Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I love the center dent alone, and that felt looks so pliable that I need to touch your hat too. Amazing new hats for both of you. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Two more beauties, DRB and RLK.

I received felt samples in the mail from Tiffani today. I asked for browns and received ten or twelve of them. I have a rust long coat I'm looking for a match for, and oddly the burnt orange is the closest. I'm surprised, as I saw the burnt orange there last fall made up in a hat with an orange ribbon. I wasn't impressed, but I suppose if one toned it down with a different color ribbon it might make a nice looking lid.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
5076440811_709f88ee18_z.jpg

I love that ribbon color with the felt.:eusa_clap

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Two more beauties, DRB and RLK.

I received felt samples in the mail from Tiffani today. I asked for browns and received ten or twelve of them. I have a rust long coat I'm looking for a match for, and oddly the burnt orange is the closest. I'm surprised, as I saw the burnt orange there last fall made up in a hat with an orange ribbon. I wasn't impressed, but I suppose if one toned it down with a different color ribbon it might make a nice looking lid.

Its a pretty aggressive color. I'd try one of the lighter or darker more neutral browns and put the rust color into the ribbon. The fleck/heathers can also be pounced to a smoother finish and are sometimes more flexible to work with.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
As I said in another reply....

Natural Light
5075898939_face6da0cf_b.jpg

Incandescent Light
5077042794_291ed84a9e_b.jpg

5077040170_d2008dcbdc_z.jpg
5076440811_709f88ee18_z.jpg

5077045612_27a7d98265_z.jpg

... that has to be one of the most PERFECT looking hats I've seen :) I originally thought it still needed a front pinch, but after looking at it more it's JUST RIGHT :) Gorgeous bow work and color with that felt and is that just a sewn brim or is it an underwelt? And what's the brim size as the proportions of crown/brim are PERFECT. :)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
... that has to be one of the most PERFECT looking hats I've seen :) I originally thought it still needed a front pinch, but after looking at it more it's JUST RIGHT :) Gorgeous bow work and color with that felt and is that just a sewn brim or is it an underwelt? And what's the brim size as the proportions of crown/brim are PERFECT. :)

Thank you! Its a short sewn underwelt. The brim is 2-1/2" and about a 5-1/2" open crown around 4-1/2 at the front dip.

Lando

Practically Family
DRB, that is a great hat. A white that intense is hard to maintain but a definite eye catcher. You know what they say though, the safest place for a hat is firmly on your head. Great hat sir.

DRB

One Too Many
RLK, that bow work is sensational. It really adds class to the hat. That has to be one of your best hats, if not the best, in my opinion. It just reeks of class.

Neil

A-List Customer
The Porcelain Optimo

Wow.
That's the most striking, and most expensive felt hat I have ever seen.
You're a serious addict, DRB.
Meanwhile, I can't believe there were five Optimos in my size on EBay last week, and I eventually just let them all go.
But I did. Got a mortgage to pay.

Neil

A-List Customer
I didn't realize. . .

The "Mitchum" is high and straight. Makes me happy I gave up on that grey one on EBay. It was a Mitchum. I've always favored Optimo precisely because it doesn't do much high-and-straight. The ones I have are tapered, and look great. I once sold an Art Fawcett without wearing it because of the high-and-straight thing.
What about the Dillinger? High and straight, too? (Sounds like a pot-smoking heterosexual, I know).

Mulceber

Practically Family
Well the Dillinger appears high and straight on screen, but from what I understand, that's partially the way it's bashed and partially movie magic. Personally, the lack of high-and-straight crowns are one of the downsides of Optimo in my book, and why I consider Art Fawcett my go-to hatter. Not saying one is better than the other, as they both do top-notch work, just that Art's collection of blocks are more in line with what I'm looking for. That said, I still own two Optimo's. -M

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Well the Dillinger appears high and straight on screen, but from what I understand, that's partially the way it's bashed and partially movie magic. Personally, the lack of high-and-straight crowns are one of the downsides of Optimo in my book, and why I consider Art Fawcett my go-to hatter. Not saying one is better than the other, as they both do top-notch work, just that Art's collection of blocks are more in line with what I'm looking for. That said, I still own two Optimo's. -M

Nope, you just have to order the hat appropriately. There are both extremes of the crown height spectrum on the shelf in the store currently(Dillinger Oxblood color with matching ribbon). Website image is in between. Pointless to rehash the confused lengthy discussion. If you like a particular color combination or crease from one hat shown, but dimensions of another(or your own) simply communicate that.

Mulceber

Practically Family
That remains to be seen - I've yet to see an Optimo hat that looks like the film hat (apart from the film hat itself, obviously). But as you said, no need to rehash this. And while Graham does have tall crowns, most of the ones I've seen taper towards the top. Of course, different styles look good on different people and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not my style as much. -M

rlk

I'll Lock Up
That remains to be seen - I've yet to see an Optimo hat that looks like the film hat (apart from the film hat itself, obviously). But as you said, no need to rehash this. And while Graham does have tall crowns, most of the ones I've seen taper towards the top. Of course, different styles look good on different people and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not my style as much. -M

I have in person . See hat above for the crown shape that they do have(different creases will change the shape from various angles). If you don't like that one Art has some others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe