Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Non-Balbi Featherweight 6-1/2 Punti size. Could use some freshening-up.

P1030019.JPG

I really like that one, Robert. Are you accepting offers? It's my size!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found out a couple of days ago that these hats are (I think) seconds, or "blems" or what have you, although all the ones I've looked at look top-notch. Like on a quail, I guess...

Good info in this thread. If I understand correctly, "self-conforming" describes a leather sweat band that is attached to the hat with a bit of a gap so it can move independently of the felt or straw.

You know, that's one thing that really chaps my a#$ -- movers and shippers destroying something that means something to me. They totally crushed my dad's felt hat IN THE BOX some ten or fifteen years after he died (while we were making a military move), and I'm STILL angry over that. Although I think the hat is OK, and I'm going to take it over to Joe's one day and see if they might clean it and get it squared away so I can wear it a bit.

Hi Earl (Have a good Veteran's day by the way)

Thanks for the Self Conforming thread. If that hat's a blemish, I have NO CLUE where it is unless it's a short crown. I have three options I'm considering for the hat. 1. John Wayne Cavalry hat; 2. Roughrider hat; or 3. Boss of the Plains hat. I'm concerned that the John Wayne hat will need too much crown for the 20x Resistol. I know that the Roughrider hat will work out, but I'm considering a boss of the plains because I live in Wichita KS, it's a less expensive hat for something I won't wear a lot, and they look pretty cool in Tombstone.

later y'all

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
Thanks for the well-wishes for Veteran's Day. Funny thing, sometimes I forget what the 11th of November is, but I ALWAYS know the tenth of November is the Marine Corps' Birthday!

As for teh hat -- I'd go with the Roughrider, but I'm a big fan of cavalry charging in and "taking care of business". Infantry, too, for that matter.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Ordinary Guy Thank you very much.
Every Weekend in Germany are flea markets. The best find was a Borsalino Qualita Speciale for 5 EUR.
The people in Germany have little relation to the hats, so you get it cheap.

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Six years ago, Lounger "Wild Root" won a pristine vintage 1930s burgundy-colored fedora (and a hatbox) for about $5. A beautiful, very rarely seen color in surviving fedoras from that era. Very handsome when worn with certain shades of grey, tan or brown. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?3025-9.99-got-me....&

1131394img9qe.jpg

1131395img5pk.jpg

1131397img3yb.jpg

Back in the '70s-early '80s, Borsalino --which was still family owned, and still top-notch-- began to revive its 1930s-early '40s styles. Here's one that just sold on eBay. (Believe it or not, the linked felt ribbon is a Borsalino invention from the '30s.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-BORSALINO-FEDORA-SUPER-FINISH-UNUSUAL-COLOR-MUST-SEE-/290632735605

Look at that color! The buyer could always remove the somewhat eccentric ribbon and replace it with a lighter rust or darker burgundy grosgrain one ... like Wild Root's.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Unusual Stetson Standard Quality

P1030040.JPG
P1030043.JPG

Sweatband has no reed and the leather is sewn on(through not at the edge) and folded over while the front portion has a ventilation gap. The gold size tag has bevelled corners not the later keyhole shape. Felt is light but rather rough a la Nutria and doesn't particularly want to hold alternate shapes. Very curved dipping flange and short brim. The moths set up housekeeping and ate until they came out the other side on the rear of the brim and a few other craters where they nearly made it. More in the pre-40's Stetson Dress Thread soon.

Last edited:

coble

A-List Customer
Alright, here are the fruits of my recent less-conventional-than-usual Ebids. Not sure if I can predict how much noggin' time they will get, but they are kind of awesome. Both arrived at my door this morning.

First, a Bailey Panama derby with a nice golden-wheat-like patina (or dye?) and a sage green ribbon:

020copyt.jpg

021copy.jpg

AWESOME, this is a cool hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton