Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

missjo

Practically Family
Fletch said:
I would volunteer, but that would mean I wouldn't get to watch the program!

Get a videorecorder!

...and yes in our 1930s village that would mean someone would watch the show and then tell you what you missed when you get back ;)

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Well, if you want to live in a reproduction WW2 Soviet communal farm village then it is already being built. There is always a need for more people to dig ditches, and there are still plenty of bunks with 1940s charm.

zavalla1.jpg

zavalla3.jpg

zavalla4.jpg

zavalla5.jpg

zavalla2.jpg

jamespowers said:
If it has to be a state then I would say some state in the east coast area then I would say North Carolina, Georgia or Florida. The weather there is much better than where you mentioned. :D

Beg to differ, sir. Are you really a fan of muggy, humid, downright oppressive summer heat? Yes, I know I'm a cold-blood and you'd thus expect me to love it, but dry desert heat's a whole different thing from 100%-humidity Deep South heat. There are reasons Georgia chain gangs have the stereotype they do, and that humidity's a big part of it.

Just a little something for y'all to think about...

missjo

Practically Family
Vladimir Berkov said:
Well, if you want to live in a reproduction WW2 Soviet communal farm village then it is already being built. There is always a need for more people to dig ditches, and there are still plenty of bunks with 1940s charm.

Comrade, that looks impressive!
Where is it?
Got more photos?
got a site?

missjo

Practically Family
Parallel Guy said:
I think the idea of a 1930s village is sterling, but I think it would only work in one of three ways. It can work in the Field-of-Dreams kind of way: If you build it they will come. Or it works if designed by a committee of people bound to find some way to make money on it . The third option is a very small, very dedicated group of people who feel they have a mission to create a like-vision.

I've often toyed with the idea of what it would be like to create a mock 1940s vacation village where people would pay to relive a specific week or month of that time. Unfortunately, I have neither the missionary zeal nor the Gatesque fortune to do it.

I think thats a great idea.
We could design it as a sort of themepark, although that sounds sooo wrong.
But imagine a bit of land wih a few small houses on it and a few shops (and the Lizzieplex).
There would be a few little houses that people from outside the town could rent.
A holiday away from the modern hectic world.
Or perhaps we have a little hotel in the village where outsiders can stay.
A nice way to make a bit of extra money for the town.

It shouldnt be that difficult to set up, there are countless of holiday camps and bungalow villages.
These usually have a area with shops and a HQ etc.
Imagine setting that up with one difference... its 1930s themed.

But yes, you'd need some investors and such to get started...

Then again, any idea needs that.
If we all put some money together we could buy some land and start building houses.
So who knows...

koopkooper

Practically Family
Right next door someone could set up a 40's village, 50's village and a 60's village and then you could travel down the highway and change decade every mile!!

Re the five wives thing I mentioned......hell that's the stupidist thing I have ever said....five nagging women, probably ten kids in total, hell no man deserves that!

koopkooper

Practically Family
Don't worry Benny, I would still visit you in the 50's one, I will come over in the 65 Valiant wearing my stingy brim and Bisley shirt!
You will hear the roar of the slant 6 and lounge music coming from the Val

Actually Benny I just realised that you will have to live in 60's world with me, afterall isn't your Chevrolet from 1960 !!!!

missjo

Practically Family
A 50's themepark sort of holiday camp would probably be a great tourist trap!
Not my cup of tea but still something that would work well.
Imagine the square from 'Back to the Future', the garage, the oldtimers, the shops, the milk bar, etc.
Spend a week in the 50's... you'd have people who grew up then coming to stay, the rockabillies, etc, etc.
If im not mistaken some of the disney parks have theme camping locations and such.
Come to think of it, disney USA mainstreet is sort of the same idea except of course that our shop keepers wouldn actually live there and our street would be more authentic.

missjoeri said:
A 50's themepark sort of holiday camp would probably be a great tourist trap!
Not my cup of tea but still something that would work well.
Imagine the square from 'Back to the Future', the garage, the oldtimers, the shops, the milk bar, etc.

Yeah, but am I gonna have to worry about some crazy old farmer and his comic-book-OD'ed kid mistaking the DeLorean for a flying saucer?

warbird

One Too Many
koopkooper said:
Right next door someone could set up a 40's village, 50's village and a 60's village and then you could travel down the highway and change decade every mile!!

Re the five wives thing I mentioned......hell that's the stupidist thing I have ever said....five nagging women, probably ten kids in total, hell no man deserves that!

Thank gawd you said that. After reading above and your other thread about living in a cave, I thought surely you must have lost your mind. Why in the hell would any man want more than one wife. :eusa_doh:

In the immortal words of Eastwood, nag , nag, nag.

Course i could understand a woman wanting 5 husbands sometimes. Surely at any given time at least one of them would be listening to her. Increase her odds so to speak. Course she'd never be left alone to get some Z's.

missjo

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Can I be one? ;) You can share me with Lizzie and...um, I think after Lizzie we're out of gals. :eek: Time to recruit...

hahaha consider yourself engaged!

By the way darling, im a little short on money to buy some new jewelry, give me your credit card :D

missjo

Practically Family
warbird said:
Thank gawd you said that. After reading above and your other thread about living in a cave, I thought surely you must have lost your mind. Why in the hell would any man want more than one wife. :eusa_doh:

In the immortal words of Eastwood, nag , nag, nag.

Course i could understand a woman wanting 5 husbands sometimes. Surely at any given time at least one of them would be listening to her. Increase her odds so to speak. Course she'd never be left alone to get some Z's.

1 man to cook diner
1 man to clean
1 man to take out the carbage and walk the dogs
1 man just to look pretty
1 man to make money

erm i think i need more then 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe