Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
It IS a beautiful hat.

I confess, I am totally ignorant of top hats -- are they still made? I guess they must be, as I think I recall a recent presidential candidate or perhaps election winner wearing one.

Jeff, BR, Earl, thanks very much for your comments. The sweatband is great on this topper, Jeff... somewhat unusual to show an imprint too. This store must have sold many. No maker's mark underneath the sweatband, though.

Earl, top hats are still being made, though I think the qualities from the early 20th C. have changed. The Toppers Unite thread shows some. It is possible to find pristine vintage examples - they were for many a special occasion hat, worn infrequently. One that I have was worn once at the owner's wedding in 1915 and then stored lovingly by the family for a century after. Finding one that is a good fit can be somewhat more challenging.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the notes! Mike, I have but one of these. I am really a home body by nature. The only other Dunlap I own is the half fur/half straw duplex posted earlier this year.

Your punny! Don't know why I thought you'd posted another Wanderer on here before, must have confused it with the Gadabout. You have so many fine hats and posts it's hard to keep track. For example the amazing antique top hat posted today. Can't wait to see you in that one!

Your punny! Don't know why I thought you'd posted another Wanderer on here before, must have confused it with the Gadabout. You have so many fine hats and posts it's hard to keep track. For example the amazing antique top hat posted today. Can't wait to see you in that one!

Is that an invitation to the opera?

Mike, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Alan, your hats are truly a wonder to behold. The effort you make to share photographs of them are so very appreciated.

Here's a recent addition to the posse for me, a Dobbs West that was far too big for Jeff, but fits me like a snug glove. No headache after several hours, so I may be in luck!
imagelnx.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Randall that's a rakish lid that looks much better on you than Jeff. Have to say you look a bit villain-ish though, reminds me of "A Clockwork Orange".

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Superb new additions to your collections, Alan and Randall!

Alan: Another exquisite Dunlap for you, and it speaks volumes for their exceptional quality. The Collins & Fairbanks topper is top-class, certainly, but yet somehow your old Crofut & Knapp stands firm as my favorite top hat yet seen!

Randall: Indeed, that Dobbs West was well served in goin' West. Looks great on you!

Maybe Halloween Alan, the opera is a bit over the top of my simple sense. Funny what you find when you google "top hat":

Wow... that's a Halloween scare. I think that's my B. Altman topper.

AL - thank you. That C&K top hat is special. I did some photos of these two together for the hat comparisons thread. They are almost identical in many ways. It is amazing how effective a covering silk plush is. I think the nutria cover may have been styled to look like silk rather than the other way around.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Did anyone here get the other two Gary White hats from Ebay last week? I got this one. It has a lot of charm, and I dig the unique ribbon. It's not blocked with a high crown or straight sides, but it has quite a lot of personality, even having been so well taken care of over the years. I dropped my camera and broke it while beginning to photograph this hat (bring on the jokes!), so I only have a few quick shots for the time being. The 2 inch brim has absolutely no stiffener, and the felt is very lightweight and thin.

006ypr.jpg

007tru.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Congrats Jeff, now that ribbon is going to stand out in the crowd. I like the shorter brims and it looks good on you. Is that one GWs vintage felts?

1950s P. & C. Habig Wien, size 57cm but fits fine (Habigs can run large), very good condition. It was about $20.00 (BIN) including shipping from Germany. Really like the brim flange and overall form.

8138712782_7b7013ca06_b.jpg

8138706951_4d8e613cbc_b.jpg

8138721847_c0e0bcd577_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe