Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

**NEWS EXTRA**Good Wear flying jackets take vintage authenticity to new heights!!

CR141

Familiar Face
I just received this 27752 from John and he did an outstanding job on it. I hope you enjoy the pics.
RWfrontflat.jpg

RWBackflat.jpg

RWlabelStamp.jpg

RWpocketflap.jpg

RWpockettag.jpg

RWEpaulet.jpg

RWzipperbox.jpg

RWFront1.jpg
RWBack.jpg

That's an amazing looking jacket. John really is a master craftsman. I have two jackets, a Dubow 27798 and a Security Aviation Togs. and they are both marvelous.

D

Deleted member 16736

Help with GW Order

Hi, I'm giving John my final order in the next few days (I'm 3rd or 4th in line), and I gave my initial order in late January just before he stopped accepting orders, so that's good news for the rest of you guys. Anyway, I'm choosing the Dubow 27798 with dull purple knits and I've narrowed down my choices to ONLY three types of leather: seal brown aniline, semi-aniline russet, and dark pigment russet. If anybody has experience with these hides and can make a recommendation, I'd appreciate it. Of course, I'll be discussing it with John directly, but if I could get opinions from actual users, that would be great too.

Here is the seal brown:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwdubow_images6.html

Semi-aniline russet:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Dubow27798_No4_46/Dubow_27798_46.jpg

And finally, pigment dark brown (in a United Sheeplined):

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_united_0001.html

Right now, I'm leaning to the dark pigment. I want a darker shade to offset the light knit, and I the pigment brown looks like an original Dubow I saw that I liked. I'd appreciate any feedback on how these leather choices wear in real life. I want grain and patina but without a lot of fading. Thank you, and please wish me luck!

Peacoat

Bartender
All three look good to me. It comes down to wearer preference. The semi-aniline russet is a bit lighter than it appears in the photograph--if it is the same batch of hides he has been using for a while. I think your leaning toward the dark pigment is a good choice.

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks for the feedback. That's the kind of actual user experience I was hoping to hear, especially since I never saw the semi-aniline. Again, much appreciated.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hi Joel,
I have no experience with any of Chapman's jackets, but going by the pictures alone, I would vote for the seal brown (the first link), which I think would give you the contrast you are looking for, as well as a standout hide. Nonetheless, I am sure you will be happy with any of the hides from Chapman.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I have the seal brown with berry colored knits and olive drab thread and I am very pleased with that combination. The leather develops character fairly quickly and is comfortable to wear.

D

Deleted member 16736

I have the seal brown with berry colored knits and olive drab thread and I am very pleased with that combination. The leather develops character fairly quickly and is comfortable to wear.

Thanks. Do you happen to have a picture of the jacket?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My 2011 Dubow is also made from the veg tanned aniline dyed seal hh and I can attest to the developing character of the leather over the last three months. There are pics of it in the long GW thread. I have owned a GW jacket made from the semi-aniline dyed/spray finished leather and personally prefer the Japanese finished pure aniline hh.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-vintage-authenticity-to-new-heights!!/page60

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks, Andrew. I like the way yours has started breaking in. By the way, your email box was full.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Joel, the most recent pic of mine is posted on the News Extra Goodwear thread on page 62. Not close up detail but you can see the colors and how it is breaking in. If you want to see it when it was new, go to the Goodwear site Customers Wearing section. It is listed there as the 21996, which he has apparently discontinued making. Those pics are fairly clear.

D

Deleted member 16736

Effie/Andrew: do your jackets squeak? John sent me a sample jacket in that leather and it squeaked.

CBI

One Too Many
all great choices. I would go with the Seal Brown Aniline - Looks the coolest from my perspective and ages really well. This is from a guy (me) who has owned 14 Good Wears!

D

Deleted member 16736

all great choices. I would go with the Seal Brown Aniline - Looks the coolest from my perspective and ages really well. This is from a guy (me) who has owned 14 Good Wears!

14??!!?? That's a record. Do you ever get to wear them all? I'm afraid to ask how many Aero's you have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth