Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show off the sports coats.

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
Never was a dbl breasted...

Tomasso said:
Looks like it may have begun life as a DB.
This is a coveted and hard to find single breasted peak-lapel with button holes on both sides with a double button which goes through both sides. With the lapels rolled the styling is class-A. This style was also popular in the 1920s. I have seen them in films from around 1928. I also have a single breasted peak-lapel 3 piece belted back suit from 1936.

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
this is what I was talking about...

C.K.Farnsworth said:
This is a coveted and hard to find single breasted peak-lapel with button holes on both sides with a double button which goes through both sides. With the lapels rolled the styling is class-A. This style was also popular in the 1920s. I have seen them in films from around 1928. I also have a single breasted peak-lapel 3 piece belted back suit from 1936.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/effncbear/4705497840/

This is a bespoke early 1930s single breasted peak-lapel jacket with the button holes on both sides and two buttons stitched together. Note the rolled lapel. nice huh?!

No

I disagree. The buttons on the suit jacket are attached very differently. The one to which the jacket is buttoned in the link is attached on the inside of the jacket, on a long shank. It is not stitched to the front, next to the other button. I have several jackets with this buttoning configuration, which I quite like.

The one you have purchased has had its buttons moved as the owner go fatter. (Not really surprising as the jacket is a very "Young man's" style. The one I own is very small, really too small for me, and I'm 35S!) There is no way on earth that any tailor would cut the right side of your jacket like that if it was intended to be single breasted. When it arrives, it will have a buttonhole or two on the "under" flap of the jacket.

We'll see when the jacket arrives!

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Additionally, there are buttonholes on both lapels; not a feature commonly seen on SB jackets.

Here's the double button on one of my jackets. This one from a 3-piece suit from the early-mid 30s. It's a useful feature as it allows one to gorge on food and beverages and still wear the jacket that fits well on an empty stomach. (I suspect this may have been the intention of this feature.)

DoubleButton1.jpg

Note the second fastening button is attached to the inside of the jacket, behind the button on the outside, and attached via a long shank of thread. (Apologies for blurred pic.)

DoubleButton2.jpg

bk

Cross posted from the "Goodwill Buys" thread. Tentatively dated to 1936-38, the shoulders are more padded than I would expect from earlier, and not so much as I would expect from later. No labels or union tags or anything to help with dating it.

Baron Kurtz said:
Not from a thrift or charity shop, but £9.

BeltBackJune2010-1.jpg

As most of you would be able to tell from the front, it is a belted back.

BeltBackJune2010-2.jpg

Action back.

BeltBackJune2010-3.jpg

back is constructed of 2 pieces, like a normal suit jacket, but with pleats over which the belt is stitched. Different from many other belt backs i've seen where the skirt panel is a completely different panel from the rest of the rear.

BeltBackJune2010-4.jpg

Detail of the belt and pleat construction.

BeltBackJune2010-5.jpg

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
C.K.Farnsworth said:
but it's actually button holes on each side of the jacket and two buttons sewn together. It's single breasted. I've seen examples on 1920's jackets and some early 1930's ones as well. When it arrives I'll post a pic of me wearing it.
Has it arrived yet, Mr. Farnsworth? Let's see it, I'm curious.........

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I just started buying a few sports coats with the intention of doing what I see often inthe pictures here, the coat and the pants are a different color making for a very dapper profile... but is that a style of dress? Does it have a name? I'm curious.

Oh and my first sports coat is 100 % silk, very nice looking weave with a very subtle pattern... I CAN'T POST PICS AND I DON'T KNOW WHY! But in all seriousness, where silk jackets common in the golden era?

An inquiring mind would like to know.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mr Vim said:
I just started buying a few sports coats with the intention of doing what I see often inthe pictures here, the coat and the pants are a different color making for a very dapper profile... but is that a style of dress? Does it have a name? I'm curious.
Sportjackets and blazers are referred to as odd jackets as they do not belong to a suit. Same thing with odd trousers. The pairing of the two has no specific name. BTW, you can mix the two within the same color as long as the shade/pattern are distinctly different and doesn't look as if you're trying to pass it off as a suit.

Mr Vim said:
where silk jackets common in the golden era?
They were around though I wouldn't say that they were an everyman item. Silk has always been a relatively expensive fabric.

Mr Vim said:
I CAN'T POST PICS AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23495

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Okay, so this is my first blazer, and I know I'm not in the coat, but I just bought it, its has not been shipped to me but I'm excited and I want you all's opinion of it

Screenshot2010-07-22at103020PM.png

and the back

Screenshot2010-07-22at103035PM.png

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Really? Shoot, that wasn't what I was going for... I was thinking combined with a fedora and tan slacks it would work.

We'll see I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg