Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mr Vim said:
Really? Shoot
Well, that's just my perception. Others may see it as something else.........

duke-windsor-buttoned.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Tomasso, I appreciate the opinion, I'm still new to buying suits and sport coats over ebay, I'm not giving up on it until I wear the coat, but in the future perhaps I'll post a pic before purchase.

For whatever reason, I saw the coat as looking a bit fifties-ish.

Kind of like the ones Kevin Spacey wore as Jack Vincennes on LA Confidential, although I don't think he wore double breasted.

Oh and 200 posts, yee ha!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My brother-in-law has the same problem with the arms, Thunder. That's a great loafer jacket, the two chest pockets are just the icing on the cake with that one.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
My brother-in-law has the same problem with the arms, Thunder. That's a great loafer jacket, the two chest pockets are just the icing on the cake with that one.

Thanks. :)

Though the fabric pattern burns the eyes a bit.

Jay

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
As most of you would be able to tell from the front, it is a belted back.

I feel like I should know this but what on the front gives away the belted back?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Well, that's just my perception. Others may see it as something else.........

duke-windsor-buttoned.jpg

When was that photo taken?

I'm going for fifties here... what about it said 80's to you, to me its the button placement, the shoulders are very natural, but still have good form.

Any advice, opinions are always welcome

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It has a '49 union tag-there's a pic of in the second to last photo.

The skeleton lining, union tag, cut, short vent, labels and flecked fabric all say '50s to me.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
It has a '49 union tag-there's a pic of in the second to last photo.

The skeleton lining, union tag, cut, short vent, labels and flecked fabric all say '50s to me.

Thanks for pointing that out! I had a feeling it was pre-1962. I agree 1950's.

Derek WC

Banned
Two here, first a Double Breasted Peak lapel not quite black with white pinstripes, that I have dated to be 50's

DB2.jpg

DB1.jpg

DB3.jpg

I'm not sure what this means, probably something about the tailoring of this suit.

Sorry for the bad picture quality. :eusa_doh:

And now a single breasted notch lapel off white with an kind of atomic speck/plaid off white pattern.

Summer1.jpg

Summer2.jpg

Summer4.jpg

Summer3.jpg

I am not quite sure if it is THE Palm Beach fabric though.

Any help dating this last one?

Derek WC

Banned
Shucks, I figured it was early 50's, but now that I look at it, the lapels are pretty high up. So that means it isn't the original Palm Beach fabric though, but it does seem pretty rough.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Derek WC said:
Two here, first a Double Breasted Peak lapel not quite black with white pinstripes, that I have dated to be 50's

DB2.jpg

DB1.jpg

And now a single breasted notch lapel off white with an kind of atomic speck/plaid off white pattern.

Summer1.jpg

Summer4.jpg

I am not quite sure if it is THE Palm Beach fabric though.

Any help dating this last one?
The first jacket has a 1939 Union tag, which means it was made no later than 1949. The second one has the 1962 union tag, and the lapel style along with the way the bottom blouses wider than the shoulders says '70s.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Derek WC said:
Shucks, I figured it was early 50's, but now that I look at it, the lapels are pretty high up. So that means it isn't the original Palm Beach fabric though, but it does seem pretty rough.

The union tag is more important than the lapel shape. That union tag came about in the mid-1960s.

And it's not the original 1930s/1940s Palm Beach material, by then the Palm Beach name was just used for its reputation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az