Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instruments - what do you play?

Shimmy Sally

I am/was a fiddler/gutter violinist. I haven't been playing lately, partly due to a previous injury. I can't even snap my fingers on my left hand again yet. I'm being urged to get back to working on it though. Not on my list of priorities.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Fletch said:
3 trumpets
4 saxophones
2 violins
2 pianos
guitar
accordion
standup bass
drum set

All we need is a trombone player and we'll have a full dance orchestra!
Doh! I can't believe you forgot the bassoonists! OK, I don't know if they are in a full dance orchestra but what is an orchestra without the bassoonist?

moustache

Practically Family
I can take care of that!

Marc Chevalier said:
Yes, and we're sorely lacking a tuba player!

No self-respecting '20s dance orchestra would have been without a tuba.

Tuba and sousaphone were my specialty in middle/high school!!!
I can offer those services!

JD

max the cat

Familiar Face
misc inst. in dance orch

Barbigirl said:
Doh! I can't believe you forgot the bassoonists! OK, I don't know if they are in a full dance orchestra but what is an orchestra without the bassoonist?

yes Fletch left out bassoons and cello--like Moustache I doubled sousaphone in high school-but for my part not well-
frequently in a 20s dance orch players had to play well on both bass and tuba --seems to me Ben Pollack added 2 vln and cello to usual line up of 3/2/1/4- which can be seen in Vitaphone short--(my Kinda Love ??) w/ Goodman and Tea. as for unusual woodwind doubles w/Pollock -appears Goodman doubled oboe and Rodin flute although picture has Goodman goofing w/flute.

moustache

Practically Family
And...

max the cat said:
yes Fletch left out bassoons and cello--like Moustache I doubled sousaphone in high school-but for my part not well-
frequently in a 20s dance orch players had to play well on both bass and tuba --seems to me Ben Pollack added 2 vln and cello to usual line up of 3/2/1/4- which can be seen in Vitaphone short--(my Kinda Love ??) w/ Goodman and Tea. as for unusual woodwind doubles w/Pollock -appears Goodman doubled oboe and Rodin flute although picture has Goodman goofing w/flute.

One can always use the baritone scored with lower register.A lot easier to carry/transport and a much mellower sound in my opinion.

JD

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes, and we're sorely lacking a tuba player!

No self-respecting '20s dance orchestra would have been without a tuba.

...tuba here! page one:D
...or I can play spoons like Curly.

matei

One Too Many
I play the guitar. I've played since I was about 11 years old. In another phase of my life (which seems like another life altogether) I was in a rock band, with all that entails... funny clothing, late nights, bad hearing, big bus that broke down a lot, dodgy managers... but I digress!

I also play bass and sing, the latter because it was very hard to find singers without "Lead Singers Syndrome".

I'm starting to get back into playing and recording ideas on my new Mac, but I really have to push myself. I've got to be really inspired to put something down.

I like anything that has a good hook - if it has good guitar, even better!

Speaking of guitar... yer man who was playing in the band on the QM was quite good. I'd love to find some resources on that chordal style of playing, it is totally foreign to me.

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
Piano. I have an old Gulbransen self player upright made in Chicago -- no specific year, but I'm pretty sure it was made in the early 20s. An old fool previous owner tore the self player out, I was told by the Tuner from whom it was purchased, because he couldn't figure out how to tune the piano around the hardware. I'm still furious to this day about that.

My uncle gave me an accordion over the summer, but I haven't had the chance to give it much of a shot due to a wrist surgery (the day after I received it).

I'm fiddling around on the mandolin (no pun intended), but I have fat fingers so it's a bit of a workout.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Just the one trombone? My Dance Band has at least 4 at any one time, and 6 in total.
However, we are rich in trombones. Most bands stuggle to get one.
Sadly my band leader also insists on massive amplification for all instruments - however often I point out that the combination was invented to operate *without* amplification.
So, when do we rehearse? Tottie (Trumpet)

Phil

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic: But...

Speaking of amplification, apparently our music department spent $1,000 on 5 French Horn (which has yet to be mentioned, or I missed it) sound reflectors. now these aren't anything special. I can't find a picture online, but the refelctors are about a foot tall and a foot and a half wide. It consists of two 1/4" diamater pipes bent at a 45 degree angle and have a sheet of plexiglass attached to them. Now, unless these are some magical refelctors that can carry the horn's sound out to the parking lot, I could have made those for so much less.
I think the moral that gives is, don't play an instrtument and expect to keep money in your pocket.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I played the clarinet years ago in high school. I have a banjo I take out of the bag from time to time just to look at.:)

rockyj

One of the Regulars
The bagpipes of course.

Started when I was 40 years old. Up until then never played a musical instrument. Always wanted to play something but was to scared:eek: Don't have the fast fingers of the younger pipers and it has taken many years to be just O.K at it. But, am having fun:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth