Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instruments - what do you play?

olive bleu

One Too Many
Do the spoons count?

I dabble.

I never learned to read music, but my father taught me to play guitar by ear.I never really kept it up, so i never really became very good.

About 10 years ago, i bought a clarinet because i was obsessed with Benny Goodman.In fact i was so desperate to buy this clarinet that i saw in the classified section of our local paper, that i decided to take on a second job.I found a job delivering telephone books, killed the transmission in my van doing it:D

I bought some "TEach yourself to play" books, taught myself a few things and put it away in my closet.

Now my 11-year-old has decided to play the clarinet in band this year, si guess sacrificing my vehicle was not a TOTAL waste!:)

Rosie

One Too Many
I played the recorder for years, I played the piano for a bit of time but didn't like it much. When I was about 13 I BEGGED my parents to get me a guitar, I played for about 8 years off and on now it's just decoration.

My thing as a kid was drawing and dancing, I put a lot more effort into that.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
You know what George Burns said when someone asked if he could play the violin: "I don't know, I never tried."

I found the recorder pretty easy to play and they don't cost much.

That's true, I was just pricing them on amazon. I may have to do that.

I really want to play the banjo, because I really like country music, in particular that cheerful banjo sound.

Also, I cannot think of an easier way to irritate some friends of mine. My younger brother helpfully offered to help me find an accordian player and a bagpiper so that I could "help start the world's most annoying band." lol :D

Viola

funneman

Practically Family
Guitar and Mandolin

I've played guitar for about thirty-five years. Mando for about five.

I once played inside Dolphin Stadium in Miami opening for Johnny Rivers, the Four Tops, Paul Revere and the Raiders and the Everly Brothers.

Once opened for Chuck Berry and Little Richard too!

Haversack

One Too Many
Well, back when California public schools still had music programs in elemantary school, I played violin from 4th to 7th grades. I switched to choir in 8th and kept with it through twelfth. There was also a year of piano shoehorned in there as well. When I went off to college, I took an old recorder I had been given years before and taught myself to play it. I've continued with it and have also added the alto krummhorn and the rauschpfeif. I also have a concertina but have never mentaly figured out how to play music by chords.

Haversack.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
The jew's harp and the washboard. Doesn't everyone?

Its called the Person-of-Middle-Eastern-descent harp now, Marc. ;)

Seriously, isn't that a kazoo?

Viola

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
My younger brother helpfully offered to help me find an accordian player and a bagpiper so that I could "help start the world's most annoying band." lol :D

Viola

My parents have a home movie of a parade with a whole band of accordian players. In Wyoming. [huh]

olive bleu

One Too Many
herringbonekid said:
i've been playing accordion for about a year and a half. sounds sweet.

OOOH! I forgot about that one.I play the accordian, too! LOve it:) MIne is quite old, belonged to my Dad. really needs some repairs but there is no one in town that can repair it, I would have to send it away, and i am scared! What kind of music do you play?

olive bleu

One Too Many
Ha, Ha.. I understand.. I don't read music, either. I play by ear, which makes it hard sometimes, but i love just making up tunes, too! I play mostly irish, scottish folk songs.or things that i think sound like that!:)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Herringbonekid as a young 'un (at right)?

accordion57.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First of all "my brother's barbequeing meat in the fireplace again mother while wearing cowboy boooooooooooooootssssssss" is one of the all time classics.

Second, I play the flute, piccolo, and piano. Sing, too. For flute and voice I actually used to win awards and perform at weddings and things. Now I haven't taken the flute out if its case for about a year. Pity. [huh]

Zach R.

Practically Family
I'm looking into getting my first electric guitar as soon as I make up my mind, any suggestions for a beginner?

I was looking at the Standard Telecaster, or a standard Epiphone Les Paul, but I'm not sure what I want, really.

I'm going to be playing your standard rock(Queen, etc), some funk, and some newer alternative/punk on it, so I need something pretty versatile, if that helps narrow my selection a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88