Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
+1... especially the gray... velour?
I'm not sure, Alan. I described it in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread as being like "micro velour" - it's not real thick velour like I've seen. The felt is very thin and the finish is like a very shallow velour. I just don't have much experience with these guys. The inside tag says "Amiata" which I think refers to the color and also says 6 1/2 (size) and "Ecosti". I have no idea what "Ecosti" means.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure, Alan. I described it in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread as being like "micro velour" - it's not real thick velour like I've seen. The felt is very thin and the finish is like a very shallow velour. I just don't have much experience with these guys. The inside tag says "Amiata" which I think refers to the color and also says 6 1/2 (size) and "Ecosti". I have no idea what "Ecosti" means.

I posted this in the Borso thread, too. I tried an online translator and got this:

Italian English
No translation found.

Did you mean: è eccitato | è stato detto | è uscito | eccetto | eccettuato | eccidio | eccitato | ecco tutto | eccoti | ecocidio | egged | egida

I enjoyed the pictures in the other thread... it's a beauty. Amiata is the name of a volcanic mountain in Tuscany. Ecosti, I don't know.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

I don't think it is "Ecosti" It looks like F, COSTI .

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I don't think it is "Ecosti" It looks like F, COSTI .

004cz.jpg

001ljq.jpg

photos of my hat stamp

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Big Knox Western

P1020971.JPG

A pleasant surprise as the size age and condition were somewhat mysterious. Very soft suede finish.

scooter

Practically Family
That hat makes me think of the Stetson I converted, Robert. Yours is probably a nicer felt, but I'm happy with mine.

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
Finally got around to trying to take a picture of me and my new Resistol.

hat-1.jpg

I didn't realize I was starting to look so OLD! :D

Edited to put in the better picture.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Another old Mallory <'34

P1030012.JPG
ebay:
Screen%252520shot%2525202011-11-10%252520at%25252012.10.36%252520PM.png
P1030013.JPG

Another early stitched seam on a United Hatters of North America labelled hat. More in the Mallory Mile.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Finally got around to trying to take a picture of me and my new Resistol.

I didn't realize I was starting to look so OLD! :D

Edited to put in the better picture.

Hi Earl

Same hat different face, more facial hair. The hat appears to be VERY good quality, so I'm satisfied that way. I was hoping that the hat was open crown, not cattleman's crease. For $124 including shipping, I"m not really upset though. I hope to be able to get Hatman Jack to put in a John Wayne Cavalry Trilogy square crease in it.

What does "self conforming" in the hat band mean on a Resistol? I hope it will retain it's new shape.

Oh, on a side note, this is the third hat I've ordered, and the second one that come with a smashed box. The first one, my Jaxonbilt, is the only one that THE BOX has showed up in pristine condition. The hats are all fine. [huh]

Mike

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Borsalini

Non-Balbi Featherweight 6-1/2 Punti size. Could use some freshening-up.

P1030019.JPG
P1030018.JPG

Very fresh Alessandria from Rogers Peet:

P1030011.JPG

The best for last. A pre-WW2 Stealth Borsalino lightweight:

P1030007.JPG
P1030006.JPG

P1030004.JPG
P1030009.JPG

6" x 2-1/4". No liner or sweatband embossing.

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
Hi Earl

Same hat different face, more facial hair. The hat appears to be VERY good quality, so I'm satisfied that way. I was hoping that the hat was open crown, not cattleman's crease. For $124 including shipping, I"m not really upset though. I hope to be able to get Hatman Jack to put in a John Wayne Cavalry Trilogy square crease in it.

I found out a couple of days ago that these hats are (I think) seconds, or "blems" or what have you, although all the ones I've looked at look top-notch. Like on a quail, I guess...

What does "self conforming" in the hat band mean on a Resistol? I hope it will retain it's new shape.

Good info in this thread. If I understand correctly, "self-conforming" describes a leather sweat band that is attached to the hat with a bit of a gap so it can move independently of the felt or straw.

Oh, on a side note, this is the third hat I've ordered, and the second one that come with a smashed box. The first one, my Jaxonbilt, is the only one that THE BOX has showed up in pristine condition. The hats are all fine. [huh]

Mike

You know, that's one thing that really chaps my a#$ -- movers and shippers destroying something that means something to me. They totally crushed my dad's felt hat IN THE BOX some ten or fifteen years after he died (while we were making a military move), and I'm STILL angry over that. Although I think the hat is OK, and I'm going to take it over to Joe's one day and see if they might clean it and get it squared away so I can wear it a bit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeLSA