Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

not for the faint of heart in classy fashion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
but the fact is no man has the right to start ridiculing someones preference it shows such low class in them for it

Sure they do, it's called free speech. Let them think what they want to think and you think what you want to think. You are right that ultimately it reflects on them. So let that speak for itself and don't concern yourself with their opinion of you.

The fact that there are many "out there" that will ridicule, etc., shows it's important to be honest with people here when they ask for the collective's 2¢.
It's the end result of giving kids trophies for contributing rather than winning. It doesn't make anyone self-aware or strive to be better - everything is just "OK" so move on. It's not that way "out there" is it? If someone looks like a dope wearing something ridiculous, and they get told here nothing but compliments, inevitably they'll go out and get their emotional a**es kicked in. If you DO wear goofy things (based on contemporary societal standards) then you best be OK with the looks, remarks, and finger-pointing. And seriously, there's some pretentious peeps around. If someone new to this place were to come in without taking the time to get settled, you could point out some incredibly obnoxious behavior. There is an air of superiority with some, and maybe that's what puts others off. We need to self-reflect to see how others might interpret "us" too...

We do fine work of correcting other's fau pas here but it is done with a heavy dose of restraint. When is that last time you have seen someone called a homosexual here? :rolleyes::eusa_doh:
The public on the street is something you deal with on a day to day basis and if they want to say something to me DIRECTLY then I can deal with it but these dopes are hiding behind computers where they can say anything without my point being deliverd to their nose as I would in public. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why I hardly ever get bad comments in public---or I live ina a polite area----nah, that certainly isn't it.
I am far from the person giving anyone anything without having earned it. My son will certainly vouch for that. :p However, it is wrong and to criticize where it is not solicited and it has been stated here before---as Ma said---If you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all. :D

but the fact is no man has the right to start ridiculing someones preference it shows such low class in them for it

I agree with the last part of your statement but not necessarily the first. I don't think it's a "fact" that people don't have the "right" to ridicule others.

I wish that people wouldn't ridicule, but they do, and I try to accept that as one of those things about this world that I'll never change. Do people have that "right"? Yes, they do, within certain legal and practical limits.

It's our tendency to be all for free speech until people exercise it in a way we find offensive or otherwise disagreeable. I know that's true of me.

I agree with the last part of your statement but not necessarily the first. I don't think it's a "fact" that people don't have the "right" to ridicule others.

I wish that people wouldn't ridicule, but they do, and I try to accept that as one of those things about this world that I'll never change. Do people have that "right"? Yes, they do, within certain legal and practical limits. It's our tendency to be all for free speech until people exercise it in a way we find offensive or otherwise disagreeable.

It is not so much the speech as I have mentioned before. It is stealing pictures of our members and using them on another forum that bothers me the most. I am sure our members don't submit pictures here to be used other places as a ridicule tool. Using a private person's image without their consent is just wrong and possibly illegal. Perhaps we ought to make them pay per click. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe