Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats on TV

milandro

A-List Customer
Interestingly the ORIGINAL homburg ( Made by Möckel in Bad Homburg, hence the name) looked very different in the beginning of its era and indeed like the one used in the TV program

1704033346115.png

Only later took a different shape (and size, see how small the early ones are!)

1704033430788.png

Last edited:
The wife and I have just started the second series of "Dark Winds" based on Tony Hillerman's novels about Navajo Tribal Police. The lead character Joe Leaphorn has a great smaller brim Western with a ribboned brim that looks like an OR or OR clone. Anyone have any ideas what it is or who made it?

The wife and I have just started the second series of "Dark Winds" based on Tony Hillerman's novels about Navajo Tribal Police. The lead character Joe Leaphorn has a great smaller brim Western with a ribboned brim that looks like an OR or OR clone. Anyone have any ideas what it is or who made it?
Big fan of the show, Perry and I've wondered about the hat myself. I haven't found anything online outside of other discussions about what it may be. With the bound brim and the blocking I think OR/clone with a leather band is a safe bet.

Big fan of the show, Perry and I've wondered about the hat myself. I haven't found anything online outside of other discussions about what it may be. With the bound brim and the blocking I think OR/clone with a leather band is a safe bet.
THanks Greg. That's what I had thought also. I keep trying to peak inside the brim when it's upturned to see some kind of label. I have seen some good OR clones from custom makers which would fit the bill as well.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
THanks Greg. That's what I had thought also. I keep trying to peak inside the brim when it's upturned to see some kind of label. I have seen some good OR clones from custom makers which would fit the bill as well.
I been peekin since the first show too. Never got a glimpse of it’s innards.
Gotta say tho, the guy sure wears it well and it suits him.
B

Edward

Bartender
Interestingly the ORIGINAL homburg ( Made by Möckel in Bad Homburg, hence the name) looked very different in the beginning of its era and indeed like the one used in the TV program

View attachment 575653

Only later took a different shape (and size, see how small the early ones are!)

View attachment 575656

Yes, the crown on the original, German hats always looks to me much more derived from something like a Tyrolean / Alpine felt hat, this sort of thing -
1724956117352.png

Which as a rule always seem to me to be markedly more tapered than a fedora or trilby. The English homburg as we now know it always put me in mind of an English hatter - with or without sight of one of the originals, saying "Right, it's basically a bowler brim with a soft felt crown....", and working with his own tools to create that mix. Not unlike how Chinese food sold in the West can rather vary in terms of relative resemblance of what I actually eat in local places when I'm visiting Beijing for work.

I suspect too there was also an element of evolution of the style at work in terms of timing, bearing in mind that menswear generally evolved somewhat from the them PoW / future Edward VII's adoption of the style in the 1890s to Eden's day. Notably,. the former may have first popularised it in England, but older people here today will still habitually refer to a homburg as "an Anthony Eden", despite arguable the style being more readily visually associated with his immediate predecessor, Churchill, to younger folks, even if they don't know the name of it. Funny how these things change over time. (And location.... in Ireland it's probably much more readily associated with Michael Collins, who, prior to becoming General Collins of the Free State Army in 1922 and making most of his public appearances for the short remainder of his life thereafter in uniform, was commonly photographed wearing either a homburg or a Lord's Hat, both of which he favoured.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton