Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Too bad about that edge it you definitely have a very sharp wearable hat there!

Alan, the sweat bow and size tag are attached... er... the size tag still is but it seems the ribbon fell off and I inadvertently missed it. I hope the little bugger turns up today. Although the leather is intact and soft it is not very supple. I'm afraid to turn it out but will post if I find some factory numbers in there.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
The duplicate ticket is Orange and white and says "to duplicate mention D192819 also give size wanted."
The blocking label is red and white and says "John b. Stetson company, Philadelphia u.s.a., 7 1/8, block 53 1/2 (I think), depth 4 7/8," and under finish is scratched something ending in "ahl."

002xiz.jpg

004ew.jpg

005kcze.jpg

003rkh.jpg

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Ahi... clearly one of the early tuna skin sweats. :eusa_clap

Don't stress the sweat, but a small mirror can help search.

11.jpg

The LotXXXX stamp will have large letters/numbers - 3/8" or so - and can be very faint. With the exception of the red herring exposition medal that RLK posted, the examples appear to follow a sequential timeline of Stetson production from the teens through the early (pre-war) 1940s.
The stamp can be anywhere on the sweat, but I find them most often in the center of the sweat, which would be near the forehead once the hat is assembled.

John Galt

Vendor
Great find Justin - I want an apprenticeship with you, my friend!

Here is my new circa 1958 Knox Miracle Felt (see above) after cleaning & reshaping. Still some wrinkles & bumps, unfortunately. I am hoping a steaming & maybe a real blocking will help with that. If you are wondering, this guy weighs in at only 2 5/8 oz.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371061895.841961.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371061927.490328.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371061965.073780.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371061995.256637.jpg

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John - I'm sure with a bit of steam and time those bumps will come out, but they don't detract from the hat - I wouldn't worry too much about a re-block, they add a bit of character.

John Galt

Vendor
John - I'm sure with a bit of steam and time those bumps will come out, but they don't detract from the hat - I wouldn't worry too much about a re-block, they add a bit of character.

You are right, of course. Considering this hat is (I think) properly considered a packable/rollable/foldable/travel hat, they are probably to be expected.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Arrived today - one of the many nice hats featured in Rabbit's May Sale.
This one is a 40's/50's Stetson Twenty Five Open Road Style.

smugshot_4990529-L.jpg

I'm really enjoying this very thin, soft felt - a different feel to my similarly styled 7XCB Open Road. I have to pick up our daughter at Logan Airport this evening (thank you JetBlue for providing some much needed competition on the Boston-Philly route!) and the Twenty Five will be coming along.

Thanks a lot Nik, this is a great hat!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88