Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going Atomic With Dalton

Crown Royal

One of the Regulars
Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Indeed, I believe it was TheLastCowboy that determined his "His Excellency" was made by Dalton, which seems to be accurate given what I have seen but mine might be an exception.

Certainly interesting to see an exception. Actually, my liner does not have an Eagle nor does it say “Dalton” anywhere on the inside at all but in every other way it seems identical to the ones labeled as Dalton. Yours does appear to be newer so maybe someone else made them for a while or maybe mine was not made by Dalton at all.

Another hat mystery to be sorted by the hat angels of the world to come? At least, that’s the only way I’ve found to expect answers to many of the hat riddles.

My “His Excellency” is one of my favorite hats, btw.

IMG_2502.jpeg

Crown Royal

One of the Regulars
Certainly interesting to see an exception. Actually, my liner does not have an Eagle nor does it say “Dalton” anywhere on the inside at all but in every other way it seems identical to the ones labeled as Dalton. Yours does appear to be newer so maybe someone else made them for a while or maybe mine was not made by Dalton at all.

Another hat mystery to be sorted by the hat angels of the world to come? At least, that’s the only way I’ve found to expect answers to many of the hat riddles.

View attachment 622656
Its hard for me to tell from that last photo but I think your hat has a DH in the crest above "His Excellency", no?

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Its hard for me to tell from that last photo but I think your hat has a DH in the crest above "His Excellency", no?
Good eye - I was also looking at that but I honestly couldn’t make out the second letter. But now that you say it, I believe it is “DH”.

Down Home? Don’t Hybernate? “Dalton Hats” might be a safe bet, but I am wrong so often these days that I’m not gonna make it.

Indeed, I believe it was TheLostCowboy that determined his "His Excellency" was made by Dalton, which seems to be accurate given what I have seen but mine might be an exception.

In the case of the one I posted, no determination is needed. It's a labelled Dalton through and through.

View attachment 622656

What's on the label behind the sweat, if there is one?

As it's reported the Dalton Hat Company was sold in 1953, those made after that date were likely made with the rights to the name only. The trail goes cold after 1953, unfortunately.

The design of CR's hat screams 60s to me, so it is most likely a Dalton in name only. The logos certainly seem Dalton-ish.

Additionally, I have a few hats with different markings that are also labelled "made by Dalton." I believe all of them to be pre-1953. In fact, I believe all of them are.

Crown Royal

One of the Regulars
In the case of the one I posted, no determination is needed. It's a labelled Dalton through and through.

What's on the label behind the sweat, if there is one?
Here you go, the label under the sweatband states it was produced by Men's Hats ... as nebo posted years ago in this thread, "there is a mention in the April 17th, 1952 Herald Statesman from Yonkers that Harry Siegelbaum sold the company to "Men's Hats" of Baltimore, MD." It seems like I may have the first example in this thread of a post-Dalton Men's Hats "His Excellency" lid.
1000022065.jpg

Last edited:

Crown Royal

One of the Regulars
Last edited:

Crown Royal

One of the Regulars
Some more background information on Men's Hats, Inc. below as posted by Neophyte in the AAQGAA thread ...

"M.S. Levy and Sons merged with the New England Panama Hat Company and Brigham Hopkins Co. in 1939, operating under the name of Men's Hats, Inc.. The business was prominent in both the straw and felt hat market.

The Levy's retired from the hat industry in 1959, and in 1964, Men's Hats, Inc. closed its doors permanently.
"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007