Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
You're more of a connoisseur than I, for sure (!), but could a standard Fedora really be of stiff build with a pencil-rolled and bound brim? It's hardly worth the discussion, as it's only a wool Scala, but I'm curious nonetheless.

A center crease is a Fedora / Apline crease. Homburgs have a center crease or Fedora / Alpine crease. See RLK's history of the Fedora thread for all the details. :)

Also in general Homburgs have wider ribbons (see examples in this thread).

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
A quality homburg is still on my wishlist, but I've been working on converting a Scala derby lately. I wasn't happy with the symmetry of the open crown, so here's my conversion to date. Can I put this in the homburg category, even though I put a little pop-up in the middle of the center crease (it was too low to wear with a deep crease!)? I'll call it the "derburg" just to be safe!
Before:
scalabowler.jpg
[/IMG]
Now:
005zd.jpg

008qbu.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

Very impressive. I like the new style of hat you have created. Myself, I am scared to death to try and change the shape of the crown on any of my hats. One of these days I am going to build up the strength to try it.

fmw

One Too Many
My pre-mid century gray homburg is optimized!!! The felt was in pretty good shape and the interior quite clean with a supple sweat band. The real problem was the brim binding which was worn and dirty. I sent it to Optimo to see if they could clean it. They said no. So I had them replace it. Since they didn't have a matching color we went with black and put a new matching black grograin hat band on it. Cleaned and newly blocked. The felt is perfect. It is really pretty breathtaking to see in real life. It looks like it could have come straight out of the factory brand new. Those folks are certainly serious hat craftsmen!

grayhomburg.jpg

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My pre-mid century gray homburg is optimized!!! The felt was in pretty good shape and the interior quite clean with a supple sweat band. The real problem was the brim binding which was worn and dirty. I sent it to Optimo to see if they could clean it. They said no. So I had them replace it. Since they didn't have a matching color we went with black and put a new matching black grograin hat band on it. Cleaned and newly blocked. The felt is perfect. It is really pretty breathtaking to see in real life. It looks like it could have come straight out of the factory brand new. Those folks are certainly serious hat craftsmen!

grayhomburg.jpg

fmw,
That is some FINE work!! As you said, looks like a new hat! I have always liked grey Homburgs, they looked really elegant with a Blue pinstripe suit ! Wear it well and enjoy :)

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks. Here's a shot of me wearing it as well as I know how. ;)

homburgn2.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Very impressive. I like the new style of hat you have created. Myself, I am scared to death to try and change the shape of the crown on any of my hats. One of these days I am going to build up the strength to try it.

Fear not! All you have to do is get a wool Scala, and you'll be so dissatisfied you won't be able to resist fooling with it!:p

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fmw, the homburg suits you quite nicely. Optimo has refurbished several hats for me and I have been uniformly pleased as well.

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks, gents. I guess I'm old enough to wear a hat like this gracefully. I'm a little skittish about wearing used clothing so I haven't really embraced the concept of vintage hats. However, once they get the Optimo treatment they are basically new. I could have had them replace the sweat and liner as well but they really didn't need replacement. This is one vintage hat I'll wear happily. I should also note that I've had a couple restorations from Henry the Hatter in Detroit and they have been similarly excellent as well.

Alon

One of the Regulars
It's been ages since I've posted on the Fedora Lounge. By chance I happened to come across this vintage homburg. I was taking a drive in the country side just north of Toronto, stopped at an antique market inside an old brick factory, and there it was, made to fit at 7 3/8 and with a price tag of $30. Perfect condition.

190554_10100167035306982_28117681_60455258_1429771_n.jpg

Alon

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure. The label says: Kingsway Silver Label - Exclusive with Simpsons-Sears.

Did the Sears stores have their own brand at one point in time?

Nagy Hut Wien XVI Homburg

About 58.5 cm. A unique charcoal color. Very interesting sweatband that is 2 1/4 inches in width. Very nice short hair finish with contrasting binding and frayed bow. I am thinking at least 1930s. Nagy Hut is a famous hat store in Vienna which is still in business today. I am not sure who made (paper label only has model numbers) this one for them but I think it's a real nice example of the style.

5553911276_c8c32d06fd_b.jpg

5553918094_83c717d2f7_b.jpg

5553927282_7d4e4ba55b_b.jpg

5553932802_7da367a149_b.jpg

5553932920_ec97b76614_b.jpg

5553933012_47c73588df_b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe