Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
missjoeri said:
1 man to cook diner
1 man to clean
1 man to take out the carbage and walk the dogs
1 man just to look pretty
1 man to make money

erm i think i need more then 5

That's right missjoeri, 5 will not do. You need 6.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
missjoeri said:
1 man to cook diner
1 man to clean
1 man to make money

I'm available,...;) ,... I'm an excellent driver, and I won't shed much on the furniture.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
missjoeri said:
1 man to cook diner
1 man to clean
1 man to make money

Don't forget,
1 man to buy lots of vintage clothes for...

(that'd be me, I'm a bit short in the vintage wardrobe department) :)

- C H

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
I would volunteer, but that would mean I wouldn't get to watch the program!
You can see the Kinsecope!
Now, I've been seeing more and more interest from across the pond. That complicates things a bit. I'm sure we'll be hearing from the folks down under about this also. That Island in Scotland looks interesting, but in order to make it equidistant for all persons potentially interested, we might need to make it the Falkland Islands. They're a throw back world if there ever was one. But we'll have to be more diplomatic about invading them than the last folks who tried to show up uninvited.
Now, as far as wives, Fletch, I'm gonna have to fight you over Lizzie. May the best man win! (She bakes PIES! I love pies!) Oh, and I also get dibs on Daisy, she makes cookies and cakes!
It's soooo tantalizing! I'm thinking of all the small semi ghost towns in the rust belt areas, towns like Middletown, NY, and Binghamton, with 80 to 90% of their old employment sources dried up, yet still a very nice intact (not destroyed by urban renewal) old and handsome urban infrastructure. Maybe an existing town that decides to adopt the theme as a form of urban self reinvention! Then we'd all have to be committed to moving there and trying to make a life.
And there's still that gnawing issue that just won't go away: to SNOW or NOT TO SNOW!!!
But it's true, Europe has Neolithic and Medieval communities, we have Colonial Williamsburg, etc. the Twentieth Century is, after all, the LAST century, and will only become more so. And it the great advantage of being a very livable century, if done right.
"A brilliant idea, a brilliant idea!" "What?! What?!" "That's what we need, a brilliant idea!"
More contributions, please. Sensible, creative and constructive ideas are absolutely as welcome and valuable as silly, unrealistic idiotic ideas.

dhermann1 said:
It's soooo tantalizing! I'm thinking of all the small semi ghost towns in the rust belt areas, towns like Middletown, NY, and Binghamton, with 80 to 90% of their old employment sources dried up, yet still a very nice intact (not destroyed by urban renewal) old and handsome urban infrastructure. ...
More contributions, please. Sensible, creative and constructive ideas are absolutely as welcome and valuable as silly, unrealistic idiotic ideas.

You know, I'm sure there are some old abandoned SAC bomber bases that'd work to redevelop into a "Vintageville," complete with pre-built airstrip...

koopkooper

Practically Family
I nominate Senator Jack as our official government representation....remember a vote for Jack is a vote against progress.

Mind you he might be a bit busy being the town playboy, still that might qualify him as a good politician!!

missjo

Practically Family
we dont have many (semi) ghosttowns overhere but yes, that would be perfect.
You have almost everything you need ready and everyone in the area would be happy to see such a place come back to life.
Also it would probably be very cheap.

Alas, if its going to be in the USA I will only be visiting now and then.
As for snow; YES TO SNOW!
We need proper winters, like in the olden days.
Due to the changing climate my country has gone from a good winter every year to a bit of wet snow one day a year... if yer lucky!
Besides with good winters we can wear our lovely vintage wintercoats and such.
Im more worried about the sun, I will explode if the summers are too hot.
So already it seems we might need 2 communities... one in europe and one in the us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_town

In the UK they have a town that was abandoned in 1943 for the military to train for d-day!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imber

Heres another one;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyneham

oooooh heres one in france;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Île_aux_Marins

Diamondback said:
Beg to differ, sir. Are you really a fan of muggy, humid, downright oppressive summer heat? Yes, I know I'm a cold-blood and you'd thus expect me to love it, but dry desert heat's a whole different thing from 100%-humidity Deep South heat. There are reasons Georgia chain gangs have the stereotype they do, and that humidity's a big part of it.

Just a little something for y'all to think about...

I love it. As long as its warm and not cold. Oppresive heat works for me. Ahhhhhhh!

missjo

Practically Family
I dont like summer, sun, heat, sunrays, etc.
I love rain, storm, thunder, winter, snow, cold.

So will I be alone in my 1930s village in scotland? ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You take the high road and I'll take the railroad! :D

LNER-Scotland-by-the-Night-Scotsman-1932-Giclee-Print-C12176414.jpeg

London & North East Railways, 1932

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
missjoeri said:
I dont like summer, sun, heat, sunrays, etc.
I love rain, storm, thunder, winter, snow, cold.

So will I be alone in my 1930s village in scotland? ;)

I'm there! :) I thought I was the only person on earth that disliked summer, and actually likes winter.
People here will think I'm crazy,...but I don't care. Today the temperature was almost 80F approaching the limits for my comfort :( ,....a cold front is coming, and by this weekend we will have several inches of snow and temps in the 20s! I can't wait! lol

missjo

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I'm there! :) I thought I was the only person on earth that disliked summer, and actually likes winter.
People here will think I'm crazy,...but I don't care. Today the temperature was almost 80F approaching the limits for my comfort :( ,....a cold front is coming, and by this weekend we will have several inches of snow and temps in the 20s! I can't wait! lol

Your not alone!
I know at least 10 people overhere and theres even a website for dutch summerhaters, or people with Summer Depression ;)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Summer???????????? GRRRRRR

I'm another person who dislikes hot weather, so please count me in for that nice vintage place in Scotland, I'm joining all others.... ;)

Well, what are we waiting for? :D

missjo

Practically Family
well how do communities like this get started?
First you need to get the people together who really really want to do this.
Then we need to see how much money we can put together and then we look for a bit of land or perhaps a estate.

Or someone just point me in the direction of a unmarried millionaire!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
I'm another person who dislikes hot weather, so please count me in for that nice vintage place in Scotland, I'm joining all others.... ;)

Well, what are we waiting for? :D

Wow! That makes us 3,...and at least 10 others in Holland for a total of 13. I think that's enough to start a colony in Iceland? :D
(I'm working on that millionaire thing, Miss Joeri.)
:)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
missjoeri said:
Or someone just point me in the direction of a unmarried millionaire!

missjoeri, missjoeri, missjoeri it's always money isn't it? lol lol lol
What are we going to do with you girl??????? hmmmm?????:p lol lol
when there's a will there's a way, we'll get there somehow, don't you worry so much... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe