH fabric):

ladyyang-1.jpg

Details of Lady Yang:

ladyyangdetail.jpg

Flocked Fancy (full circle - double layer):

flocked.jpg

(the outer layer of fabric is flocked, and see through. I got it for $1/yd., so I bought lining in a light lavender to make a lining, also $1/yd.)

Details of Flocked Fancy:

flockedlining.jpg

flockeddetail.jpg

Green Monogram (full circle):

greenmonogram.jpg

(I'll be monogramming an "M" for my name out of ric-rack on the skirt - kinda like Laverne had an "L" on all of her tops.)

Ladybuggies (half circle - AH fabric):

ladybugs.jpg

Patriot Ribbons (half circle)

patrioticribbons.jpg

(wore this for the 4th of July, and played baseball in it!)

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Red Bandanas (half circle):

redbandana.jpg

(spent 8 hours hand bedazzling this skirt all over - anyplace that sparkles is my handiwork. Never. Again.!! Cute, and sparkly, but a PITA.)

Pirate Treasure (full circle):

piratetreasure.jpg

Details of Pirate Treasure:

piratetreasuredetail.jpg

(skull and crossbones flocked iron-on applique with red bedazzled eyes, black ric-rack leads you to X marks the spot!)

Wagon Train (full circle):

wagontrain.jpg

Details of Wagon Train:

wagontraindetail.jpg

(wide red ric-rack, sewn with contrasting blue thread in a scrolling pattern)

I have about a half dozen more half circle skirts that need to have the waistband finished on them, besides fabric for about a dozen more full circle skirts. I guess I'll post as they're finished.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
How Fun! I love them all! This may sound like a silly question, but what type of top do you wear with them? I love the mix and match of separates but don't have many tops.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Because I'm wearing a fuller skirt, I usually stick to a more fitted top. I have a few that are v-neck pull overs that come to about 2-3 inches below the waistband of the skirt so it nips in at the waist/goes over my hips a bit and looks proportionate. I also have a few of the button-or-snap up stretchy fabric shirts they sell at Target or Walmart that I'll pair with them as well.

Not much of an answer, is it? Sorry. :(

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Red_Lipstick said:
Those skirts look fabulous!! :eusa_clap

Thank you. I love them.

I wore the Pirate Treasure yesterday when The Mister and I went to an outdoor concert. He asked me to *not* wear the skirt because he was wearing shorts and didn't want me to be more dressed up than him.

Yeah... I wore the skirt. :rolleyes:

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
They're easy to make, so you could have some too!

The pattern I used is Simplicity costume pattern #5403 which is for a a poodle skirt, but I've modified it to have an elastic waistband (as I like to be able to breathe when I'm dancing, and my weight does fluctuate a bit depending on what time of month it is).

Two pattern pieces, two side seams, hem, waistband. I can make one in about 1 1/2 hours (including trim).

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Babydoll said:
Not much of an answer, is it? Sorry. :(

Actually, it is. It means you don't worry so much about having a vintage top. I have one circle skirt and wear it with a little black top, but haven't made more because I had this strange need to find a matching top pattern. So far, none that I've made from a vintage pattern have looked as good with the skirt as the Target knit top. Now I can relax the "all vintage, all the time" rule.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
Actually, it is. It means you don't worry so much about having a vintage top. I have one circle skirt and wear it with a little black top, but haven't made more because I had this strange need to find a matching top pattern. So far, none that I've made from a vintage pattern have looked as good with the skirt as the Target knit top. Now I can relax the "all vintage, all the time" rule.

No, I don't wear all vintage all the time. I do go for the overall look, though. The tops that I wear the most are from Target. I've had them for about 6-7 years. They're a simple v-neck pull over, and they're great.

:D

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Ah, Babydoll, you are a woman after my own heart! I love novelty circle skirts, and you have made some gorgeous ones! I wish you could come over and fiddle around in my drawer of vintage rickrack, because I love how you have used it on your skirts! Thank you for inspiring me today! :D

I have seen other pictures of that lady Sweetpea on MySpace-she always has such great clothes on, and I love her style. I saw a picture of her in a darling Easter skirt that I wanted to make a variation of-it has bunnies and eggs and I think a grass-type border-it was CUTE!! Did you make all of her skirts like that?

Fun stuff. I am sure you are a blast to hang out with! I bet your personality is just as colorful as your skirts! ;)

Forgot to add that I love the pirate one the best.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
No, I don't make all of Sweetpea's skirts, but I've made her a few, and she just sent me a message that she has more materials for me to make her more. She's very fun! We have plans for one that has ric-rack, and pom-poms on it... I just need to find the right color of pom-poms. I'll take a photo of it before I give it over to her possession. It'll be awesome, I'm sure.

I have a healthy (or unhealthy) relationship with ric-rack. It's really bad. Vintage, you say? :D

Mojito

One Too Many
Those are gorgeous, Babydoll! What a lovely array of fabrics - they look like works of art, either together or individually.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Babydoll said:
No, I don't make all of Sweetpea's skirts, but I've made her a few, and she just sent me a message that she has more materials for me to make her more. She's very fun! We have plans for one that has ric-rack, and pom-poms on it... I just need to find the right color of pom-poms. I'll take a photo of it before I give it over to her possession. It'll be awesome, I'm sure.

I have a healthy (or unhealthy) relationship with ric-rack. It's really bad. Vintage, you say? :D

Yup, a whole dresser drawer full of it. I LOVE vintage rickrack. And bias tape and seam binding and trim and......I think I have that obsession as well. lol I never thought about pompom trim but wow-wouldn't that be fun on a twirly skirt!

I'd love to see what else you make in the future for her and yourself!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Babydoll, those skirts are fabulous, yes I really like the Lady Yang. I saw a christmas border print in JoAnns last night that would make a cute skirt for the holidays. The easter one RedHotRidinHood mentioned sounds cute I would like to see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe