Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thoroughbred 10X

From this:
2mww3ts.jpg

But I'm not liking the plain telescope. If I can put some cup into the brim I'll go with a center crease & wide set pinches in the style of the pre-1940's Stetson dress.

I like it HJ. Very pretty.
Can't wait to see the crease you put in her.

TPD166

One Too Many
I picked up this vintage NOS Resistol Western wide-brim, open-crown “straw” with plans of making it into a “Gus” crown. While there is plenty of crown for a Gus crease, the vents made it difficult to come out right (actually doing anything with this crown & brim was not easy!). So, I changed it to a center-dent, gave the flat brim a little bit of an upward turn, and added a horsehair band. Not perfect – but good to knock around in and does a great job of providing shade. Very pleased with my under-$20 investment.

RJR

I picked up this vintage NOS Resistol Western wide-brim, open-crown “straw” with plans of making it into a “Gus” crown. While there is plenty of crown for a Gus crease, the vents made it difficult to come out right (actually doing anything with this crown & brim was not easy!). So, I changed it to a center-dent, gave the flat brim a little bit of an upward turn, and added a horsehair band. Not perfect – but good to knock around in and does a great job of providing shade. Very pleased with my under-$20 investment.

Looks good.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Works for me.

Knotten

Practically Family
I took a chance on a Resistol offered on eBay, mainly because it came with an original sales receipt from the year I was born, 1959. The seller said it had a 2-inch brim, so I wasn't terribly excited (that's a bit stingy for me). When it came today, I was pleasantly surprised. The brim is 2 3/8, the hat came open crowned, and despite the nifty sales receipt, it appears never to have been worn. It even still has the hat-care tag attached with a perforated edge to the sweatband.
It seemed to want a center dent, so that's what I gave it. The "kitten finish" felt isn't nearly as soft as my older Resistol, but it still bashed without steam quite nicely. I'm pleased as punch with this, especially considering I offered far below the asking price.

20161004_002411256_iOS.jpg

20161004_002414457_iOS.jpg

Dlaniger

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I took a chance on a Resistol offered on eBay, mainly because it came with an original sales receipt from the year I was born, 1959. The seller said it had a 2-inch brim, so I wasn't terribly excited (that's a bit stingy for me). When it came today, I was pleasantly surprised. The brim is 2 3/8, the hat came open crowned, and despite the nifty sales receipt, it appears never to have been worn. It even still has the hat-care tag attached with a perforated edge to the sweatband.
It seemed to want a center dent, so that's what I gave it. The "kitten finish" felt isn't nearly as soft as my older Resistol, but it still bashed without steam quite nicely. I'm pleased as punch with this, especially considering I offered far below the asking price.

View attachment 57645

View attachment 57646
That's a great looking hat! Crown height, brim, and bash it has the total package!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 57645

View attachment 57646
Very nice snag Knotten!

View attachment 57645

View attachment 57646

That's a good looking Resistol, Jay!
Nice score!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

View attachment 57645

View attachment 57646
can't beat that! Nice!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Last year I heard a lot from the loungers about the 150th anniversary of the Stetson and, this year the main posts regarding the new active hatters especially in America.
My curiosity as fond of hats has increased with the vision of the photographs posted on the two issues that were the main themes of FL.
I made then a small investment to have in my hands and on my head two American products.
Mass one (Stetson) and a niche (Gannon).
I was helped in my intention to Steve who kindly made me to be logistically and much more in the US.
So here come the two hats after a tour in Europe together with a Borsalino renovated by Bob to BSHW (not in this thread :))

Stetson Absinthe in sage directly from the outlet in Garland TX. Generous gift from Steve.
2j1s8zc.jpg

This model, together with Racine, was my favorite in the range proposed by Stetson for the 150th anniversary.
33uxuv8.jpg

2niogf9.jpg

I was lucky !

The Gannon is Black Cherry fur felt (lapin)
ncdufc.jpg

I chose the rabbit because it is much closer to almost all Europeans hats in my collection.
30wm26d.jpg

w7bzlx.jpg

The first impression is that they are sturdy hats
Give me the time to do a bit of comparisons and handle them before saying my opinion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton