Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instruments - what do you play?

Kim_B

Practically Family
Tried the clarinet, I was horrible. The instructors in middle school band wanted me to play percussion, but I didn't think I was coordinated enough. So I took up the flute; I remember the first week I'd hyperventilate every time I practiced - I just couldn't get the breathing right! I was in marching band in high school - I loved it. After high school, I grew lax with playing and recently picked it up again. I missed it!

I always wanted to play piano, and the guitar. I have no patience to learn anything, so I will stick with the flute!

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
I used to play the sax in high school (tenor and baritone).

I now have a violin that I'm trying to teach myself to play. If my life would settle down, I might have a chance, too!

-Jake

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Instruments... and hello

Seems as good a place to introduce myself as any... In an effort to keep the 1930s in as much as my life as possible, albeit not in entirely ladylike fashion, I play the trumpet in a Big Band in my spare time. Although, they do occasionally force me to play 'Beatles' numbers... They have yet to see the light.

Anyway, very glad to be part of the Fedora Lounge. I look forward to spending more time with you all,
Tottie (from England)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're welcome, TOTTIE! I play guitar and sing. My Washburn electric is from the 70s, bought by me in1988 after I got home from staying in Boston with members of The Blake Babies and The Lemonheads. I said if those imbeciles can play guitar, so can I. I was right. The one I play every day is a Gibson Epiphone acoustic electric which is so loud I have never plugged it in. It was purchased new as a gift from my Daddy in 1997 and is cost more than any of the cars I have owned even with the good deal I got on it. The Steinway is at my brother's in Tennessee so I play the Wurlitzer upright piano, or a Casio. I was given a very old Kawai as a lovely parting gift also in 1997 but have yet to sell it. We had an Allen organ with Lesley speakers in our living and dining rooms but my dad gave them away without asking me, dang it, I loved playing that. I haven't played my mandolin in years.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
TOTTIE said:
Seems as good a place to introduce myself as any... In an effort to keep the 1930s in as much as my life as possible, albeit not in entirely ladylike fashion, I play the trumpet in a Big Band in my spare time. Although, they do occasionally force me to play 'Beatles' numbers... They have yet to see the light.

Anyway, very glad to be part of the Fedora Lounge. I look forward to spending more time with you all,
Tottie (from England)

Hello Tottie and WELCOME!

panamag8or

Practically Family
Feraud said:
No percussionists on the board?
I dabble a bit..

Right here... I posted about it upthread.

I, too, tap on stuff all the time, and it's been 20 years since I was in band.

warbird

One Too Many
Played piano for several years and guitar for 20. Doesn't everybody in NAshville play the guitar? It seems like it sometimes.

Anyway after 20 years on the guitar I had to give it up. The arthritis set in my hands after breaking my fingers quite a few times racing motorcycles. My skills diminished no matter how much I played so I gave it up.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Alto sax in grammar school, still have my Dad's Alto, Tenor and bent Soprano. Drums in High School and beyond, too many bands and too many gigs. Still have my original Ludwigs from '66, in cases in my studio. Might dig them out and bash away a bit, annoy the neighbors........
Quit playing when I met my wife, a professional keyboard player, she's the musician in the family now.

SGB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth