Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

By the way I noticed my Hut Siedel Mayser has a full loop back bow. This came up in the Optimo thread a couple of days ago. Just thought I would make note of it since this was a factory made hat with fantastic detail work atlhough made in West Germany.

5579734135_23ee456268_b.jpg

Here is the liner and sweatband.

5224026915_cf89140904_b.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks!

If it is this one its fur felt. It does have a nice curl but not the Homburg smile. :)

http://hatshopping.com/Felt__outdoor/Fur_Felt_Homburg_by_Mayser.htm

I don't have any modern Mayser Homburgs. The special Mayser Hut Seidel above was made in 1958 and has some of the best detail work in my collection.

I have a modern fur felt Mayser City Finale and it is very nicely made (one of the better modern production hats I have encountered) although most people on here wouldn't like the blocking.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/3-mayser-hutfabrik/page__view__findpost__p__211

yes-- almost identical to that one. here's the site I came across. I really like the look of it, and I bet it would smile more if long-ovalified.
http://www.hut-kaufen.de/Marken/Mayser/HOMBURGER-Kaninhaar-Filzhut-von-Mayser?c=187

as for the other link-- it looks very nicely blocked to me. Is it the taper that most TFL folks wouldn't approve of?

fmw

One Too Many
Mayser, I dub thee Homburg champion of FL. Sorry Billy. You were right. Amazing collection. I like the upper right one as well.

yes-- almost identical to that one. here's the site I came across. I really like the look of it, and I bet it would smile more if long-ovalified.
http://www.hut-kaufen.de/Marken/Mayser/HOMBURGER-Kaninhaar-Filzhut-von-Mayser?c=187

as for the other link-- it looks very nicely blocked to me. Is it the taper that most TFL folks wouldn't approve of?

Kanin is rabbit so it's fur felt. I like the goldish ribbon. You might be able to get some more curve with steam although the flat look is nice too. 99 Euro is about $140.00 at the current exchange rate so not a bad deal.

Yes the taper and shorter crown height. Also most on here want open crowns so they can easily make their own crease and side dents.

Last edited:

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Since vintage homburgs are hard to find right now for my big head, I'm considering a Beaver Brand "Deluxe FurFelt". What is the shape and style of the brim? I prefer the flatter brims with a gentle curve. Is the Beaver Brand like this or more of the drastic V shape? Any help will be good. Thanks ya'll

I haven't seen a modern production Homburg match a vintage one. It is a similar situation to modern Bowlers regarding brim curl and binding material/workmanship. I think Optimo might do a nice job (never seen one) but then you are entering the custom arena. What size? I think you have a pretty good chance of finding a larger size vintage Homburg.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm not technically a member of the Homburg Nation anymore, having converted mine into a fedora, but...

That has got to be the most impressive collection of homburgs, let alone hats, I've seen. I'm sure that you have more, with regard to fedoras, too. I especially like the middle one in the third row, the one with the wider ribbon and tan color.

HatsEnough

Banned
I only have 2 Homburgs and if it weren't for how interesting the second one is I'd probably only have the one (to serve as an example in my collection).

The first Homburg (and what I thought would be my only one) is a typical Stetson St. Regis from the 1950s. It is in pristine condition, but I can't wear it. It looks horrible on me. Brim is way too small.

scaled.php

scaled.php

I did end up getting a second one, though. And this one is one I will wear. It is a wide brimmed Homburg from the 1930s. The tag says 6-7/8 but it is much larger than that!

It is made by the Schenley hat company and it really is in beautiful shape.

scaled.php

scaled.php

It looks just like the wider brimmed, westernized Homburg that Tim Olyphant wore in Deadwood in my opinion.

deadwood.jpg

I'm not technically a member of the Homburg Nation anymore, having converted mine into a fedora, but...

That has got to be the most impressive collection of homburgs, let alone hats, I've seen. I'm sure that you have more, with regard to fedoras, too. I especially like the middle one in the third row, the one with the wider ribbon and tan color.

Thanks! I actually have a couple more since the last update. The one you like is a late 1950s Stetson made by Mayser under license. At present my favorite is the Nagy which is seven rows down / center. The felt finish and color are really fantastic / unique on that one.

Last edited:
Thanks! What size? If you are <= 59cm you shouldn't have any problem finding vintage lighter colored Homburgs (see USA/UK/German/French eBay).

Here is one I haven't posted yet on this thread.

Fausto Mutinelli

5621396613_16ae7864bb_b.jpg

5621984888_62e0163f8e_b.jpg

5621397771_50d98cf8c3_b.jpg

5621398339_9165235c0e_b.jpg

5621398903_d83f443c07_b.jpg

5621399421_950f8051c6_b.jpg

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
Wow another beauty. I especially like the brim curl on that one. I'm a 59 and I only recently found my favourite hat on ebay - a light grey Lock & Co (a lot like yours) which I love, but Lock's don't have quite enough curl on the brim for my liking. Your one looks perfect. I'm infinitely fussy about my hats and I'm starting to think there's no such thing as the perfect hat. But my quest to find it continues...

Mayserwegener, you have the best collection of homburgs I've ever seen.

I probably have the most but others have some fine ones too. This latest one is actually a big 60cm. I think you can easily find a size 59cm vintage one in a lighter color.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen a modern production Homburg match a vintage one. It is a similar situation to modern Bowlers regarding brim curl and binding material/workmanship. I think Optimo might do a nice job (never seen one) but then you are entering the custom arena. What size? I think you have a pretty good chance of finding a larger size vintage Homburg.

Depending on the hat I am anywhere from a 60 (71/2) to 61(75/8). I check eBay daily and right now it's saturated with size 7's. Can you point out some affordable (150-200) custom makers, if they exist.

I will keep an eye out for a larger one. I mostly collect German and Austrian makes. I haven't seen any custom Homburgs but the Optimo photos look nice but they are out of your price range.

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
Looks great! Is it early - mid 1960s?

No actually it's only 1993 but it still has that vintage hand made quality. I bought it on ebay, I think it was unsold stock as there were 2 others identical and they had never been worn. The seller advertised them as wool so no collectors spotted it! I only paid $49.99US each. I'm so glad none of you noticed because I've been pining for a light grey for about 10 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe