Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
That's right, I kinda like the way you can tell it's hand made. However none of my vintage homburgs look like that. How long ago did they start machine stitching the binding?

It doesn't look like a hand stitch to me but a close-up would help. I have some very old hats with machine stitched bindings. I would think it goes back to when mechanized hat making started (mid 1800s).

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Steve and mercuryfelt: Some really nice burgs, there! I'm still trying to find a cheap deal on a mint one. All of mine (maybe 4 in all) have some sort of issue, be it a stained ribbon or mothing, etc. You're making me want to send a few for a little restoration!

Thanks! You will find one if you keep looking (antique malls too). In general Homburgs were not worn as much so you can find really pristine examples at good prices.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegner,
was watching David Souchet as Poirot on the tube last night and once again was shown some beautiful Homburgs that he wears. Would you know if these are currently made hats and if so, who makes them or could they be made to order for the series as they all seem so correct for the period these episodes occur in. Currious minds want to know :)

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
mayserwegener: your collection of homburgs is amazing. I've hardly ever seen a homburg in Britain any other colour than black. Possibly because the homburg is only one social class step down from a top hat and therefore supposed to look "official". I too would really love to know where to get some of the other colours especially burgundy or beige but you just don't see em in the UK. I'm on ebay often looking.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
My personal Homburg Na... Hooverville.
groupshots0142.jpg

Grey Wormser raw edge, needs new sweatband
Tan Stetson 1970s 3X Eddie Bauer teardrop western homburg
Brown Stetson St. Regis, some stains on front of ribbon
Biltmore Imperial: moth riddled, smells like smoke, too small, but I've kept it because I eventually want to find someone who can recreate that warm grey-green felt color.

mayserwegener: your collection of homburgs is amazing. I've hardly ever seen a homburg in Britain any other colour than black. Possibly because the homburg is only one social class step down from a top hat and therefore supposed to look "official". I too would really love to know where to get some of the other colours especially burgundy or beige but you just don't see em in the UK. I'm on ebay often looking.

The vintage Homburg was usually black, gray or brown. You might see a dark blue or dark green on occasion but that is about it color wise. Black was definitely the most popular followed by different shades of gray and brown. Originally Edward's Homburg was gray only (didn't apply in the USA) but eventually black was introduced and the Homburg took on more aspects of the Bowler and Top hat (also becoming more formal). I don't think anyone today (outside of us FL fanatics) knows about the formality of the Homburg unless they are over the age of 70. In the US they are more associated with Italian mob bosses due to the Godfather films.

Last edited:
My personal Homburg Na... Hooverville.

Grey Wormser raw edge, needs new sweatband
Tan Stetson 1970s 3X Eddie Bauer teardrop western homburg
Brown Stetson St. Regis, some stains on front of ribbon
Biltmore Imperial: moth riddled, smells like smoke, too small, but I've kept it because I eventually want to find someone who can recreate that warm grey-green felt color.

Nice collection! I really like the gray Wormser. I actually prefer more taper with the tall crown. That is what the original Homburgs looked like.

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
I tend to dislike taper on a crown shape, I think probably because it reminds me of the frustration of knowing my hat is shrinking. If you get a vintage hat from the days when they used mercury, those hats seem to hold their shape wonderfully. Hence my FL name.

I guess it's personal taste but I am not in the straight side to side only crowd which is the majority on this board. Tall crowns are fine but so is a bit of taper. A good example is this P. & C. Habig Homburg of mine.

4032329977_7cb5e1e47c_b.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
The first homburg I saw that made me want to obtain one was this, from Miracle on 34th Street. I remember it having some taper on the sides, but I'm still not sure if you guys are referring to a taper as seen by profile or front view, or both.

bddefinitionmiracleon34.jpg

It's still one of my favorites and I have no idea what it is: dimensions, make, etc. Anyone know the specs on that hat?

The first homburg I saw that made me want to obtain one was this, from Miracle on 34th Street. I remember it having some taper on the sides, but I'm still not sure if you guys are referring to a taper as seen by profile or front view, or both.

It's still one of my favorites and I have no idea what it is: dimensions, make, etc. Anyone know the specs on that hat?

This one has a bit of taper side to side and (it appears) front to back (based on the crease depth and moderate crown height). The front to back taper can vary by the amount of taper and crown height plus depth of the crease (might actually cause reverse taper). The Habig I posted has a good bit of taper (open crown) front to back and side to side. It would take a really deep crease to cause reverse taper front to back.

Last edited:

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
I guess it's personal taste but I am not in the straight side to side only crowd which is the majority on this board. Tall crowns are fine but so is a bit of taper. A good example is this P. & C. Habig Homburg of mine.

4032329977_7cb5e1e47c_b.jpg

That looks great and I must admit although I prefer straight sides, when I put one on my head, It's too blocky for my face. But there can only be a little side to side taper, I really can't stand front to back taper. It really looks like the hat needs reblocking, especially on homburgs. A stingy brim can look good with a little taper but my I remember my first Indy hat which I wet and steamed too much - fussy about the bash - turned into a tall cone. Actually, I must admit my first open-crown felt was an Indy and I probably get my untapered bias from that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe