Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a leather jacket & shorts a fashion faux pas?

Leather_nube

Familiar Face
I no longer desire to wear anything that's worn primarily by children. Men's "fashion" has been a disaster for a long while now but these last few years, things have never been worse. Having finally mustered enough courage to incorporate color into clothes, every single guy is nowadays dressed exactly like a toddler: Brightly colored T-shirts (with pictures and words), shorts and "sneakers" that could hardly look any more unhinged in terms of color and details.

I've been reading about this study that correlates mental well being with clothes which determined that being badly dressed is not merely a reflection of ones mental health but rather that having only bad clothes to wear is detrimental to ones mind.

Men are victims of a systematic (and successful) brainwashing of how to dress. We don't have a clue how to do wear clothes. There are barely any actual options out there - I mean, wearing a leather jacket and a pair of jeans is nowadays considered a "fashion statement" and an "alternative style", worthy of an entire forum - and what little there is, makes one "stand out" which most people can't deal with.
That wouldn't have been in issue if clothes didn't become utter trash undignified of a human being so what we're having now is millions of men, all wearing the exact same clothes that had degraded to the lowest possible point of quality and workmanship, available in basically unlimited quantities.

What I'm saying here... I don't know what I'm saying but wearing shorts doesn't really help. At all.
That was good enough to read twice!

So, just for fun, a photo especially for this thread with my only shorts (board shorts and leather trousers excluded) that I own. :D

I almost melted in the minute it took to take the photo. And it's not a visual highlight either. I prefer leather jackets with long trousers lol

View attachment 638288

I don't normally wear shorts in the city, but I did the other day on a city trip because it was incredibly hot with high humidity and my long trousers were all too thick.
So this was my outfit, but without the leather jacket.

View attachment 638293

Finally a photo (the one with the jacket) where you look less than stellar. lol. It took years.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the only way I can do shorts, and only for very casual sporting/leisure events. By that stage here it's 95 degrees, so I don't even want to think about a leather jacket!

Laurence-Fellows-Apparel-Arts-Summer-Style-Plaid-Shirt.jpg

bigmanbigtruck

A-List Customer
I just can't do jackets and shorts.
No offense to other members who go out like that sometimes, but they're like chalk and cheese to me.
If it's really too hot for jeans/pants, I don't see why I'd prefer to boil my upper body instead.

In general, the only times I wear shorts outside are:
1) Gym or if I expect to do something active
2) Beach/Pool
3) Quick trip to the bodega around the corner

I see so many kids walking around with a pair of timbs, shorts and a hoodie or puffer jacket - that's all that comes to mind when I think of mixing shorts and jackets in general… looks juvenile

1725845048604.png

Last edited:

hardlyworkingman

Familiar Face
when i was young (and dumb) i rode motorcycles with leather jacket and shorts in summer. besides that i can't think of any other time i found a use for leather jacket with shorts.

Now i pretty much stick to shorts + waxed canvas, denim, down, wool jackets as long as the weather is between 45-75.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Do you think so? I mean, it's more diverse than ever. Ultimately, everyone can wear what they want and no one will mind. And I would say that the masses don't give the slightest thought to what they wear anyway.

Agreed. The challenge we face culturally today is not more restriction but rather almost limitless possibility. There is no fashion authority anymore: there are fashion authorities (plural), but they are infinite in number since anyone can become one via YouTube and social media. There is also no all-dominating fashion trend anymore. The last one I can remember was Grunge. Today there are trends - but a huge number of them and none are authoritative in the way they were when I was coming up (when I experienced New Wave followed by Grunge).

It’s the same in music, television, film, literature, etc. Since the new millennium, we have seen an explosion of possibilities. Hell, men can wear women’s clothes, makeup, etc. but we can also wear jeans and a white t and a leather jacket. And I don’t mean just to the disco - we can literally wear dresses to the office, to dinner with the boss, etc. or we can wear jeans and a white t with our tats hanging out… or a vintage suit or a designer suit or shorts and a bow tie or whatever the hell.

Last edited:

TartuWolf

One Too Many
Big no no for me, although a denim jacket seems fine with shorts for some reason. Obviously more suitable for warm weather in terms of warmth, but also fits much better in terms of looks as well.
This thread got me desperately looking around for pictures of shorts that look less "not cool" and I found this pic.
1725877586637.png

Reminds me of a pair of cargo pants that I used to wear like that (tied below the kness).
So kind of a semi-shorts look that I actually like much better than actual shorts.
Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1