Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERITAGE grade Akubra Campdraft in Silver Belly Campaign

T Rick

Practically Family
Any word yet? Must be getting close...

:( Somehow, I've deleted (or lost) an email from them from a week or so ago (on how to pre-order, hadn't done so yet). I've forgotten what exactly they said, but they did tell me something specific about the progress that meant it getting close. I think the first orders would be ready in a matter of a few weeks (I know this isn't specific enough, wish I could simply paste the email here, sorry I lost it!).

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I was thinking that we should have asked if something about the Fedora Lounge could have been stamped on the sweatbands of our new Akubras. I've seen quite a few vintage Stetsons with store names and locations printed on their sweatbands. Maybe we should have asked for something like, "The Fedora Lounge, Everytown, Our State of Mind” or, "The Fedora Lounge, Convenient Locations Throughout Metropolis".

Just a thought.

AF

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I just sent an email in inquiring about a size 57, I guess it's not too late yet, or is it?
I wear a 7-1/8 in our American Stetsons and Resistiols which often have a tag that also says 57. That means that a size 57 should work, right? Are these hats known to shrink much, as I usually find 7-1/4's to be too big, unless they were to shrink a bunch.

mflemming

One of the Regulars
It shouldn't be too late as I think Hatsdirect is getting more that just the ones we have all ordered.

My Stetson 25 in 7 1/8 is a perfect fit on me and so are my size 57 Akubras. A 58 sits down on my ears. I've never noticed any shrinking in my Akubras (I have four) and the Heritage felt should be more resistant to shrinkage in any case.

Last edited:

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
It shouldn't be too late as I think Hatsdirect is getting more that just the ones we have all ordered.

My Stetson 25 in 7 1/8 is a perfect fit on me and so are my size 57 Akubras. A 58 sits down on my ears. I've never noticed any shrinking in my Akubras (I have four) and the Heritage felt should be more resistant to shrinkage in any case.

Thanks, for the info. That makes me feel better about ordering a 57, then. They sent me back an email today, with a link to the order from, so I think I will go ahead and order a size 57.

mflemming

One of the Regulars
From all the chatter in this thread, it seems if you would have a Campdraft body then allow the user to specify brim width, ribbon color & size for both edge binding & hat band you'd meet a lot of taste.

Are there any custom hatters in Australia that would have access to Akubra bodies?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I just sent an email in inquiring about a size 57, I guess it's not too late yet, or is it?
I wear a 7-1/8 in our American Stetsons and Resistiols which often have a tag that also says 57. That means that a size 57 should work, right? Are these hats known to shrink much, as I usually find 7-1/4's to be too big, unless they were to shrink a bunch.

if you will go to a fabric store ( even a major drug store) and spend about $3.00 for a fabric seamstress's tape and have someone else ( wife, GF etc) measure around where you will wear your hat, ( do not pull tape real tight unless you want the hat that tight) and take that measurement and convert to your size. This way you will not be GUESSING about your size. Here's a link to John Helmer's site and a size conversion chart. Onward thru the Fog :)
http://www.johnhelmer.com/level.itml/icOid/54

Last edited:

James71

A-List Customer
Are there any custom hatters in Australia that would have access to Akubra bodies?

Akubra hats come in so many configurations that it is a picky customer indeed that can't find one to suit. I doubt that the market, particularly in Australia would be big enough to warrant a custom service..

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
if you will go to a fabric store ( even a major drug store) and spend about $3.00 for a fabric seamstress's tape and have someone else ( wife, GF etc) measure around where you will wear your hat, ( do not pull tape real tight unless you want the hat that tight) and take that measurement and convert to your size. This way you will not be GUESSING about your size. Here's a link to John Helmer's site and a size conversion chart. Onward thru the Fog :)
http://www.johnhelmer.com/level.itml/icOid/54

Oh, I know, and I have seen those tables before, but since I have about 14 hats mostly all 7-1/8, I figured I would be ok if someone else could comfirm that they also wore the same size and it translated to this brand of hat, in 57, and many of my hats also say 57 on them, but they are American hats for the most part, however, that is good advice, and I used to have one of those soft tapes, but I guess I will have to buy another one, since I can't find it anywhere.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I know, and I have seen those tables before, but since I have about 14 hats mostly all 7-1/8, I figured I would be ok if someone else could comfirm that they also wore the same size and it translated to this brand of hat, in 57, and many of my hats also say 57 on them, but they are American hats for the most part, however, that is good advice, and I used to have one of those soft tapes, but I guess I will have to buy another one, since I can't find it anywhere.

I've worn and bought Akubra's for 32 years now and out of habit still check my head size with a tape. Since this Akubra is a special edition, and is a bit pricier than the regular models I would want to measure for sure ! Onward thru the fog :)

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I've worn and bought Akubra's for 32 years now and out of habit still check my head size with a tape. Since this Akubra is a special edition, and is a bit pricier than the regular models I would want to measure for sure ! Onward thru the fog :)

I checked mine too, tonight, but it was with a steel tape, and it measured 22-1/4 and since a 57 is supposed to measure 22-5/8", I think I will be OK with the 57. I know the steel tape is not the best, and I had it pulled a little tight, so I think it will be fine at size 57, because I wouldn't dare order a size 56.

Last edited:

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I just got done sending in my order for the size 57. I hope it's not a long wait. I have never spent this much for a single hat before, espacally one I have never even held in my hand, but I recond it's only money. If I really like it, I might try one of the Federation IV's or something close to that in a darker color, although it would be hard to justify, with all of the hats I already own.

T Rick

Practically Family
Wondering a few things. First, has anyone gotten any news here (as in have they charged the balance on your card so you know it's shipped)? Be great to hear these are starting delivery, though mine will I suspect be one of the later ones as I just finally placed my order last week (also a size 57).

Also wondering, after seeing the difference in color between the Fed IV in Tawny Fawn and the Fed IV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn (I know, different names as well as different colors), has anyone seen the Akubra Heritage Silver Belly, do we know if it's a direct match for their standard felt's Silver Belly?

Last, can someone direct me to a pic of the Camp Draft in Silver Belly just to refresh my memory/whet my appetite for the new forthcoming hat? TIA.

ETA: Ah, nix that request. I just did a simple web search and came up with LOTS of pics to keep me drooling... :)

Last edited:

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
The Akubra Overload thread has some good pics of silver belly CDs.

I only wish they offered the Fed IV Heritage or Imperial in silver belly... I guess the brim could be trimmed and the ribbon changed.

Wondering a few things. First, has anyone gotten any news here (as in have they charged the balance on your card so you know it's shipped)? Be great to hear these are starting delivery, though mine will I suspect be one of the later ones as I just finally placed my order last week (also a size 57).

Also wondering, after seeing the difference in color between the Fed IV in Tawny Fawn and the Fed IV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn (I know, different names as well as different colors), has anyone seen the Akubra Heritage Silver Belly, do we know if it's a direct match for their standard felt's Silver Belly?

Last, can someone direct me to a pic of the Camp Draft in Silver Belly just to refresh my memory/whet my appetite for the new forthcoming hat? TIA.

ETA: Ah, nix that request. I just did a simple web search and came up with LOTS of pics to keep me drooling... :)

I don't really know exactly what the differences are between some of the colors, I have looked at some of the different Fawns, and Browns in the printed catalog David Morgan has and that some are darker / lighter. It is difficult to really judge some of the colors unless your holding the two in your hands. pictures in print or on a monitor don't always catch the nuances of the colors.

Add to that the idea that the fur felts are dyed in lots and there are probably natural physical / chemical variances that contribute to colors coming out close but not exactly the same from felt to felt and batch to batch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe