Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a leather jacket & shorts a fashion faux pas?

dapperdon1

New in Town
Hi FL,

Like many here, I’m just trying to find more opportunities to wear my leather jackets, but it’s still too hot out to pair with jeans.

What are your thoughts on wearing leather jackets with shorts?

mumpy

A-List Customer
Hi FL,

Like many here, I’m just trying to find more opportunities to wear my leather jackets, but it’s still too hot out to pair with jeans.

What are your thoughts on wearing leather jackets with shorts?
Pair it with denim or some waxed canvas jacket, or just a shirt if possible. It is all subjective but for me leather jackets and shorts or shorts and boots looks pretty horrible.

Instead of jeans, try some thinner fatigue trousers or similar. Even linen trousers can be paired with some leather jackets.

I would assume this combo would only work in the evening if you are outside otherwise you will be too warm.

Also some leather jackets work better in warmer climate like for example the Mister Freedom unlined jackets.

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Towards the beginning of summer, there was a discussion about shorts over on the WJAYWT thread. I personally like shorts very much and find they can absolutely be quite stylish, even when paired with a felt hat. I do, however, find it difficult to think of a quality leather jacket that would be thin enough to wear with shorts.

I mentioned the WJAYWT thread because one member @4444Design posted this great photo of shorts paired with a nylon Buzz Rickson. I like this look very much and would not object even if the jacket were leather.

IMG_3833.jpeg

Here is the page with that post - you’ll have to scroll down a bit.

mumpy

A-List Customer
Towards the beginning of summer, there was a discussion about shorts over on the WJAYWT thread. I personally like shorts very much and find they can absolutely be quite stylish, even when paired with a felt hat. I do, however, find it difficult to think of a quality leather jacket that would be thin enough to wear with shorts.

I mentioned the WJAYWT thread because one member @4444Design posted this great photo of shorts paired with a nylon Buzz Rickson. I like this look very much and would not object even if the jacket were leather.

View attachment 638073

Here is the page with that post - you’ll have to scroll down a bit.

It is subjective but to me looks way too top heavy.

Randomuser

New in Town
Unless your under the age of 30 OR doing sports OR chilling at the poolside, shorts are a no-go regardless of what else you wear.

Must be regional. Here in Canada 99 percent of people wear shorts in summer. The other one percent of people are either old men or trying to hide chicken legs.

OP - it can work, but I’m curious which temperature range facilitates the need for a jacket but not pants.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Must be regional. Here in Canada 99 percent of people wear shorts in summer. The other one percent of people are either old men or trying to hide chicken legs.

OP - it can work, but I’m curious which temperature range facilitates the need for a jacket but not pants.

Haha, do count me in both categories… :D.

I should have included a smiley in my original comment. I am not telling anybody what (not) to wear. I am not a shorts guy by any means, but to each their own, of course.

If it’s too warm for pants there is no need for a leather jacket (or any jacket). It’s not so much a faux pas as it is just plain ridiculous looking IMO and unnecessary. It’s outerwear, not a shirt.

That said there are people here in Chicago who wear shorts all year round, paired with some stupid looking puffer jacket. They look like fools. I’m also very much anti-shorts. Not because I have chicken legs but do I need my hairy gams on display? Certainly not.

Yango

One of the Regulars
Leather jacket, shorts and a tuque. Especially when the temperature is hovering around 100°f, and 90% humidity!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I remember my Gen Xer classmates in the early 90s wearing jeans, combat boots and leather jackets to school, usually with a flannel shirt tied around their waist. The jacket was always a black crosszip…. I don’t remember it any other way.

That looked fine to me back then, and after some quick internet searches I have to admit that I see tons of ways to make shorts and leather jackets attractive to me still today.

This works for me:
IMG_3844.jpeg

This works for me:
IMG_3845.jpeg

And yes, even this works for me (I see folks reaching for the ignore button now, but this guy looks great in this outfit. I wouldn’t look good in it, but he does):
IMG_3843.jpeg

In fact, now I’m completely sold on shorts and any kind of jacket. I don’t see any reason fashion needs to be restrained.

For example, I love these shots of both old and young in shorts and blazers:
IMG_3839.jpeg

IMG_3840.jpeg

IMG_3841.jpeg

And regarding shorts and jackets in general, I present my final argument - and here I rest my case.
IMG_3842.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1