Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

not for the faint of heart in classy fashion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TipTop

Practically Family
FWIW, I think the lowest common denominator at issue here is age. These guys are either college-age or wannabes cruising around beer fests in reversed baseball caps or ones covering the tops of their ears, flip flops with cargo shorts and t-shirt with a cobbed-up Sub-uru as "art." We don't make fun of their taste in cars that make more noise than horsepower, why are they so interested in our headwear?

Best thing to do is ignore them; they'll grow up...into monster Chevy pickups.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have read worse things about the Fedora Lounge on Film Noir Buff. The hateful comments there amaze me even more because Film Noir... ain't that the 40s, 50s movie genre with lots of characters wearing fedoras?

The Fedora Lounge did get some bad reviews here too. But I think they got it all wrong. Everybody loves to do the robot dance!
Friday and Saturday nights a burlesque dancer comes in, don't get too excited though. Her best routine was solely robot dance moves.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/fedora-lounge-chicago

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube;uz2jbCJXkpA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uz2jbCJXkpA[/video]

Ahhh love the Haters of the world.:)
Alan great Stetson Motor and Mario you look great.:D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Most cars have inet discussion forums nowadays. I drive one of the most popular cars in the universe - an 8th generation Honda Civic. I subscribed to the 8th Gen Civic forum just to see what was happening there. When I owned a Mini Cooper, I joined that forum, as well. The Mini forum contained, for the most part, interesting and intelligent conversation. The Civic forum, I guess due the nature of the enthusiast drivers of Si's, contains much more in the way of, let's call it 'immaturity.' Needless to say, I don't spend nearly as much much time at 8th Gen as I did at NAM (Mini forum) when I owned the Mini.

In short, I would never condemn a whole group of people on the actions of a relative few.

I will say, however, that as much as I would like to consider a Subaru as a future purchase, their radio commercials make me want to gag. Talk about portrayal as a pretentious, self-righteous bunch.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There are idiots devoted to all kinds of stuff on the Internet...

I wouldn't take this seriously: these are mostly young guys who don't realize that conforming to what they consider "normal" is just another way to avoid the risks of developing some personal style. Back in college, I had a creative writing advisor who told us that we'd never grow as writers unless we embraced "the courage of your kinks", and having the guts to wear a fedora in today's world applies. Isn't it ironic that with all the new social media and ability for like-minded folks to find each other and share their interests, and all the vast societal changes that are giving voices to the formerly sidelined and disenfranchised, the same old schoolyard conformity and need to laugh at those are different still applies so often?!?

Also ironic: I just bought a Subaru Legacy last week, and was very excited to discover that it has much more headroom than my previous car, so I'll be able to wear my Akubra Federation III while driving!

PS - I have never heard those Subaru radio commercials, but that's because I only listen to public stations like WFUV, WBGO, WKCR, etc.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
You know, this made me stumble across another thread on Film Noir Buff which solves the issue once and for all of what to call us. "Capones" is what they decided. The people have spoken, we are officially called "Capones."

These other Forums have come up before. I would say any comments I have ever gotten on my hats are positive, and although I don't like being made fun of, at this point in my life I don't really care.

By the same token, my brother-in-law drives a Subaru Outback and he wears a Tilley hat. He seems to like my Fedoras.

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
You know, this made me stumble across another thread on Film Noir Buff which solves the issue once and for all of what to call us. "Capones" is what they decided. The people have spoken, we are officially called "Capones."
I've heard people call us gold agers or bogarts lol

Interesting...it went from defending the TFL crowd to demeaning the Subi kids. I don't like 'em either, but if they were to tread over here, they'd be fairly justified in maintaining their childish opinions, wouldn't they?
Back to the original topic... anyone that wears clothing that is long out of style (for popular culture) is going to be looked at, stared at, derided, etc. Either you live with it, or just try to fit in. Making fun of those making fun of you isn't really much of an improvement...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the obvious answer (to me) to the original post is I don't care what others think of non-consequential topics or items such as how I dress. If people want to be small, then by all means, let 'em.

facade

A-List Customer
I have no intention to make anyone mad at this site for I love the classy fashion i am just showing what I was shown about peoples views on our style
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2155606
My question is why do people hate fedoras? I mean its a classy style and people have to tear us down from it... Was shown this on Facebook and made me feel quite disgusted

It doesn't have anything to do with fedoras per se. Human beings expect other human bengs to conform to the accepted norm. People outside the norm have always and will always be subject to ridicule. Dressing in a manner that does not meet the accepted norm invokes an instinctual response. One designed to either force the offending member to conform or to drive them away. We are not purely intellectual beings.

"Yes, the obvious answer (to me) to the original post is I don't care what others think of non-consequential topics or items such as how I dress. If people want to be small, then by all means, let 'em."

"It doesn't have anything to do with fedoras per se. Human beings expect other human bengs to conform to the accepted norm. People outside the norm have always and will always be subject to ridicule. Dressing in a manner that does not meet the accepted norm invokes an instinctual response. One designed to either force the offending member to conform or to drive them away. We are not purely intellectual beings."

Indeed. So **** 'em. Enjoy what you do - if you want acceptance, shop at the GAP or A&F.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Frankly, I'm a little surprised about some of the comments I've seen on this thread - and I'm not referring to the ones about the other forum.

I recall when SenatorJack had posted a photo of his plaid evening jacket (similar photo posted below), he was heckled by fellow loungers. In retrospect, I certainly couldn't pull off a jacket like that but it seemed in bad taste to jeer.

I've handeled a few loud suits and jackets from the early and mid 1940's, and they weren't anything I would likely wear. Yet, they were celebratory, they were loud on purpose, there is a history to those designs. More importantly, it takes a lot of courage to take a photo of one's self in those jackets/suits and post them online.

Fine; a bunch of kids who call each other "bro" and throw petulant homosexuality jokes at one another end up stumbling across the Lounge and "flame" us on their cool-kids-only car forum - what's new?

But to see fellow loungers jump in, even if it is to face-palm or shake one's head...it hurts a little. I'm not in any of those pictures, but these are my friends, this is our community.

As far as I'm concerned, threads like this, while possibly well intentioned, are part of the static that some of us already have to deal with every day. Perhaps a moderator ought to just close this one down as it serves little purpose to the FL cause.

black-watch.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Meh, whatever. These things happen... so they don't 'get' vintage (readily abundant in referring to this as a "fashion" forum, and their comments on db suits being "fifteen years" out of fashion). Can't say I care one way or the other. [huh]

I have read worse things about the Fedora Lounge on Film Noir Buff. The hateful comments there amaze me even more because Film Noir... ain't that the 40s, 50s movie genre with lots of characters wearing fedoras?

AFAIK, that site (and, for whatever it's worth, every other site on which I've seen this sort of thing, bar the Subaru kids) was started by an ex-FL member. Draw your own conclusions from that; mostly from what I see they're either folks who were booted out of the lounge or left it in a huff because they thought they were too cool for it. Fair enough, really - the web's big enough for everybody's tastes to be accommodated, and if you don't like one site there's plenty of space to go and set up your own. The ones that I don't get are those who can't let it go and have to bang on about how much they dislike this place, or how much cooler they are. Seems a bit of a waste of their own time, really. Especially bizarre when it's folks who still are active here gonig on those other sites and banging on about the "dorks" here and how they're too cool for the FL... Seems rather a sad waste of their own time if they dislike it here that much. Still, horses for courses, eh? :)

Fine; a bunch of kids who call each other "bro" and throw petulant homosexuality jokes at one another end up stumbling across the Lounge and "flame" us on their cool-kids-only car forum - what's new?

Quite honestly, the rampant homophobia was the only thing i really thought worth taking offence at. Also speaks volumes as to the smallness of the minds being dealt with. [huh]

Well, it brings up another related point I guess...
People often post up photos of themselves - either to show off their hair, clothing, makeup, whatever. My feelings are if you ASK for opinions, you should be willing to take the (tastefully presented) bad with the good. If I love something I buy, and post it up, I always ask for opinions on fit etc. It's not always what I want to hear, but I want to know (sometimes) what others think. If I merely post a pic of something (Me) then I'm not asking for opinions. I see lots of pics (and surely I'm included in this) where someone asks "How do I/this look?" and the usual replies are "Awesome - lovely - hot - wonderful - perfect". Well, often times, it doesn't look like that. Not everyone looks good in a Fedora, or a Zoot Suit, or a reproduction WWII jacket. I'd rather have someone say "Scott, that's not right for you - your build is not flattered by it." or, "Scott, that hat's just not what I see you wearing man..."
It might sting - it probably almost always does - but just like I rely on my wife for such honest retorts, I expect it (and get it) here. It's a fine line for sure, but to me, it's a better way to go. :)

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Or occasionally someone might honestly observe that it's just a plain old ugly hat. I generally stick to the "if you can't say something good..." principle but it's fair play when asked to be politely honest. Nothing in the world wrong with simply saying "I don't think that hat [suit, etc.] looks good at all".

Frankly, I'm a little surprised about some of the comments I've seen on this thread - and I'm not referring to the ones about the other forum.

I recall when SenatorJack had posted a photo of his plaid evening jacket (similar photo posted below), he was heckled by fellow loungers. In retrospect, I certainly couldn't pull off a jacket like that but it seemed in bad taste to jeer.

I've handeled a few loud suits and jackets from the early and mid 1940's, and they weren't anything I would likely wear. Yet, they were celebratory, they were loud on purpose, there is a history to those designs. More importantly, it takes a lot of courage to take a photo of one's self in those jackets/suits and post them online.

But to see fellow loungers jump in, even if it is to face-palm or shake one's head...it hurts a little. I'm not in any of those pictures, but these are my friends, this is our community.

As far as I'm concerned, threads like this, while possibly well intentioned, are part of the static that some of us already have to deal with every day. Perhaps a moderator ought to just close this one down as it serves little purpose to the FL cause.

black-watch.jpg

The response here to the dufus forum is quite a simple principle that has been around for quite q while:
If you sow the wind you can expect to reap the whirlwind. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe