Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Well, not totally--I'm not a beach-type, but I can't deal with cold weather at all, I seem to be only marginally less cold-blooded than my serpentine nameesake. Where does "desert rattlesnake" fit into that spectrum?:eek: :D

I was just being a wise-acre...

And as for Diamondbacks, I haven's seen one, but I hear that there are plenty around here, cold winters and all. I guess they kind of hibernate through it.

I'm guessing that wouldn't work for you though. ;)

Joie DeVive said:
I was just being a wise-acre...

And as for Diamondbacks, I haven's seen one, but I hear that there are plenty around here, cold winters and all. I guess they kind of hibernate through it.

I'm guessing that wouldn't work for you though. ;)

Yeah, you generally don't wanna see one outside a zoo or museum--serious bad news, generally nasty tempers, long reach to strike, and really nasty aftereffects once they connect.:eek:

As for me, that's what steaming-hot meals, heat-lamps, hot-running tower-PCs and ThermaCare heat-packs are for...:D

Diamondback said:
Well, not totally--I'm not a beach-type, but I can't deal with cold weather at all, I seem to be only marginally less cold-blooded than my serpentine nameesake. Where does "desert rattlesnake" fit into that spectrum?:eek: :D

DHermann, that might work, depending on the reception from the locals. I'd suggest somewhere out in the "heartland", small-town USA. Have to check big-city attitudes at the town limits, though... :D

Yeah baby! You got the right town here. Willoughby. Leave the snow at the border. :p

J.B.

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Bipedal vermin, specifically...lol

Vermin?!...

...Oooof! Now that hurt deeply! :D

burglargx7.jpg

My chosen profession is second oldest only to........... (Ach, never mind...) :)

...Besides -- I never "appropriate" more than will fit in my (Tom Mix) hat! :p

Story

I'll Lock Up
*coff coff*

Texas Town For Sale On eBay
http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=7281972&nav=menu73_2_15
Oct 30, 2007 03:32 PM

An entire Central Texas town is up for sale on eBay.

It sits southwest of Austin in Gillespie County; heading south on Farm to Market Road 1623 from Stonewall leads right to Albert.

There's quite a lot of character packed into Albert's 13 acres.

On the fringes stands an old schoolhouse once attended by President Lyndon Baines Johnson. It's now a community center for the residents, all four of them.

There's also pecan and peach orchards, a house for the new mayor and a special tourist attraction.

"I came out here, and I started bartending a little bit and ended up turning into the maintenance guy, and now I'm the landscaper and the painter and the bottle washer and everything," said Albert resident Jody Ewen.

Ewen came for the job and stayed for the atmosphere.

"This town has so much potential," said Ewen.

The highlight is an 80-year-old icehouse with a 400-year-old tree shading the back patio.

"It needs a little restoration, but a person who is really creative, he could come out here and have that dance hall just kicking, and I mean an excellent venue for live music and just good entertainment," said Ewen.

Owner Bobby Cave got it this far and is ready to hand over the reins.

"I'm kind of a project-oriented guy," said Cave. "I didn't expect Albert, the little town and the bar and the beer garden, to get up and going as quickly as it did. It's doing exactly what I wanted it to do. We're open every weekend, and I think it's time for the next guy to take it to the next step."

The trick now is getting buyers to bite.

"We are accepting offers right now at 2.5 million and haven't had anybody argue with that price yet," said Cave.

Yet the eBay bid is just up to $190,000.

The town was named in 1892 after Albert Luckenbach, who lends his name to another tiny Hill Country town named Luckenbach.

Eliza

One of the Regulars
Do you have a Hairdresser? A Librarian? I am a retired Hairdresser but I think I'd like to be the Librarian..... am I too new in town to apply for these jobs? :p

missjo

Practically Family
Once in a lifetime opportunity!
Get some investors together and buy that town!

Btw, where on ebay is it?

nyx

One of the Regulars
I'd like to be a teacher. Maybe the English teacher at the little highschool. And at night I'd want to be a barmaid at the speakeasy :D

I could also be the pharmacy assistant like Ellie Walker on Andy Griffith.

cowboy76

Suspended
I'm a Union Boilermaker by trade,...a Boilermaker/Welder. In our trade seal, it is listed, "Boilermakers, Iron-Ship Builders, Blacksmiths, Forgers & Helpers"
Through history, we've helped out in every major war. WWII saw us building locomotives, building, boilers, ships, etc. So I got ya cover there!!!....just need some other strong hands!:)

Trade goes waaay back into the 1800s...1893 to be exact! I'm a second generation boilermaker, friends of mine are third and even fourth generation boilermakers!!

Lots of history with us,..very neat! They "finally" put together what is supposed to be a very well documented book on the history og the Boilermakers....pricey though, so I'm talking with our Apprenticeship coordinator to see if we can get one to keep at the hall for reasearch and such.

Two of my favorite songs are old ones, "Union Maid" and "Talking Unions" by Pete Seeger,...in the same timeframe as Woody Guthrie (another great musician!!), Arlo's father. Talk about the blue collar strife and work,....things I've seen and dealt with before I became a union boilermaker. You'd be amazed at the things that people get away with in the construction industry. We put a stop to that, and make sure our boys are SAFE!, highly skilled and professionally trained (you'd be amazed at the standards we are held to!!), never thirsty (a basic necessity you'd think would always be there right,..no so!), and compensated for working on jobs where you put your health and life itself on the line when you go to work!! We take care of the conditions to the best of our ability for our guys! We oftentimes work around and in, Arsenic fly-ash, asbestos, EXTREME heat or cold (last job in a coal-fired power plant, average temp. was 115-132 degrees for four weeks straight where we were working, this is not uncommen!), high work areas (last year worked on an SCR unit we built, worked 23 stories in the air, on a piece of grating 5ft wide that encircled the unit, as it was being built!), the list goes on,....etc.

Hardest work I've ever done! In fact, after the first day I worked, I turned to my father and said, "...I have a new found respect for what you've been doing all your life, I never knew it was this hard, I have no idea how you've done this all this time!!!??" You just can't understand unless you've done this work, there's just no way around it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe